Rhino car modelling : The next audi TT

First off great tutorial! Its very easy to follow up to where I am at, I think I am doing something wrong. I am at this step
Build a 1Rail surface (_Sweep1). As a rail use the last curve you build and as unique crosssection the edge of the

last surface you split.
You got now something ugly like this :
I am ending up with a crazy surface, here is my result.

well the rail curve round is to small. Look at my pic.
If you want to keep this shape however, build a second rail above to control the upper end of your surface.

thx for following the tut. Next lessons are being translated. Coming soon.

Thanks a bunch, fixed that problem :) Now I hit another snag.. Earlier when I was doing the last step I had a problem with, I had to make 2 seperate Sweep1 Surfaces, which at the time I didn't find a problem. Now I am trying to make the surface between the windows and the roof, and now when I go to make a NetworkSrf I get a crazy surface, here is the picture.

Once you build the two Sweep1 surfaces :
Use the _Dupedge command on the outter edges of these two rails surfaces. Then delete rail surfaces and rebuild one unique Sweep1 (or Sweep2 if you're using another rail of course) by using these 2 new crosssections, and the middle one (So it's 3 crosssections)
then after trimming, you'll got only one edge and you ll build the networkSrf without any problem.

:wink:

Stage 8 : Fillets everywhere !

we are going to do hardest part maybe : filleting edges. For example the "body line" must not be so "edgy". We have to create a small round surface over the edge. Mathematicaly the sofware use the value entered on keyboard to calculate a pipe (which radius is the value you entered) tangent to both surfaces in the concerned edge region. It splits then the 3 surfaces with each other. Then it deletes useless parts.
However, this operation may fail. We are going to see how to get a fillet manually, that is as good as an automatic one.

Work now of the front wings layer. Hide one of the two. We are gonna work onthe other. Select all surfaces :

and join them (_Join)

after some time, the prompt line indicates that 7 surfaces have been joined properly. Good for us.

Use now the _FilletEdge command. This tool is only usable on polysurface edges, remember that.

Enter 0.5 as valuue for it, and then select the edge you want to smooth :

You can already realize that the edge may not be in one single part. click then all the edges in order to have the full length you want to smooth. Sometimes, Rhino ask you to pick between 2 edges wheareas there's only one. In this case the joining failed and so no fillet will be built.

OK so after picking all edges, rightclick and wait.
If everything works, good for you !
if not that was my case, because of "dirty splits" I think), read the following.

Unjoin the polysurface with the _Explode tool :

we are going to use a pipe to split surface, then create the blend surfaces between the two edges.

ok lets create first the line that will support the pipe.
with the _DupEdge select the border edges of the bottom surface (you can hide other one to make it easier)

validate, then Join these curves together (_Join). We got the support line for the pipe. The question is : What radius do we use for it ? 0.5 ? certainly not ! we need to have a reference.

Toggle doors layer on. Join the 2 surfaces

then do the fillet between them (it's working I hope. for me it was, since these two sufaces are simple)

ok back to the wing. use the _Pipe command :

then select the curve we build before near to the door polysurface. You now have a circle that follow your mouse pointer and that will define the pipe section.

Get close as possible of the door polysurface and when intersection between your circle and wing surface fit the fillet edges of the door polysurface, click. Validate for second section radius. The chosen value might be around 0.17 (see the prompt).

You got a pipe now :

We can't use it now for splitting because at his ends it is not long enough. We are going to make it longer.
Select the pipe and Explode it (_Explode).

You got now 3 surfaces instaed of a polysurface.
Zoom to the ends of the pipe and delete the two cap surfaces.

then use the _ExtendSrf command :

Enter a value for the extend coefficient (2 for example), then click on the extreme edge of the pipe. Do the same operation on the other side.
You got now a tube surface that goes far beyond the border of surounding surfaces :

Now split the concerned surfaces with pipe surfaces. Delete the tube and the small split surfaces.

ok let's fill the hole now.

zoom to the ends of the hole and use the _Blend command

pick then the two edges on the near surfaces. A blend curve is created.

Do the same on other end.

We got a 4 sided region but we can't build the Network since the upper edge is not unique.
As before use the _DupEdge command to build a curve that will be our fourth edge.
You can now use a network surface using the bottom edges and the 3 curves.
Join all the surfaces together.
you got a nice smooth edge now.

You 'd had surely noticed that, since we can use tangency on upper curve, the blend surface is not tangent to the upper surfaces. But it's not so far. (You can try to build additional crosssections or use the _BlendSrf command, but it's complicated to; try it.)
This method is always working whe a fillet operation fails. It's pretty long and give rather good results (don't forget we are doing art here, not industrial model !)

ok now filet the edges on rear surfaces (for me it works).
You just have to select all edges at the same time before you validate.
if everything works, Rhino create a small triangle surface at the junction between the 3 fillets. Perfect !

Stage 9 : Front bumper details

Toggle the front bumper layer on and toggle the others off.

We are going to build the lateral airintak that contains fog light too.
First split the concerned surface with the curve you project on it.

