WIP advanced

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Kangal, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Ex, i'm not saying that top notch WIPs are always almost finished, someone is, someone isn't. Anyway, i've to admit that the Oscar's argumentation is stronger than mine, and at the end i've to agree with him, so better to leave things how they are. After all mine has been a proposal only, and we have debated kindly about it, so it's OK for me to do what both of u guys say since it's the most logical choice frankly :)

2. exidge

exidge Administrator

Well I think Oscar referred to your last post where you wanted to raise the average likes before it gets moved in the Advanced Forum. I still think that we need to add the rules I mentioned on top. But we should not just judge by the number of likes. I think that was also Oscars point. So your proposal still has value!

Here again the rules I suggested above:
    - Accurate and clean model
    - Good meshflow and smooth result
    - Good presentation skills (doesn't need amazing rendering results)
    - Interesting thread to follow and also learn ( maybe a very small tutorial )
    - There will be a thread in the advaced forum explaining the "how to get there"

Cheers,
    exidge

3. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Perfect, that's OK for me :)

4. Oscar J

Oscar J Well-Known Member

What I'm trying to say is that a certain amount of likes shouldn't be necessary, for as long as exidge's chritera are filled, and it clearly is an advanced WIP.

5. beacon1

beacon1 Active Member

freelance GA
    Accurate and clean model
    I agree with exidgeon this one.

- Good meshflow and smooth result
    - Good presentation skills (doesn't need amazing rendering results)
    - Interesting thread to follow and also learn ( maybe a very small tutorial )
    - There will be a thread in the advaced forum explaining the "how to get there"

Advance threads shouldn't be based on likes, its to 'facebooky'. If i'm going to mention names i'd say LuisNieves, from modeling to texturing to driver, sculpting, to final render. Such skill and quality i'd really like to achieve but still a long way to go. Getting to the advance section should weigh more than just likes recieved. imo

6. allrob

allrob Member

arch
    may be,if you delete the advanced section there will be no problem anymore
    I think that the majority of people on this site are able to apreciate the quality of work provided by each.
    Cheers.
    Robert

7. EquiNOX

EquiNOX Active Member

Freelance
    Kangal, You know, user not only click on like because of work flow. They click on like because its probably one of their favorite car too. How many likes would you think a user get if they post work of Citroen CV2, with outstanding mesh flow, test render and presentation as compared to popular cars?

8. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Well, i disagree about this because if a car is well done is well done, undependently by its nature of cheap or supercar, i think the most of the users here are skilled enough to appreciate a good work as itself.
    Anyway we have already bypassed this question, so no ''likes'' but precise rules to get the advanced section.
    Also, i'm certainly not the typical guy who collects many likes for his work (i'd rather say the opposite) so i've not pointed out the ''likes'' question to have some advantages at all, i care to underscore this . Mine has been a proposal only, nothing more.

9. exidge

exidge Administrator

What about merging "WIP Critique: Video Game & Real-Time" with "WIP Critique: 3D Stills" ?
    Same goes to "WIP Critique: Video Game & Real-Time" with "WIP Critique: 3D Advanced"

There is not much going on in the lowpoly/game forums. Do we need that separation?

Cheers,
    exidge

10. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Good idea, it gets easier the consultation and simplifies the forum.

11. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Time is passed, but i see the advanced thread question hasn't been solved yet. I'm quite sure people (me included) has not clear the exact criteria whereby some work is considered crappy (standard WIP section) and which work deserves the privilege of the advanced section. Who does decide it? The last work put there on the 25th of August (Jaguar), for example, surely isn't better of the Dave's Jaguar , or the Beacon's Ferrari LaFerrari, the Leon Devil art's F40 or the Equinox's Corvette. And, most of all, the BKS's Corvette Sting Ray...i can't believe it's in the trashy section. Damn, that's a stunning work guys!
    So, i'm asking myself why these works , which honestly are great works and nobody could say the opposite, are in the trash section and that Mentor's Jaguar (a good work, but , i repeat, not better than the others mentioned above) is in the golden section? I want to make clear i'm not speaking about my works 'cause they always have been in the garbage section and for this or that reason always will be, but this thing to separate trash from gold over time could generate some frustration to the modelers who feel their works are largely undervalued. They could even stop posting, and it would be a great leak for the site. About me, i'll keep on posting my stuff anyway, in spite of i already know both path and destination.

