Real World Racer : Citroën C5 Coupé DTM

tom120934

Administrator

Attachments

Good luck mate. I had a similar idea for a DTM car based on some older saloons.
I think a Jaguar XJ would look cool as DTM car. I'm still getting ideas together though.

tom120934

Administrator
Thanks for the comments. Yes DTM is pretty fun. And V8 and about 1100kg would be a really good thing for the C5 :)

Here're front and rear views of my concept so far.

Attachments

tom120934

Administrator
Well, I'm proud to be useful :) Are you going for the 406 sedan or coupé ? The coupé was one of the most elegant french cars of the last decades, while the sedan was more ... forgettable (sorry I've never been into Peugeot ;)). Will be really interesting to see such a beauty turned into a DTM beast.

Anyways, yet another update. Things are a bit cleaner now I think.

Attachments

Looks very tuff Tom. Off to a cracking start. I better pull my finger out.

With your bezier - path cage. Are you able to use that in your modelling or is it just for a guide?

tom120934

Administrator
Thanks, glad you like. About the cage :

- It's not bezier / path. I'm just using a mesh without faces, just edges.
- I must resist the temptation to just create faces from the vertices/edges within it, because it leads to really dirty polyflow. So I usually split into body parts, then actually create the part using the cage as a 3D blueprint.

Just a little update, roof and arches.

Attachments

tom120934

Administrator
You're right, it's a bit overkill as of now. Will try to fix it later. In fact, I started from the stock one which I enlarged a bit. Doing so leaded to a really thin part below the intake, so I just removed it.

Update, start of sides and rear wheel arch.

Attachments

The IC

uses too many smileys

Astr0s

Super Moderator
i think if you want it to look like a genuine DTM car, youre going to have to alter the porportions a bit...both the audi and the mercedes have their front flares coming out the top of the bonnet, and roughly in line with the bottom of the side window...yours is looking very very tall in comparison...just saying :p

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/Martin_Tomczyk_2006_DTM.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/DTM_Mercedes_2006_Jamie_Green.jpg
Definately agreed with the IC, thats what im doing with the passat as well, lower center of mass ftw! Other than that i think the design looks pretty damn good, not 100% sure about the front mesh though. Nice all together! :p

tom120934

Administrator
You're definitely right, guys. Thanks Ian for pointing it out.

It's clear DTM have there wheel arch as high as the hood side. And mine is clearly not as high.

DTM are about 1.20 meter high (the whole car) My model is 1.28 m so far. What I've done is :
- From the stock sedan,
- I shortened the roof / the pillars by 5 cm (top chop style !)
- I lowered the whole car by 12cm,
- I lowered the bottom of the car (front bumper, side skirts, rear bumper) by 7cm (that is, increasing there height without moving their top)

What I will do now : revert bottom of car to its original height, lowering the car to the ground, then modeling wheel arches to let enough room for wheels. 18" are DTM standard I guess ?