Turbosquid Copyright Policy

This could be considered off topic but I thought Id shine some light on to this problem over at Turbosquid. Now most of you are modelers who model for your own use in renders, but a few of you are game modelers so this could pertain to you. But please be aware of thief’s who can take models you have uploaded for free and sell them on Turbosquid.

The case I'm talking about involves game cars. The community of NFSCars has experienced a very bad thief who downloaded freely available models and is now selling them for 50 to 80 dollars a piece. I warn you about using Turbosquid because there policy is very warped. I have many friends in the NFS community and the ones who sent emails to Turbosquid have yet to be acknowledged or get a reply. The thief continues to sell the cars. There are many cars that even belong to Electronic Arts from various NFS games.

Now Turbosquid only works if you can sell something, but the fact remains that theft has occurred and Turbosquid has yet to do anything.

This is what can happen when thieves take free 3d files and upload them as there own 3D Search

multimediaman

Traffic Car Connoisseur
wouldn't a workaround be to host your files on turbosquid first? that way, you could stake your claim to those rights there... you don't have to charge for them if you don't want to, but it'll still give proof enough to prevent other folks from stealing your model for resale there... shouldn't it?

dam...
I’m not likening people who do this.
Why don’t they just buy a copy of zmod and the game,
and have all of them ready for personal use?
(I’m not sating that’s right either.)

But people will be assholes.

It´s an ugly thing!
I´m modeling several years now and thought about signing my models ,but find no safe and easy way. Best will be, to sign every part of the model by modeling your name into the meshes.That means a lot of work and a higher polycount! -Only theory-...

keep on modeling!!
Frank

greenvampire

Super Moderator
I use Turbosquid quite alot, and it does have alot of flaws.... there general policy is that if the original artist doesnt contact them, then they wont take it down... which sucks.... so I can well imagine they are ignoring emails to do with the subject, even if it is the original artist.

If you could give me a link to the thief on turbosquid, and a link to where the models have been taken from, I'll post it up in the artist forum on TS and try and get the attention of someone on there.... anything to help.

ColdFlame

I have an turbosquid account too .There is one more type of stealer there.My mate experienced it .There was a model he made and sold at $20 dollars.....One guy bought it and tataaaa guess what ? The next week that some guy/same guy was selling the exact same model with exact renders at higher price....Oh well turbosquid sucks by many ways.Aint there any else ways we can sell our models legally on our own site and such ???

good thing i read this, and the nfscars post just so i can get on it pretty quick... the countach (x3) that that guy has availiable has been onsale since the start of 2004 on my account.

my general way of knowing is i have specific errors (ie extra vents, or something small in the design that i know about in the meshes, that generally get missed by people so it helps when i need to find out if a car is mine pretty quick... it kinda works too, plus sticking any publicly availiable models on TS means its easier to prove the orginal source.

lol, most of my stuff on TS is shit and really old. I just dont bother anymore with that site.

Well some good news all, it seems some progress has been made on this issue. I'm sure there are many other like this happening that are unknown to me or anyone else yet but for now this one has been nicked. 28 files remaining. Personally I think that his account should have be terminated and his IP banned from Turbosquid since there were definitly more than one case going on there.

wow! some peoples should get a life. Easy money.. But aren't it rules for this kind of stuff? I know there some way to leave some type of code in side your files. Maybe that cud be something? Then again problaby some hacker will find away to put his own print on it..

Too bad some people take advantage of others models..
Feel sorry for those people who have experienced this..

greenvampire

Super Moderator
Looks like all of his content has been removed now... he's complaining about it in the forums.... oh and Endo, hes also claiming that the Lambo on your acount is his.... but nothing will come of it, hes just being childish.

Hope he stays off turbosquid, no doubt he will appear again though under a different username... so everyone keep an eye out :)

Personally I think that his account should have be terminated and his IP banned from Turbosquid since there were definitly more than one case going on there.

they dont remove thiefs accounts, even when a thief was selling 20 models and you have proved that 10 of them was stolen from you, turbosquid agent will remove just those 10 models with a big mercy and leave the rest, because THEY MAY BE NOT STOLEN....

anyway, now I am trying to remove 3 of my models, an I want to ask for advice

links are:
3D max Harley Davidson model
3D max CBR model of
3D max trailer semi car

I have contacted with TS a week ago, I have written email in a form as they want (hopefully, as I dont know good english) I have provide my oryginal files
and still no resoult..
what else can I do?

