SMC v.2 Update Ideas

OldDog

Hello Everyone.

OK. I gave few ideas to Exidge, and he asked me to make a thread about it. So here it is.

My main goal is for us to unite our ideas, and make this one hell of a good community!
Feel free to comment, and give critic on mine, and everyone else's ideas ^^

You all Love games in witch you can customize your Car, Avatar, your Character, the more customization the more fun it is, so why not make a website as customizable as it can be ;)

Long story, short, for those who don't like reading a lot :p
I wish to make SMC the most customizable community, so that every user can enjoy, the look of our community.
now, My first idea is to make it Color customizable, or as i figured it out, make few 3-4-5... styles that users can chose from.
I made few pictures of the Most simple color changes ( and i didn't believe it ) I print screen the webpage like 5-10 minutes before the update. you can view them in the attachments.
So that is the easiest way.

Long story

Since i know just a little about php and css, (learned few things back in 2008 :S mostly forgot every thin.) I'm not sure all my ideas are possible, I wrote about the simple one (the customizing of CSSheets) so I'll leave it behind, now what comes in handy is to actually be able to have more textures uploaded, in those styles.being able to change the looks fully ! and those changes should be only available whit styles, but...

...There is also one more thing, being able to upload your own picture for the header. Ocf image size restriction, and only one image per account, to take out minimum space from the server. and may be leaving the SMC logo over the image that user uploaded would be good, we still want people to know on what website we are, when we log on in public ;)

Creating your own custom pictures for the header is one thing, but only you can see it , so making a thread , and sharing all those pictures whit all of us would also be interesting.

Well that would be all from me for now.
Thanks for reading :)

Cheers
Marko

/edit: hey dog, pleae highlight only words with color not the whole text

Attachments

multimediaman

Traffic Car Connoisseur
I dunno about swapping the logo graphic, but how about something like a personalized "theme"?

look at https://us.gran-turismo.com/us/gt5/user/multimediaman/ and you'll see my profile there has a city theme...

basically, the user has the ability to change a.) the theme of their home page, and b.) the color of their profile.

The results, the panel behind their username is the color they set, while the image on top of their page is their theme choice.

We may be able to set something up similar to that, people's profile color could show up on their posts, and be easily manipulated by transparent png's for shading, on top of a solid color which is switched out through code...

the profile theme could replace the leather banner, and we could offer various choices of images, or they could upload their own banner to use (the smc logo would overlay on top of it).... and then a scaled version would show up on their profile page, and then the person's posts would show something reminiscent of it too

... for what it's worth, here's the options GT offers - since this may require login to see the actual profile page...

I've attached also, the profile on the gran turismo boards, and what I think we could do with user profile options... so the banner at the top, only the user would see, the mini banner in their post author area would be visible by all, as would be their profile color (and any shading here would be accomplished with a transparent png)

Just some thoughts... plus our logo stays on the site that way.

We could have some banner options too, like:

default - auto-rotate the main banner with great renders of our users
default with profile theme - site banner is default but profile theme has their own banner
custom banner, default theme - where the banner at the top is their own image, but their profile is left default
custom banner and custom theme, where both the banner and the user profile theme image are changed

I dunno, seems like a lot of work, but it could be pretty sweet if it would all work

OldDog

I did concentrate on easy to do changes,
both of us talk about the same thing, except:
I wrote "Header" - You wrote "Banner",
and I wrote "Style" -You wrote "Theme",
while we are both talking about the same thing ;)

Those profile colors would make the website look like a circus if a lot of colors are allowed...
so may be we could use only few different profile colors, Black as the default (or may be change default to some texture? similar to the background one)
and make it available in Yellowish(the color of the text on the forum), White, Pure Black , some Gray option, That is if we wish to keep it in some boundaries.

exidge

Administrator
Hey guys, OldDog and Multimediaman,

The features you are talking about, we wanted to implement in the User Portfolio. As I said before, we want some sort of portfolio page for everyone which will replace the user profile. There you'll be able to add your custom image. But we won't replace the logo with user
custom image. It has to happen in his profile.

I'm not sure you OldDog pressed F5 more than twice, it seems like your browser doesn't show the latest forum look.
Regarding having different css styles, that is possible ofc, I can try to get some different backgrounds and maybe different highlight colors.

Cheers,
exidge

OldDog

I want my text to be this color :p you know it's unhealthy for eyes to read a grey text whit black background, even worse, a light gray text on a dark gray background But ok I won't use it in this thread

;) nahh i can see the new logo and everything, i just took the image like few minutes before you changed it :p

Yep, Few different css styles will mean a lot.
And the portfolio Feature ! ohh it's gonna be simply awesome :) can't w8

BTW Exidge, it's (at least for me) highly noticeable where the leather texture behind the logo cut's whit the texture of leather for the banner (header) How come you didn't sort that out ?

exidge

Administrator
Hey Dog, I changed it 3 days ago , long before your PM : p

Hmm I'm not sure what you mean, I dont see any problem. Can you do a screenshot? And please don't highlight everything your write in that color.

