[tank] LWS (1940)

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Moritzamica, Dec 13, 2010.

  1. Moritzamica

    Moritzamica Super Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2006
    Messages:
    3,245
    Likes Received:
    1,190
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Gender:
    Male
    Development of Landwasserschlepper (Land-Water-Tractor) started in 1936, but first 7 vehicles were completed in July of 1940. Additional 14 were produced by March of 1941. It was designed by Rheinmetall-Borsig as an amphibious vehicle for the use by engineers but it lacked storage and loading/unloading access. To overcome this problem, special 10 and 20 ton amphibious trailers were made. It carried 3 to 5 men crew and 20 passangers. Another problem was that it was unarmored and could operate effectively in the combat area. LWS saw service in Russia and North Africa.
     

Share This Page