Sorry for the late answer, but thanks for comments.
Yes you guessed right, it's a Viper V10. Thanks to Tom Sullivan for all the wonderful refpics. Below is the current stage of it : modeling time !
I've been quite off the PC since a week, so the slowdown. I started yet another side-project that shrinks once a little more my free time. It's a online database for yafaray shaders. The current prototype is online at Shaders - Yafaray Shaders Database. Still a lot of work to do on the site before calling it ready for mass upload. But feel free to try, I would love to get some feedback.
Anyways, I don't give up my DTM entry. Please stay tuned !
how about you use those small windows behind the ones of the door as the air intakes?
just let them run trough the back and put the airbox behind the engine (in other words you have turn the engine around) to me that seems the best way to do it... and it's also how it's done on a F430, or most other mid-engined cars...
Also if you look at this picture of the A4 DTM engine then you can see that the intakes and clutchplate are on the same side, meaning that they are also facing towards the back of the car
and then the bottom intakes could be used for the cooling? Just a tought
also after looking up the regulations, DTM cars are restricted to 4,0l V8's with a 90° bank
Only V8 engines with a cylinder bank angle of 90 degrees, a maximum displacement of four litres and a maximum of four valves per cylinder are permitted in the DTM. The inlet system must be fitted with two air restrictors, each having a maximum diameter of 28 mm. Two weeks before the start of the season three engines for two registered participants, respectively, are sealed. These engines must be used throughout the season. A DTM engine delivers roughly 470 hp.
Don't know Max, so I will just shortly describle the workflow :
- I used particles from Blender. It's a nice feature, with many options like ForceField to control deflections of hair/grass. Basically what I set is : a emitting surface, some forces parameters (height, gravity, randomness) and number of pieces (i.e. density)
- My renderer Yafaray is unfortunately uncompatible with particles (i.e. they're not renderer) But it's no big deal as there is a workaround : convert particles to mesh, convert mesh to curves, use curves builtin features to transform curves into tubes, convert tubes to mesh and voilà !
It's a quite easy task. But the major drawback is the polycount : I use about 1500 pieces for each square meter. During the workflow I describes, each pieces is turned into a 20-vertices tube (I can't easily reduce the polycount) So we're talking about 30k vertices for each square meter !!! You now know why I didn't put grass on the whole area
tom, that is awesome work. What I love the most about your work, aside from superb modeling, is the fact that you're using an open-source software. That just startles me when I see great renders like and models. It seems like almost everyone here uses 3ds max and vray. It's just great to see you take a different path from the pack and produce something amazing as this with an open-source software. I respect that!