12. Oscar J

Oscar J Well-Known Member

It's not "trash" or "garbage" section. By saying that you're insulting me and other modelers that aren't quite top artists yet.

13. The IC

The IC uses too many smileys

3d Modelling Grunt
    Oscar J, i agree...Kangal, that seems like and extremely poor choice of words...if anything, id rather the "advanced" section didn't exist if that's the sort of attitude it generates o_O

14. Falango

Falango Active Member

3D Artist
    We aren't here to compete for the best model. I don't think people would appreciate their work being called trash or garbage. I don't think it's fair to compare someone's model against someone else's model, to judge whether it is worthy enough for a certain section on a forum. Putting the advanced forum up on a pedestal isn't going to help the community.

The IC likes this.
  15. johnas

johnas VIP

It definitely is not trash.

The fact is that advanced threads will get more views and replies. If we would keep only one WIP forum, there's always possibility that only advanced threads will get the attention. If we have forum for Advanced WIP's, other threads won't be unnoticed and sinking down from the first page.

16. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    @IC
    U say ''poor choice of words''. I say english isn't my motherlanguage. I'm quite sure if u'd try to speak italian your post would be as poor as mine in terms of refinement.

Anyway, backing to the core of the thread, i've expressed my opinion, and u've expressed yours. Ok, u guys don't like the words ''trash'' or ''garbage'' (don't u forget my works too are included in this category of course). Well, let's overwrite ''trash'' with WTAGETDSA (Works That Aren't Good Enough To Deserve Some Attention). This is the right acronym since if some company's talent scout is told to go here and see for some modeler to consider for a work, he willn't loose his time looking at the WTAGETDSA section but he'll go straight to the advanced section.
    So he'll loose forever some stunning works like the BKS Corvette, Leon Devil Art F40 , the Oscar's Agera (sorry mate i forgot u before), the Beacon's LaFerrari, the Dave's Jaguar, the Equinox's C7 just to mention the last ones.
    Besides, i've never seen someone who, during over 10 years of the site's life, has switched from the WTAGETDSA to the advanced WIP. Is it possible that none in 10 years is improved enough to do the great step? Just none?
    The truth in my opinion is that if u start as beginner u'll be always considered a beginner no matter how good is your work, your model will always stay in the WTAGETDSA. Even if your model is as good as it could come out from the screen. It looks a bit like the indian's caste system, where a pariah never will be a priest or a knight.
    People publicly say they don't care where they are, but in the deep of their mind they feel some frustration noticing how works as good as theirs (sometime even worse) are in the advanced whilst they are and always will be in between the beginners.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the stunning nasi's 458. That work is clearly advanced. If u ask me, i'd say that work is top notch , as always for nasi's creations.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  17. Tshikhudo

Tshikhudo Active Member

I personally think the term WTAGETDSA is a bit harsh cos the whole point is of the forum is to get the attention or rather opinion of other artist in order to grow as an artist so to regard the works as unworthy of attention is harsh imo or even any term that belittle someone's work to which they put a lot of hours in the making of it is discouraging to be told that the work is unworthy and the one thing that beginners need is encouragement rather than discouragement that said I dnt think the advanced section should be removed cos I can speak for myself that works in the advanced section helped me improve my modelling and also rendering seeing those works is inspirational as well as motivational I believe that thread was made to show beginner's what is possible if they put enough time in their work and not to say that the works the are better than those than are not in the advanced section maybe as kangal said there should be a better way devised to determine which of the works should to the advanced section (sorry for my bad English)

cheers!!

nasi likes this.
  18. nasi

nasi Well-Known Member

3d artist
    I, personally check both sections for new posts everyday, not everyone is at the same level with their models at any given time. Hence WORK IN PROGRESS... I dont get why people are disgruntled about the two sections, Both at any time have great works in it. This isn't facebook people, its not a popularity contest.

We should be mature enough to realize it's a place to learn alongside artists with similar interests in making kickass cg cars...

Falango and beacon1 like this.