Porsche 991 GT3 (2013)

Discussion in 'Picture Reference' started by Kangal, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Hi SMCars

These are the first official photos of the new 991 GT3 how appeared at the Geneve Motor Show plus some very well done renders.
    This car has some features which probabilly will generate a bit of disappointment and frustration to the purist and fanatic GT3 usual customers.
    I'm speaking about the rear steering wheels, the PDK (good bye mechanic gearbox) and the engine, no more the legendary ''Metzeger'' (basically the same block of the GT1 competition) but it's an updated unit of the engine mounted on the normal Carrera S.
    Anyway, 475 hp, 7 speed PDK and 0-100 in 3.5s.
    The PDK has a new hardware and software , hopefully without the annoying trait to decide sometime by itself even if u've selected the manual mode, sadly like the other current Porsche . Luckly now the gear stick works following the logic, i mean, pushing the stick u get the downshift, and not the opposite like the other Porsche...I also hope they gave awyay the useless sailing mode and the electric steering, who hasn't the same feedback than an hydraulic mechanism.
    Now we're waiting for the extreme version, the GT3 RS.

Written by...ME lol

Attached Files:

2. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    And now, if u guys are interested, i'd have something to say.
    As u know, even if i'm not an engineer, my father, my uncle and my grandfather are mechanical engineers, and they worked for Volkswagen Group (Audi and Volkswagen, never for Porsche), Daimler Group (Mercedes), Alfa Romeo and so on. I did lot of trainings on the track, and i've run on some European tracks as Le Mans, Spa Francorchamps, Paul Ricard, Salzburg, Imola, Monza . And above all the Nordschliefe, which's not a track thou, but a payement one way road, opened to every kind of legal vehicle without any speed limit. U also, under permission, could drive there some ''un-plateable'' vehicle, like Zonda R for example, or Ferrari FXX.
    Said that, i've driven, during a training , a 911. This car was exactly a 997 GT3 Mk1 standard (no RS) with PCCB and roll cage. The instructor said me: ''Well, now u've to forget every teachment about track drive u've learned, driving it u'll understand the reason...'' I've been a little scared, then i've start to drive and i've got what he meant. Give that the trajectories u have to follow are always the same, both u're driving a Trabant both u're driving a Veyron, what drastically changes is the speed approaching the corner, and the angle of steering. With a normal car, u approach , generally, the corner quite fast, then u brake, u seek for the apex and u start accelerating just after that. In fact, the less distance the more u gain time, this is the spirit of ''seeking for the apex''. With 4WD u can accelerate before the apex if the cars have a triple differential system ( see Lancer Evo , GT-R and Impreza for example).
    Now, let's go to the meaning of this post: With that GT3, i've had to approach the corner very slow with a very light braking action if u're into the corner already, as slow as i never did normally on a track, because i felt the front so light as it generated a huge understeer. Just a feeling though, because, managing the steering wheel, like a kind of magic the car followed the instructions, and it was incredible. The trainer in fact said me to do that. But, and this is the most incredible thing, u can accelerate before than every other car running on the corner. Lot before the apex , because the 70% of the weight is on the rear, and accelerating u load it even more, so that the huge rear tires generate an incredible grip who shot u out of the bend. It's an amazing sensation. U can't do it with any other car on the planet. And this is the main reason because it's been the EVO car of the year more than all.
    Once u've passed the strange feeling of the light front, u'll find this car so full of feedback as only the Lotus Elise/Exige give the same. Not even the Scuderia give u the same feedback and this amazing feeling to fully control the car with your own hands.
    This is a great piece of engineering, against the physic rules, and i have to regard those german engineers who, in the 2013, offer a car with the engine where u normally load your luggage.
    So, me and every car's addict, have great expectations about this new GT3, so, please Porsche, don't u disappoint us transforming its unique and extraordinary character :)

-Davide

P.S Some pics more from the official Porsche site, hi-res.

Attached Files:

3. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Porsche 991 GT3 Cup

Some renders of the new 991 GT3 Cup. The interior is the real thing.
    At the moment this has the same engine as the 997 GT3 Cup thou with 10 hp more (450 + 10,''Metzger type). Honestly it makes me have some doubts about the performances under pressure of the new engine...we'll see the developments.

Attached Files: