SMCars Upgrade and Migration To XenForo

All pictures are worthy of being opened Kangal, no matter the artist's skills! That's what the forum is about. ;)

Would it be possible to have the old smileys back? These are just... too much --> :)
Yes, the old smileys can be brought back. Note taken!

I hate to be a broken record, but again I would like to add all of these and other features with the upgrade.

We will most likely upgrading on Sunday, August 11! I'm pretty firm on that!

TwoOneOne

Administrator
is the search working properly?
everytime i try to find something i get the weird feeling that the results are limited to only newly created threads.

is it me? or is there something wrong/different?

TwoOneOne

Administrator
in the old forum you were able to see the online useres browsing a subforum or thread.
is there a chance to get this display with the new forum?

cheers

TwoOneOne

Administrator
how hard would it be to actually update the design of the page and bring back the headers?

i did a quick mock up of a more modern/flat design which i think would fit the new forum quite nicely.

flatdesign.jpg

Oscar J

everytime i try to find something i get the weird feeling that the results are limited to only newly created threads.

It's definitely not just you - I can't even find my old threads if I don't use google!

Actually, when I go to Google Images and search for a car, I see an SMCars image, but when I click on Visit Page, it just shows me an Error, the forum was not found.. I've seen this way too many times in the last couple of days!

We will be installing elasticsearch on our forum.

XenForo Enhanced Search is designed to give significantly better search performance and additional search options to your users. It is built on top of elasticsearch, which is in turn built on top of Lucene. This gives excellent performance, even with millions of pieces of content. Elasticsearch allows nearly infinite scalability and redundancy by silently allowing searches to be run across multiple servers. Additionally, you benefit from a very small stopword list and no minimum word length, allowing nearly any search to return meaningful results. Elasticsearch also provides support for returning results based on how relevant they are to your search. You can select relevancy ordering on the advanced search page.
I hope it will solve this problem. I don't think it is only you. Migrations are never easy, but VBulletin had to go!

in the old forum you were able to see the online useres browsing a subforum or thread.
is there a chance to get this display with the new forum?

cheers
I loved that feature as well. There is a similar add-on for xenforo but it creates an excessive mysql database calls and is very inefficient. Xenforo community does not recommend that add-on. As soon as I find something viable, it will be installed.

Actually, when I go to Google Images and search for a car, I see an SMCars image, but when I click on Visit Page, it just shows me an Error, the forum was not found.. I've seen this way too many times in the last couple of days!
I am aware of the situation. It came to my attention as soon as we upgraded. Xenforo handles attachments very differently then VBulletin. I am looking for a solution for it as well. Like I said before, migrations are never easy. I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks you all for you comments and feedback! I hope you all agree that VBulletin had to go. We kept getting hacked and there was nothing we could do about it.