[rfactor] Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4

Discussion in 'WIP Critique: Advanced Video Game & Real-Time' started by OriK, Nov 7, 2009.

1. OriK

OriK Member

No no, the posted images are realtime pics. Rendertime? 75 pictures per second ;) >> but not comparable with game engines. The Max viewport is quite slow.
    Nice to hear you already took a look to a game engine. So we will see a high quality racer for a race sim in the near future? :)

2. salim

salim Administrator

Senior 3D artist
    hello OriK !!

I'm happy to see you back to modeling :) !

i like the way you modele ;) :) .

ps : while watching that Lambo, i got a strong feeling, telling me that i should go back to modeling too :p :D .

anyway Good luck to you, and i'll be watching your topic for sure :) !

Best Regards;
    Salim Ljabli

3. Tonn

Tonn Member

Clicking this thread I knew it couldn`t be anything less than perfect seeing that is done by Orik.

I especially like how you used normal maps for the wheels as they appear alot higher poly than the wire shows.. did you also use opacity maps on the rims?

4. OriK

OriK Member

This time I only use smoothed edges on the metal body. Grilles, lights, rims, wipers etc will be smoothed via normal maps. That will save thousands of triangles.

Finally I could start off with the upper part. The attached image shows the low detail mesh to define the shapes. Adding loops by chamfering existing loops is the next step. This will smooth the surface without touching all the vertices again.

Attached Files:

5. T-Shine

T-Shine VIP

Good God, I love this!

6. Whippy

Whippy New Member

Freelance 3D/2D/motion graphics generalist creativ
    Inspirational work!

So how do you work forward from that point now?

Ie, set out a quad for the half screen. Then connect top to bottom, refine, then side to side, refine, and then do that again, and by then you have 4 verts across the top and sides... (bit like your last pic)

Then how do you in-fill all that space smoothly? Sub-division it to in-fill the mesh smoothly, then get to work with shelling the panel back out, deleting the back faces, then adding an edge sat back from the outline to give it a nice smoothed edge to a specific panel?

It looks great anyway, it's just a bugger because you have to be near 100% accurate, as going back when the mesh is so smooth/dense is hard work!

Dave

7. ricer11

ricer11 New Member

can we use your car in our drag racing game

8. OriK

OriK Member

Hey guys, it's not over yet. Actually I don't even have the time now to work on stuff like this but it's like recreation.

The back is nearly done. The small holes on the grille of the hood are not done yet but will be added tomorrow. After this only the windows and wipers need to be done to get a completely closed model. The engine is coming as well but right now the glass is working. Perhaps the Lambo also gets real doors. Was looking cool on the S7 some time ago.

"edit"
    The Lamborghini emblem on the back is still missing. One more thing to add.

Attached Files:

9. OriK

OriK Member

Not much progress for today because I'm moving but at least the entire back is complete. It's really painful to cut all the holes into a curved surface. Not the cutting itself (boooolean ops) but cleaning up the mesh.

Attached Files:

10. T-Shine

T-Shine VIP

There is not much to say that has not already been said. Truly exemplary and inspirational work, OriK.

11. Lynx

Lynx Member

Auto Detailer
    I agree, I went through the whole thread and all the pics again, lol. Still shocks me how well it looks!

12. dbstew95

dbstew95 New Member

wow great job man you should be proud. excuse me for being and idiot but what program are you useing?

13. younglion

younglion VIP

ive waited a while to see an update to this amazing thread

14. OriK

OriK Member

I'm using 3D Studio Max R2009. Poly by poly modeling combined with splines for getting smooth shapes

I guess more updates have to wait but I'm on it.

15. stefanmarius

stefanmarius New Member

I have a question. How many poly?? I look at the wire screens you've posted, and I can only assume it's a really high number. No doubt the model looks awesome, but is it game ready?
    Other than that, congrats, I've been through your threads and your models look awesome, keep it up and thumbs up.

16. angus95

angus95 Member

nice car, but 63,000 poly's per car with a roof. 20-30 on track and the player has to muck around adjusting setting just to get it to run, IF their machines are capable of running it that is, and consider that there is already a lamborghini-gallardo mod in rFactor. i admire your enthusiasm but i would have already embarked on a car not in rfactor yet and would make it for a larger demographic. just my opinion of course

17. OldDog

OldDog Active Member

Mostly life, Girlfriend and friends on the first p
    @angus95 if you need to set up the settings so that you can run rFactor, let me know , because i want to laugh , and really hard if I car run GTA4 whit all sort of car modes everything very high why couldn't it run rFactor ?
    and yea I sure that game models go up to 50-60k
    considering that one wheel has 2.5 to 5k and the body whit interior 30-40k

so Orik is this project to be continued or did you put it to sleep for some time ?

18. Domino3d

Domino3d Member

where i can play rFactor with this super great modelled car? :)

19. OriK

OriK Member

The final car may consist of 120.000 triangles in highest detail (mainly caused by the modeled grilles). This time I don't intend race fields with 20 or more opponents. I simply love the new Gallardo and want to drive it, with friends, just a few drivers on the road.
    I must admit I really don't care what other mods exist. The existing Gallardo for rFactor is not the version I want to drive and does not contain the level of detail I want to see. I want to "experience" the car as good as possible.

And yes, the Gallardo is still in progress. I'm just working on the windows and the engine to complete the exterior.

20. ArnoldWong

ArnoldWong Member

3D Renderer of Alexander Wong Architects Ltd
    Well, actually you should really do a research on the rF mods development nowadays. My team is famous enough for doing high detail cars(WSGT2, half of the Gallardo polycounts but with fully detailed cockpits), and we have a Lotus in similar polycount running in rF already, and it works fine with proper LODs for a big field of cars. What he did is definately makes sense when it comes to the new gen racing game development.