The massive request (got a car? got a camera? you can help!)

Discussion in 'Blueprints: Requests' started by multimediaman, Nov 25, 2004.

1. multimediaman

multimediaman Traffic Car Connoisseur

GUI Artist
    okay, I'm planning on getting a massive load of blueprints for donating to this site... however, I need your participation for that to be possible...

see, right now, I'm sure many of you are aware of my Motor City project ("Toy Car Movie Project" thread, in WIPs). Now, I plan on making blueprint renders from all my toy cars, and other vehicles, as some of you might have noticed my airbus A300 airplane blueprint, and SD40 locomotive, and TTX TTGX Autorack rolling stock train car blueprint...

so anyway, unless there's a real-car blueprint on site, I'm planning on giving you all blueprints made from the cars I make in 3d during this project.

However... I'm sure all of you are aware that hot wheels and matchboxes aren't the most detailed/accurate models... So now to get to my request.

If you've got a digital camera, and if you have a car, or cars, or access to a car, or cars.... then you can help me get more blueprints.

You might not need the blueprints to your own vehicle, but others out there would surely find your vehicle blueprints quite helpful....

so anyway, I say digital camera because that would be an awful huge request for someone with a regular camera, as it needs almost 40 pictures to properly work. I will start by showing the reason I need so many pictures.

This image,
    [​IMG]
    shows the difference between an actual blueprint and a mere traced photo. The most noticable difference is on the front view, the shape of the car's edge is actually visible, almost no guesswork to get the profile topology along the side of the vehicle. Also the cabin of the vehicle is shaped dramatically different, as well as the lines running along the hood of the vehicle.

This image,
    [​IMG]
    basically shows what I actually trace in Illustrator in order to get the blueprints. It's basically a compilation of all the photos in the same image file....

and now for the details. Basically for this method to work properly, the center of the picture has to line up with key angles on the vehicle.

Any angle that would be distorted from perspective would need a picture centered along that area. Say you take a picture of the front of a car.... well, that's going to leave everything but the very center of the front of the car distorted. So you've got to take a picture of the side of the car as well... but then the top and bottom are still distorted... so anyway, I've worked out a general theoretical "image targets" placement guideline.

so if you take the pictures of your vehicle with the camera pointed and aligned with the crosshairs shown in this picture,
    [​IMG]
    and then I will be able to get blueprints of your vehicle(s)! :D

... so yeah, now for the technicalities.

Due to size issues, it would probably be best if you upload a .zip file either here, or onto your own hosting service. I will edit this post later, assuming anyone replies, with the current person's work I'm working on, and who's .zip files I've received, in case you want to remove them from here, or your web host, after I've received them, to save space. I will also notify people as to who's blueprints I'm currently working on, in a similar post-editing fashion.

---------

*tips for reducing file sizes, so I don't have to suffer through dialup torture*

-photoshop/paint shop pro/gimp users-

1) crop picture just a few pixels outside of the vehicle.
    2) use the lasso tool to select around the car, which doesn't need to be precise at all, just as long as some background is removed. Fill the background you've selected with white
    3) uniformly scale each image so that the width is 512 pixels. Height doesn't matter, since the image was uniformly scaled
    4) save out images as JPEG format with the following options:
    - Optimized
    - Quality 50% (unless some details are noticeably not showing up, then raise quality just until that detail is visible enough to get the idea what it looks like

-ms paint users

1) The Gimp download should still be free from their website... go get that so you can finally use a decent image editor, then follow the above steps. You'll thank yourself later :p
    2) if you really don't want The Gimp, then don't alter anything. If your camera saves out as .JPG, .PNG, or .TGA give me those files. If it saves as .BMP, and if your version of ms paint can save .JPG files, then by all means do so, but don't rescale the images, since uniform scaling does not exist on ms paint

... anyway, MUCH thanks to anyone at all who can get me pictures of their vehicles.

I don't have a preference as to what types of vehicles I get. If it's a vehicle, I'll be happy with it. So yeah, much thanks!! hopefully we can get some great prints from this!