I dont expect to bann this user, but at least remove just my own models from this f***** thiefs shop!!!

greenvampire

Super Moderator
they dont remove thiefs accounts, even when a thief was selling 20 models and you have proved that 10 of them was stolen from you, turbosquid agent will remove just those 10 models with a big mercy and leave the rest, because THEY MAY BE NOT STOLEN....

anyway, now I am trying to remove 3 of my models, an I want to ask for advice

links are:
3D max Harley Davidson model
3D max CBR model of
3D max trailer semi car

I have contacted with TS a week ago, I have written email in a form as they want (hopefully, as I dont know good english) I have provide my oryginal files
and still no resoult..
what else can I do?

I dont expect to bann this user, but at least remove just my own models from this f***** thiefs shop!!!
Hi wiewior,
There is actually a thread in the turbosquid forums about that particular artist, and debates on whether or not their models are stolen (this is among other TS members... not staff),
I do belive that your models have been mentioned, but I will post in the thread just to let people know you have sent TS a takedown notice for those models.
TS take ages to reply, but I would just keep sending them more and more emails untill something gets done...
in my opinion Turbosquid are very unproffesional and lazy when it comes to the legal side of things, they simply dont want to know... unless they are removing models for big companies complaning of infringement (like Ford and BMW)

like I say though, ill post about your models again, keep it updated... I would advise you to hound turbosquid with emails untill something is done.
good luck :)

greenvampire : hey, thats very interesting, do you have alink to him complaining about the takedown? I looked but couldnt find anything. I'm not very familiar,however with where certain discussion would be.

greenvampire

Super Moderator
yeah no problem IceKid, heres the links:

(You have to be logged in to view them as they are restricted access to members)

C.D. complaining : Turbo Squid -- Available Forums

Sara3D Thread 1 :
Turbo Squid -- Available Forums

Sara3D thread 2:
Turbo Squid -- Available Forums

Since the "Sara3D thread2" seems to be more popular and has discussed the stolen models, I posted the info in there.

I would also like to note that I have replied in both the C.D. and Sara3D threads as a nuetral party as I did not want to take sides straight away as I do not know the facts of any of the stolen models, and simply do not have time to look more indepth at the arguements... so whilst it may look like I am giving benifit of doubt to a thief... I am mearly just not getting myself involved in something I dont know enough about....
(I am G.V.Graphics on turbosquid btw lol)

hope that this all gets sorted out though... it seems turbosquid is slipping more.... there is even a thread been started about a seller on TS linking people to a russian site where they can purchase 3D apps for cheap.... so far it hasnt been taken down either... I get the impression they simply dont care... to be honest I think its not going to be long before I go to different sites with my content and just totally leave TS.

yes, after 8 days of waiting i'v finaly get a removing confirmation from TS, thanks for your help!!

actualy SARA3d was selling my other models a time before, and I am quite shure that there would be also other models in the future.

I think sara3d take models from 3dcadbrowser or emule, as they are usualy preety old models, but if TS would have a good will, they should at least provide me IP or any personal data of this user to bann him at all of the net model shops. But they wont help me anything.

so I hope there would be not just my models stolen, but also models of some USA resident, then, there would be a chance to sue TS and give them a lesson of a propriety

greenvampire

Super Moderator
I am glad that justice was finally served for you,
I also have no doubt that sara3d will be selling other stolen models... infact I am pretty sure he still is (there is still an argument over his other vehicle + construction models).

Unfortunatly it would be a bad idea to provide personal data of any user... criminal or not, as it could be used for more than just banning ;)

Hopefully Turbosquid will get a wake-up call, because they currently are knowingly hosting stolen models, from various artists.

Congrats on getting your models removed, hopefully sara3d will get whats coming to him (despite the name sara... it is actually a bloke lol)