SMCars 2011 Summer Contest - Top Gear Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nashwan

Why dont we just make paint jobs free?
I'd imagine Everybody will want one, so it's not like it's an interesting choice of what we'd spend our budget on.

I reckon they cheat on the show quite a bit for the sakes of entertainment maybe we should loosen up too.

The character of the cars on those top gear challenges often comes in the form the 'improvised' repairs they do. Not sure how we could do the same here, perhaps we only buy salvage/wrecked cars, (even wrecked exotics)? And do the repairs in a top gear fashion ourselves using duct tape and bits of wood?. It'd be an interesting modelling challenge, and an interested challenge to attempt to make it look good and like a 'real' repair. Does this make any sense at all?

Eek so many questions! :D

This is not only lowpoly contest. There are own wip forums for low and hipoly entries. These two will be judged separately. Sorry, rules didn't make this clear enough.

As rules said you must provide link or screenshot from the place you bought the car or upgrade. For example: Mercedes-Benz 500 SEC Coupe

Budget is 5000 euros (about 7240usd, 4506gbp). If you cannot find good car from your own country you can also use another. I couldn't find decent car from Finland so I'm gonna use Mobile.de which is in Germany. It doesn't matter where you are at and where you buy the car from. Of course if You think it'd be better to use only Mobile.de that would be allright to me.

Mechanical problems are hard to judge in this contest but you have to buy a car which you think would be able to survive to the end :)

@thomashowes_5
You got 1200$ to buy mechanical upgrades, rims or paint job. I know it's hard to find price for them but it's one part of the contest. We will try to find few examples to help you.

Why dont we just make paint jobs free?
I'd imagine Everybody will want one, so it's not like it's an interesting choice of what we'd spend our budget on.

I reckon they cheat on the show quite a bit for the sakes of entertainment maybe we should loosen up too.

The character of the cars on those top gear challenges often comes in the form the 'improvised' repairs they do. Not sure how we could do the same here, perhaps we only buy salvage/wrecked cars, (even wrecked exotics)? And do the repairs in a top gear fashion ourselves using duct tape and bits of wood?. It'd be an interesting modelling challenge, and an interested challenge to attempt to make it look good and like a 'real' repair. Does this make any sense at all?
It does make sense of course :)

Meaning of the contest is to make you model a car that could be in Top Gear. If you think you would want to make improvements with wood and duct tape it's fine. If you want to paint the car with spray cans do so, all we need is a proof how much it costs.

I don't want to make too much restrictions, it will only kill inspiration. Everyone is free to use their imagination and it is important to use it to make your model unique :)

multimediaman

Traffic Car Connoisseur
This is a very cool contest concept indeed....

I would very much like to enter this - and what you can expect from my ebay perusal is:

1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV Lipstick Edition (white with dark "lipstick red" interior, great condition)
Buy it Now price: $4,000.00 USD

1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham with Custom 20" Wheels and T-Top (white with beige interior, suffers interior damage to floor carpeting, and other interior issues)
Buy it Now price : $4,499.99 USD

1978 Lincoln Continental Mark V Cartier Edition with Sunroof (Maroon with maroon/white interior, excellent condition)
Buy it Now price: $4,200.00 USD

1978 Mercury Cougar XR7 (white with brown interior, excellent condition)
Buy it Now price: $3,978.00

1983 Cadillac Seville (cream with cream interior, great condition, non-functional A/C)
Buy it Now price: $2,995.00

1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona T-top (white and black, nascar decal trimwork, grey interior, good condition, seat apholstery torn, but runs properly)
Buy it Now price: $2,000.00 USD

other, not-yet-summarized vehicles (I'll update this post later) include:

1986FordLTD_LX
1989ChryslerTCConv
1990FordMustangConvertible
1990FordThunderbirdSC
1991ToyotaMR2
1992ChryslerLeBaron
1994ToyotaCelica
1998ChevroletLumina
2000SaturnLS
2001SaturnSL2
1980ChevroletCitationX_11
1994Volvo940Sedan

Can't wait to start upgrading these vehicles XD

I don't have the links to them handy, but I have the web page saved out for each one... once I choose the car I'd most like to enter, I'll upload it, and all upgrade web pages into a zip and upload that.

Well for painting I would say you could go with aprox. values. Like for a can of spray paint (you must make it look like a mess, involving UV Textures) it could cost 100€. For a one color paint it could go for 350€ while a elaborate paintjob could cost 600€.

Just some random values btw, i don't really know the price of painting a car.

Astr0s

Super Moderator
I believe providing screenshot and a link to the car you use would be good, that way if the car ad happens to be closed during the competition (which is more than likely) we'd have easy access to review it.

helicase

this is low poly only? I don't know how to count the poly's for nurbs, I don't convert it to poly , i just render it as nurbs.

Second time Johnas explained and I understood the same again... Maybe I'm dumb? :D
Yeah, weird. But that would be weird because some people get more money than others, and some cant buy anything at all because 5000 japanese yen are like 60$ or 40 Euros. Have fun getting a car with that. :D

Also, this is a lowpoly and highpoly contest, only the lowpoly entries got a polybudget of 30k tris. You can find the highpoly contest section in the highpoly WIP section. :)

@MMM: Get the Maserati TC, the Lumina or Saturns. :D

I also wanna remind that forums and craigslist as car source should be alright as well, as long there are pictures and no auction/the car isnt sold already.

Seems like my earlier post from this morning caused misunderstanding about the budget so I edited it a little. Sorry about that, never should post when in hurry

There's no own topic for lowpoly, it has same rules mostly except it has polybudget of 30000 tris and max resolution for textures are 2048*2048. When you are ready to start start your wip topic here Work in Progress: Top Gear Challenge (lowpoly entries) - Scratch Made Cars - Car Blueprints Forum

@Helicase
Contest is for hi and lowpoly :)

Wip forums for highpoly entries is here Work in Progress: Top Gear Challenge (hipoly entries) - Scratch Made Cars - Car Blueprints Forum

DodgeBoy

Why don't we make it easy with the paint jobs? Maaco offers $250 dollar paint jobs which are perfect for Top Gear.

BTW do we model our cars the way we bought them or do we model them after all the mods have been applied?

Yeah, weird. But that would be weird because some people get more money than others, and some cant buy anything at all because 5000 japanese yen are like 60$ or 40 Euros. Have fun getting a car with that. :D
You can buy a car from anywhere in the world, so you just need to check at XE - The World's Favorite Currency and Foreign Exchange Site to convert the local currency to Euros.

I think I'm gonna look for some Japanese exotica, gonna need that reliability for the endurance race :D

Status
Not open for further replies.