.. oh yeah, also, please tell me the name of the vehicle, the manufacturer, and the date, or at least approximate date of the vehicle, either in your post, or simply name the .zip file something like 1993PontiacGrandAm.zip

2. warpen

warpen New Member

ill get you pics as soon as i can but at themoment my cameras not installed and my cars not here (well the one that runs any way)

ill edit this poast when i have the pics for you

3. TomiL

TomiL The Land Cruiser Maniac

I would take pics, but It´s winter in Finland and all cars are covered of snow:(
    Maeby in summer.

BTW. Do I have to take 40 pics of the car :?: and do I have to do those red spots on the image or do you do it :?: :?: :?: Sorry for my english :oops:

I could take pics of:
    Toyota Hiace 4x4 2003
    Ford Sierra 3door 1986
    Toyota Corolla 1.6 sedan 1990

4. code32

code32 New Member

Hey id love to do that!

I can photograph our
    *Mercedes-Benz 300SE '86
    *Opel Vectra Caravan V6 CDTI '03
    *BMW K1200RS (motorbike)

And later on our
    *Renault Laguna Break 1.8 '01
    yet its in Finland so its probally covered with snow too... :)

5. BAZTA

BAZTA New Member

Please try to find Nissan Maxima 95-99 to make the fotos\bllueprints!

6. Grungy Harry

Grungy Harry New Member

That's an idea i love! :D Your blueprints rock. Too bad it's winter here aswell but i can take pix from 1/18 scale models (pretty accurate)-the '64 Marauder and '70 Dodge Coronet. :wink: Plus getting some real car photos when the spring comes...

7. multimediaman

GUI Artist
    ok yeah, that would be good... any and all vehicles I'm more than willing to accept

and to rallydriver, yeah, for the best blueprint turnout, about 40 pictures would be needed... I could do it in less, but the chances of accuracy are much much less than with the full number.

The red crosshairs are just to show where the camera should point while taking each picture, please don't add them to the photos once you've taken them...

hopefully this animation should further demonstrate what I'm needing

[​IMG]

8. johnas

johnas VIP

Well that explains alot! Too bad that I don't own digital camera yet. :(

9. Icekid84

Icekid84 VIP

you know... if your worried about perspective which is the annoyance of most blueprints, then the best bet is to get really far from the car and if you had a power lense which is where the problem is hehe then you could zoom in and most perspective would be gone.I have a digital camera maybe I could take pictures of my 93 Coupe Civic which would actually help out here since you cant find prints for that car anywhere, and Ive seen plenty of request for it.

10. multimediaman

GUI Artist
    Well, yeah, that's my goal is to eliminate perspective, but it takes a really nice lens and at least half a mile of separation between you and the car before you can really get decent blueprint-quality photos of the vehicle... not sure anyone would be willing to park their car somewhere then walk half a mile away from it, take a picture, then walk the boundaries of the car and take another picture and repeat... but hey, it could happen.

Anyway, yeah, if you could get pictures of anything, I'll be willing to make prints of them... I suppose the bare minimum number of pictures would be 3 for the side, 2 for the front, and 2 for the back if you have a fairly good zoom camera... but still, for most digital cameras, their lens can't zoom well, so that's why I ask for so many pictures...

also, like what someone from another forum did, many people would just take the pictures in their driveway instead of somewhere they could get far away from the pictures. Fortunately, the amount of pictures they gave me really helps eliminate the perspective, even though it was so noticeable... almost looked like fish-eye photos O_O

I also got the opportunity to take some pictures of a fire truck and a Peterbilt 378... or some number, I'll have to research the design, but yeah.