Keep the splitted part and hide it.
In the left or right view, Extrude the border you just created (choose edge rather than curve)

Join the first surface with the new ones. The fillet the yellow edges (see next picture)

I choose 0.5 for fillet radius. Try , cancel, and build again to find a good value (depending on

your shape, and on what you want to do)

Show the surface you hide at first step and hide what you just build.

in left or right view, draw box curves for the grill, and a circle for the fog light (if it has

not been done yet)

Make a copy of the surface you have (one will be splitt to do the grill, and the other will be the

black surface that cap the hole) and hide it.
splitt the surface with the circle, then split the "non circle surface" with the boxes. delete the

surfaces that will be holes, and move the grill surface a bit backwards.

Extrude the upper and bottom edges of the grill surface, and the edge of the foglight surface.

Join the surfaces (in the end you have 7 polysurfaces = 6 grills and one foglight)
then do the fillets on edges you want.

You can do exactly the same operation with the central air intake. I use the following curves :

and that's what i have with some work :

the method is simple. Don't forget to keep always a surface (make a copy Crtl+C Ctrl+V) before

splitting it. It's always usefull since for example on the central airintake, yhe surface is used

3 times (once for vertical grills, once for horizontal, and once for plate support surface)

Ok now let's do the little air intake i designed just under the central air intake.
Hide everything that's useless. Keep the surfaces and the curve :

split the two surface with the curve and hide the upper splitted part.

use the _OffsetSrf command on the bottom splitted part. white arrows appear on the surface,

showing you the value (the length of arrows) and the directions of offset operation. enter a value

(0.5 for example) and click on FlipAll in the prompt to flip arrow direction if they are not

pointing backwards.
validate to build the surface.

hide the parent surface.

build a _Loft surface using the yellow curves (next picture). You get the surface that is on next

figure too.

Do the same operation on the other side.
Then build a _Sweep1 surface using the big edge as rail and the edges of the loft surfaces as

cross sections

And finally Extrude the curve backwards :

Join everthing and you're done !

Stage 10 : Adjusting Body parts

Ok if you're at this stage, you know Rhino a lot better no :D.
Concerning body parts, we have done the funny work !
Here is coming a pretty long stage, not very hard, but repetitive and boring, since Rhino don't

have some usefull command that other professionnal software have (AutoStudio for example).

First we have to do samll spaces that exist between moving parts on a car : doors, hood, fuel tank

opening, etc...

I show you the technic on the door :

Isolate the door layer. Use the _Pipe command and build a pipe on one edge of the door. I use 0.12

for the Radius but you can choose wnat you want. You are gonna trim the door only, so the size of

the space will depend on the pipe radius.

As we done in stage 8, extend the pipe on both of these ends after you explode it and delete cap surfaces. Extend factor of 2 is enough.

use the _Intersect command to create the intersection curve between door surface and pipe surface.
Don't split now. This way you can see if the radius is good or not, and in some case, this curve will not be the splitting curve.

do the same operation on bottom surface but not on the fillet surface. (the radius is keep in memory, so just validate when prompted for radius) For the fillet you would not be sure that the intersection curve is connected at these ends with the others ones. And when you have uncontinuous border, the next operations will fail.

Use the _Blend command to create this little junction curve. Click the two other intersection curves when asked.

next images show were i've repeated the operation, which I familiarly call "TubeOffsetCrvOnSrf" :D. I hope this will be integrated in Rhino 4.0. Just having to enter the radius...

the door :

the hood :

backdoor :

if your satisfied, you can split surfaces with these curves and delete small surfaces.
(Since you can only split surface with curve and not polysurface, Explode them before splitting and Join them afterwards).

We are now going to give some thickness to the body parts.
I show you the technic on a small and simple part, but his operation is often long and hard to realize.

Isolate the front bumper part and splitt the small surface that cap the light washing system :

use this tool now (don't remember the name, but you'll find it in the line pop up))

pick the small surface, be sure the Osnap is on, and click on the corner :

you have now a white line that follow your mouse, perpendicularly to the surface. Enter the value 0.1 on keyboard and validate. Finally click on the inner side of the car.
Repeat the operation on all edge end of the part (Here we have only two).

Build a _Sweep1 surface using the part edge as rail and the two short lines we just built as crosssections.

do the same operation on the other edge :

join the 3 surfaces and _FilletEdge of 0.05 on all edges (here we have 4).

And here is a nice surface with round borders !
once again there is no build in command to build a surface perpendicularly to another (there is one in the bonus tool set, but it's crap ! believe me).

Ok now you have to do this on all pieces !
This is fairly long and sometimes fails or let small holes in some places.
We'll see in next lessons how to get rid of them.

Wow this just keeps getting better and better! I can't wait untill the end, I keep getting stuck, but i'm understanding Rhino enough to correct myself now!

how do you look at your model in perspective view without a wireframe? I keep having to push the render button to get a preview of it.

Yay! Thank you!

Well since I am stuck on the part I posted about earlier, I decided to give up on following the tutorial completely through, but doing the main steps by themselves, making a plane and adding details, that kind of stuff. This is the best rhino tutorial out there, keep it up!

Thanks man. This is one of the best tutorials i ever saw and the best one concerning Rhino .
I also like the concept a lot .

The Rain Knight said:
what's your Rhino version ? cause in 2.0 you can't get rid of isolines...
Sure you can. Just select all parts and click "Object Properties" and uncheck the "Show surface isoparms" :D. Like you adviced... :).

Or is that same thing at all? I dont know... but it looks same to me :D.