Edit: Hmm, anyone else who has problems to read this color? Should we change it to.. white?

OldDog

I mean it's just unhealthy, it doesn't hurt your eyes right away, but whit time ...

Why is it a problem for me to use a color for my text that i want, Does anyone else have a problem whit me using a color on my text ?
I mean i don't see a problem :|
why do we have the option for changing text color if it's a problem?

TwoOneOne

Administrator
i think the orange is way too harsh on the eyes. orange and black a very contrasty combination and puts more strain on my eyes than the grey on black combination.

although the grey we use for the type could be a tad brighter imo.

I mean it's just unhealthy, it doesn't hurt your eyes right away, but whit time ...

Why is it a problem for me to use a color for my text that i want, Does anyone else have a problem whit me using a color on my text ?
I mean i don't see a problem :|

exidge

Administrator
It hurts my eyes for instance when I see everything successive changing colors and all of a sudden there is that BAM,look at me effect : )

It's there to highlight things. Imagine I would say the same and write with rainbow colors and change the Font size to extremely big... This wouldn't annoy you?

OldDog

It hurts my eyes for instance when I see everything successive changing colors and all of a sudden there is that BAM,look at me effect : )

It's there to highlight things. Imagine I would say the same and write with rainbow colors and change the Font size to extremely big... This wouldn't annoy you?
well it's not the rainbow colors i used, used the same orange as the website has here and there, I do how ever understand, the first thing you seed, about the BAM effect.
So basically if the website was not this dark and shadowed, i could use it.

One more thing if the text box was white , you wouldn't even be able to see that yellowish color :|
---------------------
well books are usually whit white pages and black text for a reason xD
if high contrast hurts your eye's more then low contrast, I dunno what to say.
higher contrast makes it easier for your brain to define the letters, and you can read it faster, or the books that i read,specifically about fast reading, how brain masks the words and letters and that you don't even need all the letters in words to be accurately spelled , they can be scrambled, only first and last letter should be in it's place, and you can read a whole novel whit out problem.

any how it's just my opinion that contrast is important, and i like that color , i could use darker one if contrast really hurts your eyes :)

At First i was changing my Text to white, idea of color came to me ehh yesterday xD

exidge

Administrator
OldDog, I don't want to argue with you about it. It's a simple fact that if you use contrasted colors it has the intention to point on something important, which is in your case often not the case.

Edit:
I do how ever understand, the first thing you seed, about the BAM effect.
So basically if the website was not this dark and shadowed, i could use it.
Exactly, that what I mean.

Cheers,
exidge

TwoOneOne

Administrator
maybe we can agree on the default grey for standard text for the sake of consistency. there´s nothing more than that to it. because it seems like anything else is up to personal preferences and there is nothing to argue about that.

OldDog

Well I'm not arguing , I just don't get it o_O may be i'm dumb or something
but if we are to change color only if something is important why have all those colors to chose from , why not only red ? red is the color if you want to pop something up ! like this IMPORTANT blahh....

I just mean it's my post my text if you don't like the color don't read it , as simple as that :|
hopefully when we become able to chose styles we will have some different colors of text and background and all.

Because of this, is exactly why I suggested styles(themes), whit styles my standard text color could even be black on white, and what so ever, and you guy's can have it all black and white, since uncolored world gives you inspiration.

helicase

We all are very visual people, and that is why it is better to have the thumbnails in the posts list. It was something that was truly unique to the old SMC format, that should not have been changed imo.

Attachments

Thumbnails are not original feature in vBulletin so we have to use plugin for it. Since we now have new version of vB we had to instal new plugin which doesn't have thumbnails in search. Of course it will be added when it's possible :)

helicase

Thumbnails are not original feature in vBulletin so we have to use plugin for it. Since we now have new version of vB we had to instal new plugin which doesn't have thumbnails in search. Of course it will be added when it's possible :)
Cool, thanks Johnas

naMReg

What about giving Contest final submitters a ribbon to show their commitment and effort to finish their projects in time????

And the option to give more than one vote to final projects. I mean, maybe there's one or two projects that we all like and maybe they don't get the right attention in the voting. There are users that do a lot of work and they have been great from firdt to las contest day but, due to certain circunstances, they get no votes at all....

:D

OldDog

What about giving Contest final submitters a ribbon to show their commitment and effort to finish their projects in time????

And the option to give more than one vote to final projects. I mean, maybe there's one or two projects that we all like and maybe they don't get the right attention in the voting. There are users that do a lot of work and they have been great from first to last contest day but, due to certain circumstances, they get no votes at all....

:D
Hmm... well i agree about everything.
I only think that the voting should be changed , if we would be able to vote for more then one person
then the voting should be in points,for instance the first one that you vote for gets 3 points second 2 and third 1 or something like that. You know like in EuroSong :p (well those who live in Europe should know)
because if we are able to vote for more then one person, well there work is not the same , one has to be better then the other. ( I mean people have different opinions, one person votes for two totally different models , then that for instance i would vote for )

i dunno think about it ;)

Cheers