Anyway, so far as it stands, I've got these prints lined up, in this order:

1) 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
    2) 1999 Chevrolet Malibu
    3) 2002 Nissan Altima
    4) 1998 Chevrolet Camaro
    5) 1997 Chevrolet Pickup
    6) 1990's Firetruck
    7) 1984 Peterbilt 378?
    8·) Boeing 727
    9) Bell 206B JetRanger II
    10) Bell 206L LongRanger III

Vehicles I'd like to obtain:

11) 1994 Chevrolet Caprice
    12) 1997 Ford Crown Victoria
    13) 1998 Ford Crown Victoria
    14) 1976 Ford LTD
    15) 1984 Ford LTD
    16) 1981 Dodge Aeris K
    17) 1981 Plymouth Reliant K
    18·) 1983 Buick LeSabre (sedan and wagon)
    19) 1974 Buick Riviera

11. Icekid84

Icekid84 VIP

I'm kind of taking more interest in this and I think it has a lot of potential. Its a lot of work for multimediaman but I think I'll give his post a sticky and also show the camaro he put in blueprint donation forum :)

[​IMG]

12. Sno

Sno Member

Are you intrested in a mitsubitshi lancer (station) (And not the 2003 version. >OLDER ONE<). We own one. :p

And a suzuki bike. Damn old :p. And its a Gt. If i'm right..?? well that one is kinda stuck in the junk in our garage....

13. multimediaman

GUI Artist
    personally I don't really have any preference overall on which cars are submitted, and which ones aren't... the only ones I'm really wanting at the moment is a 1974 buick riviera... but that's only because it's the idaho in gta3/vc, and I was wanting to convert that to a hot wheels' car since it's not already... perhaps if you know someone with a car that you know has a counterpart in gta, then by all means, see if you can get pictures of it...

14. Sno

Sno Member

Why dont you play the game and make some screenshots during replay ??

Or look on mods websites of gta. And search de mod of that car or the base or search in the files of gta. :p

15. multimediaman

GUI Artist
    well, it's the accuracy that I'm wanting... I'm not sure how the gta vehicles were made, and they certainly don't have the realistic features I'm looking for...

anyway, in case anyone was thinking of giving me more pictures to work with, I'm going to have to request that you be about 20-80 feet away from the vehicle for the pictures.. I just got done with a malibu rear print that was taken from about 4 feet of the vehicle and that was about the most painful thing I've ever done... hopefully it's reasonably accurate still... also, might want to consider using a tripod so the images are the same heights and angles, as some of those pictures I had to distort quite a bit due to odd angles, height discontinuity, and other aspects working against the images turning out... I guess getting proper photos is like a work of art... even I have to go out to reshoot still heh

16. Jille

Jille VIP

wow, never saw this thread before, but I will defenately make some huge pics of a lot of cars soon!!!

multimediaman: are you doing this by hand? or with some automated tool?

17. multimediaman

GUI Artist
    I do the stuff by hand, using photoshop to align and combine the images, and if the final results are good enough, and simplistic enough, then I use Illustrator to create the line art for the blueprints

18. Jille

Jille VIP

whoa, great respect for doing this!
    I used Canon Photostitch once for merging a set of car-pics, but it didn't turn out that well...

Maybe we (the SMC-crew) can get this thing a bit more organized, and get people to actually post pictures of their own cars?

edit: created a topic referring to this in General Discussion: http://www.smcars.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=70550#70550

19. Daz_Genetic

Daz_Genetic New Member

It's important that you actually move the cameras position to be aligned with each focus point, rather than simply standing in one spot and taking all the photos. I know that most of you guys already understand that, but for those that don't, it's very important.

20. WhtMk3Drvr

WhtMk3Drvr Member

just a thought, change the crosshairs to numbers. The numbers can then make the order of pictures taken, and no hassle for you to find. for example, #1 top front, #2 mid front, #3 bottom front, etc etc...
    Approximately how long does this take, because i know the task will get dounting with 500 people asking you to MAKE BLUEPRINTS OF THIS AND THAT AND THE OTHER... As well, does someone want to make a topic of
    RARE blueprints that are in dire need. Lets say POPULAR CARS. Not cars like 1997 Toyota corolla suzuki motorcycles covered with trash... pretty much the cars you all have in your garage... If this didnt take too long id be willing to travel down to several dealerships including the amazing exotic dealership down in la jolla (one of the nicest places in san diego).