Renault 5 GTL 1984

Status
Not open for further replies.

naMReg

Hello! Thanks guys for the feedback :D I'm about to cut the wheel arches so my wheels vcan fit in ;)

But for now, I'm making some tests to see how I can make my own fender flares. I found this WEBPAGE (sorry but it's in spanish) It shows prizes about galvanized steel sheets (1.4 mm) = 11,28€/m2 So here it comes, as I have the tools in my garage, can I create them like in this picture????

I will do some holes and put some screws and that to fix the fender flares to the car body. I want to cut the wheel arches in some way, maybe with a radial saw or something and then weld both sheets together ;)

Please tell me it this would be posible :D

Cheers

OldDog

:D make them a little bumpy :p you can't be that good at making it clean like that :p ahh also you would need a few thousand $ machines, we should be able to see how you cut it (and i guess you made it whit a hammer and few more tools )
Also show up the connections of the sheets. Just put in some imagionation :D ;)

over all Looking Great !

Cheers,
Marko

Vlad3d

well it can be made smooth after hammering with some of this Car-Refinish-Auto-Body-Repair-Polyester-Putty-MF401-.jpg and sandpaper... so technically, yeah it can be made that smooth :) just some painting required after the job is done :)

naMReg

Vlad3D - Thanks :D It's a good idea, I'll think about that and see how it could look better.

OldDog - Haha, yes I know it can't look that clean, it's just the first shape I made, just to show what I wanted to do for the fender flares and if that' was alrgiht with the contest rules and all that stuff....

My idea is to create 3 shapes as you can see in the image, 3 shapes for the three different volumes; the one that will be screwed to the car body and to the fender flare shape, it will be connected to it as well with some more screws, then the other 2 shapes I want to weld them together and, of course, show the sequels of that operation, you know.... the scar!! And give it some paint to prevent corrosion, but not to all, just to the scar!!!

What do you think????

Cheers!!

Nashwan

I think this a great solution to the problem, and is in the spirit of top gear. I am enjoying your build and the thought you are putting into it.

naMReg

Here I go again :p I finished the tail lights and the number plate ones too. I finished the roll cage and the little air out takes in the C-Pillar :D

Before I get into finishing the fender flares, what means a creative thingie so I have to be very focused, I'll do the seat, the steering wheel, the gear stick (?), the brake duiscs, etc... things that I just have to model based in the original. Let's see if I can finish everything before the start of the last week of September. I have a list of 17 things to do :(

And now NasG made the Stig, man, this is getting harder and harder everyday :p

naMReg

Thanks oats..... emmm....michael1ee :p, the flared arches are WIP at this moment, I should have taken them away for the previous preview :D I hope they will look really good at the end, if I have the time to do what I came out with.

There's one spoiler coming, I'm just figuring out wich one because I'm running out of money (virtually speaking) and I'm thinking about puting a new exhaust system too.

Right now, I made the brake discs (the caliper I did was just made out from some bad pics I had from the original R5 and a little imagination :p) and the front suspension.

Now I'm struggling a lot with the tyres, a lot..... I tried to use a displacement map but it looks so cheap. What's the best way to use a disp. map, with a high resolution image or is better to raise the poly count of the object????

Thanks in advance!!! Cheers!!!!!

nasi

Looking good man! I like the clean detailing!

For the tyres i would recommend modeling the tread( just looks better imo), for the sidewall a hires image is fine unless you do an extreme close-up, which is hardly ever...

naMReg

NasG - ;) Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll make them treads that way but the tyre I'm making is hard to figure out how to model it : TYRE Let's see if I get any inspiration later on... I'm going to watch the last F&F movie :p

Thanks ViffeX360 for the LIKE :D

I finished the piece inside the front wheel arch, it's kind of bumpy but those R5s look like they where made by hammering the steel sheets :p

Here, a little representation :D

Thanks for the support :D

Cheers!!

looks mint , its something id drive lol and for the callipers you can by really cheap second hand clio williams ones off british sites for around £200 with the discs and brake server

naMReg

looks mint , its something id drive lol and for the callipers you can by really cheap second hand clio williams ones off british sites for around £200 with the discs and brake server
"Looks mint", it's the first time I read this sentence, it means it looks cool, doesn't it??? :p

Do you know any website where I could found those williams' calipers and brake discs??? the ones i got cost £88 each pair, without the calipers, so I have to use my original R5 ones. :uhh:

Nice job. Though from this point of view the bumper is kind of bumpy...
thanks :D About the bumpy bumper, well, it's a 1984 model, what did you expect??? I did it on purpose I promise :p Now for real, with the mate plastic I use for the bumper, that bump doesn't even show up but, if I have time after finishing the last 10 pieces left that I have to model, I'll refine it. :D

Now, I'm using Mental Ray to render and I'm using the mia_material_x for the different material types. When I use a reflective material and I want the reflections to be blurry, how many samples are best for final render performance???? I use 16 samples normally if it's a general scene render, but if I get close to the model it looks grainy, but if I turn it up to 32, it looks great but render times go over an hour...... doing a 700x350 pixel render!!! :uhh:

Please help meeeeeeeee

nasi

- ;) Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll make them treads that way but the tyre I'm making is hard to figure out how to model it : TYRE Let's see if I get any inspiration later on... I'm going to watch the last F&F movie :p
It's just figuring out the repeatable shape, that takes the longest, then it's just duplicate and bend into roundness:)

naMReg

Thanks NasG, you were right, it's hard to figure out the repeatable shape, I guess I got pretty close to it, to finish the threads, I'll use a bump map to place som of the lines it has.... thanks :D

I've been working on the many details I have left to model, here you can see a render I made this morning, I made it a high res render for testing while I was doing some work. It took 4 hours, originally it's a 1000x500 pixels.

I still have to work on the textures for the backwards lights (the ones near the backplate hole) because I want to use a bump map for those as the backlights are all modeled; there are 3 pieces, the chromed one, fixed to the car body, a transparent refractive with some ridges in the middle and the last one, the red and yellow transparent piece. I'll try to make an scheme of it tomorrow.

Does the side mirror look too small????

I thought I had 10 pieces left to model but some new ones came up, I have 14 now to finish out of a 22 pieces list :cry:

Wish me luck!!!

btw, what's the maximum width in pixels to post an image here in the posts window???? And without bringing on the resizing stuff.... I always use a 700 pixel width image but if I can make them higher..... :D

Cheers ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.