SMC V2.0 goes online

Discussion in 'News and Events' started by exidge, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astr0s

Astr0s Super Moderator

IT-support
    I, for one, believe that this discussion has reached the attention of those in charge, and should there be further discussion on the matter, us mortals need not take part in it :)

2. salim

salim Administrator

Senior 3D artist
    let's just be stupide for some few sec then we will be back to the topic :
    <<" You create a site with a ripped frontpage template which "accidentally" looks like cg cars structure, you've stolen the look and feel of cg cars, you've stolen in every edge a little bit, the structure, some gfx stuff, you've stolen features ( Software Icons, and I'm sure the Gallery will be a RIP as well). And all without a spark of shame. ">>

oh guys i wanted to go to CG-cars but SMCars look fooled me, so i'm in SMCars instead of CG-cars, damn it ! they looks a like .
    is this what you want us to swallow ?

the look of the site isn't that important dude ! it's all about the comunity even if we feel like printing our work and going to a place to exchange knowledge we will do it cause that's what SMC is about .

so please stop this kind of Flam , " oh SMC start to have it's form now, no way we should leave it , it just looks like jalousy speaking .

most of us are CG-cars users too and active there more then here . so is it that bad if we have two home ?

please keep this kind of child discussions out of here , and personal problems can always be solved by Personal Messages .

cheers

3. Karybda

Karybda New Member

Artist
    Thats not correct. cg cars doesn't use Joomla.

@ Duron

lol...ye we talk about the color.

4. dave_3d

dave_3d Super Moderator

When CGcars started I thought it did use Joomla. I haven't checked recently with their last update. Edit : see it is vBulletin CMS. Content Management System. But then if SMCars uses Joomla and CGcars uses vBulletin how can they be copying ? And CGtalk used a dark colour scheme LONG before CGcars.

But the idea of a Portal front page is NOTHING new. At all. No matter what coding you use to deliver it.

Jog on. Get over it.

Dave

5. nasi

nasi Well-Known Member

3d artist
    What we must all realise is that the site is one thing: Free. Yet, people complain as though they are getting shafted for a service. The work that goes into a site and it's upkeep isn't free - money or time wise.

So, why do people feel so uncontrollably angry at what has been done to the site's appearance!? The forum activity and members are the same so it makes no sense in squabbling back and forth...

I for one feel indifferent about the change. As long as it functions the same it's fine, if it looks good and has a few new features, BONUS!

As others have said no car manufactorer gets bent out of shape when another uses the same paint scheme and style of door trimming, so why the rage?

6. johnas

johnas VIP

It's good to have support from others though ^^

If tone of the conversation keeps good everyone can join the conversation

@Karybda
    I got my eyes open...

7. Astr0s

Astr0s Super Moderator

IT-support
    Indeed, I do agree, but the tone certainly was not friendly here. While people argue, you can still respect one another. That being our number one rule :p

8. Karybda

Karybda New Member

Artist
    CG Cars uses a complete self coded Frontpage (based on VB CMS) with a complete self designed template. You wont find it anywhere in the web.

Exidge take a template _(if he bought it or not is not my problem) and give it a cg cars look alike...structure, etc.

Thats the point. Nobody talks about the color scheme...we talk about look and feel, structure and borrowed ideas.

9. nallen00

nallen00 New Member

CEO, The Hubb Inc.
    Hmm...this really is a tricky subject, guys - from both sides - so let me hop up on the fence and try to be as objective as possible.

As the owner of a web services company, I have spent lots of time and money doing everything possible to protect our site's look and feel. This is what j.becker referred to as "trade dress". Trade dress falls under trademark law, and very simply, is exceedingly difficult to protect. Don't assume the "look and feel" of your site is protected by copyright alone...it isn't.

But that also doesn't grant me the right to go copy-paste another site's template, tweak a few items, and call it inspiration. You have to be careful here. "Look and feel" doesn't rely on artwork alone, it encompasses the entire aesthetic. For instance, if the logos are removed, is it possible to say one site is definitively NOT related to the other? If there is any doubt, then you might have a case for trade dress infringement.

With that said, is it worth the trouble to cause trouble with the other service? Are you losing subscribers or money? This is where it gets tricky. Especially when there is a real trade dress issue. In this case (and I'm just being honest here), I see a clear trade dress issue on the frontpage at SMCars. Solution? There's no easy answer.

One might be for SMCars to credit CGCars for inspiring their frontpage design, or if both parties are willing, that SMCars is authorized to use the design, crediting ownership of the original concept to CGCars. Whatever the case, this should be a private conversation between site owners, not a public flame war. We are (mostly) adults here, and a little professionalism goes a long way in situations like these.

As a side note, CGCars will be connecting to our service in the coming weeks, and will appear on our banner at Internet Summit this November. My company is sponsoring Internet Summit, and plans to have ~100 communities and ~50,000,000 effective users connected before the end of the year. We are proud to have CGCars as a founding member, and welcome the possibility of connecting SMCars as well.

I hope this helps. I hate to see any community suffer over an issue like this. CGCars has a very unique look and feel. SMCars (at the moment) is slightly less unique imo, but are obviously making an effort to define their space and create a unique environment. I would urge the owners to connect and figure this out. If you like, I would be happy to join the conversation.

Nate, Mod, CGCars.com

MZtkagdira likes this.
  10. Panesar

Panesar VIP

Student
    So what are you arguing about? The sites do look different. Sure there is a similar structure, but aren't all forums of a very similar structure. Dark colour schemes are everywhere, they are just much neater and less eye-sore than brighter or more colourful schemes.

If I'm honest, most of the new websites have borrowed extensively from facebook - the realtime updated web-forum. This happens in all walks of life, Audi invented LED's in their head/tail lights, but they don't bitch about other car manufacturers who have done the same. Even then, they would have some right to, but it's not even like the admins of the sites are arguing over this, its some anonymous member...

Duron likes this.
  11. johnas

johnas VIP

How can you know these details by the way? I might be blind but I cannot see these facts written anywhere at CG-Cars

12. Duron

Duron Super Moderator

Senior 3D Artist | Mackevision Stuttgart
    +999999 ;)

13. dave_3d

dave_3d Super Moderator

You are clutching at straws - signs of desperation.

Exidge based the layout on this : http://demo.gavick.com/joomla15/jul2010/ joomla template. A template designed as an information portal, as many other templates are.

As you can CLEARLY see Gavick designed the basic layout, following the basic style of a million other information portals. You are not seriously saying that Gavick stole the design, feel and structure from CGcars are you ? That's laughable. If you have a problem with that go talk to Gavick.

And if you wish to discuss this further, how about coming out from behind your newly registered mask ? Why are you afraid to show yourself ?

Ironically the more you moan about this on both Forums, the more traffic it generates here.

Dave

14. Karybda

Karybda New Member

Artist
  15. johnas

johnas VIP

You didn't answer my question, don't make me do silly assumptions here.

So how do you know those details about the cg-cars frontpage?

16. Duron

Duron Super Moderator

You should work as a comedian. :)

17. salim

salim Administrator

Senior 3D artist
    @ Karybda : how old are you dude ?

yes this is a good question even if it seams offtopic !

18. Duron

Duron Super Moderator

We should leave him eLone ;)

19. exidge

exidge Administrator

Hello,

We will distance from (the similarities?) very soon, so both parties should't have anything to complain about.
    Any personal complains, write me a PM. :)

Cheers,
    exidge

CLOSED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.