Porsche 935

Nashwan

I'm planning on making a 1976 porsche 935 turbo, most likely in the Martini livery. I may also make a 934 while I'm at it, in the Valliant colours, because they were also great.

Edit: This first post will contain the latest image from now on as long as I remember to keep updating it.

Attachments

Nashwan

Hey Kangal, Yes it's a flat 6, but turbocharged. Maybe a bi-turbo depending on which version I end up doing.

I thought it might be fun to make the transmission. It's not fun, but we'll see how it goes.

Attachments

Kangal

All right.
I've to say u're doing just exellent, above all on the transmission, really stunning. Honestly the whole engine is looking awesome imo.
I know u've the skills to do a fantastic work. Besides the 935 is an awesome car, a true rocket, as dangerous as fast. It would be great if later u'd do a comparison with its antagonist BMW. I've a mod for rFactor with both the cars, great stuff.

naMReg

So... I understand you finished your "Top Gear Contest" car?? :p

Are you going to model every single bolt of this car?????

Nashwan

Hey Kangal, Thanks man, This is only the second engine I've built, so I can'r quite decide how many polys to put into it. I want it to render in a reasonable time so I'm probably not going to go crazy. Maya has the excellent roundcorners shader, so I'll see if I can use that.

NaMReg,
I have not finished the top gear entry, and probably won't at this point. Maybe I'll get some motivation to finish in time... I think I've missed the point of the contest, instead I used it as an excuse to make the car I wanted to make. Besides I'm more interested in making this now! I am planning to model all of it. If I do the engine, then that's the hard part done (hopefully).

A long term goal maybe to make Jazz. But do it properly, Using every part of the car and not cheat it like they do in the movies.

TwoOneOne

Administrator
I have not finished the top gear entry, and probably won't at this point. Maybe I'll get some motivation to finish in time... I think I've missed the point of the contest, instead I used it as an excuse to make the car I wanted to make.
man what a shame. you have to finish the Z!!! i want to see the car with the awesome texture you´ve started.

naMReg

Don't worry, he'll submit it, he's just setting up a trap so we relax and think that, as he won't submit his project, we'll have more chances to win something. But we are no falling in the trap man!!!! :p

Nashwan

Twooneone,
I will finish it eventually, I think I have run out of time on the contest though, I feel pretty burnt out on it. I'm glad you like that texture though, and I'm enjoying your 240 build too.

namreg,
Heh, Maybe I'll get a last minute burst of enthusiasm for it, but I plan no 'trap'! Right now I'm enjoying making this porsche.

Incidentally, the reason I chose a 240z for the top gear contest is because I wanted to build a Primadonna Z

Bur the contest's budget wouldn't allow it. I did discover that that jack atkinson, the builder was trying to turn a 240 in a Porsche 935. For the contest, I even priced a 935 whale tail that I was going to cable tie onto the car, but it looked fairly ridiculous and cost $1400... All of which lead me to this build. Speaking of which, here's some turbo plumbing.

Attachments

Kangal

Very very good, great update. The only thing, i'm not fully persuaded about the 2 upper metallic wrappers, the ones after the bands . They seem to do not fit perfectly.
Told this, the work is going on in a marvelous way :)

Nashwan

Kangal, you are quite right about those upper pipes not fitting very well, I remodelled the whole thing again to help it fit under the hood. It's hard to get reference of this particular engine setup, plenty of stuff for the bi-turbos, but only grainy images scanned from magazines for thr older 1976 engines. No two are the same it seems, and I'm really enjoying the asymmetry of the single turbo cars, especially the off angled waste-gate pipe.

I'm tring to work out the rear suspension so I made some wheels (I say made, I stole them off the datsun :). 19x15s on the back and 16x11s on the front.

It's a stuggle to get the engine scale right, it has to fill the engine bay, but if I scale it too big either the drive shafts don't line up with the wheels, or the turbo sticks out the back. After some measuring i think I've got it looking ok now though, so I'm building some of the underbody around it to match my reference.

Attachments

Kangal

Hi
I don't want to repeat myself, bt the work looks stunning. So absurdely precise, it's a pity the most of this beauty will be hidden by the carbody, u may want to do a sort of transparent look for some renders, it would be astonishing, and will award u for your skill to create it.
I always follow this thread, hopefully u'll finish the car. I say this because the most of the hyperdetailed car usually remain unfinished, here is full of examples.

So,please, finish it :)

-David

Astr0s

Super Moderator
Just one of those cars that makes your heart stop in awe, certainly one of my fav Porsches :) Hope to see you finish this, looking neat so far!

Nashwan

Looking back it doesn't really look like there has been much engine progress, so this seems a small update despite all the work I've put in.

I have no idea if I'll finish this before I get sick of the sight of it, so that's why I started with the engine. If I can resist the temptation to do the body for as long as possible I always have that to look forward to. If I do manage to make everything on here, it would be fun to do some kind of illustrative cut away render like you suggest Kangal, perhaps like the box art of the 1/12 tamiya model.

Attachments

Nashwan

hey rickyss,
I am using All the plans I can get! I layer them up in photoshop and see if there are any common features. I often find myself using plans from model kits, reasoning that they must licence the cars from the manufacturer who I hope would give them accurate blueprints to make their models with. I still have a healthy mistrust of all blueprints and mainly use photos. But the plans are useful to start with.

Cheers, Michael1ee, I hope to see it finished too, it's going well so far though!

I made the roof today, probably move onto the rear suspension next.

Attachments

dave_3d

Super Moderator
Looking good. :cool: Lot of detail.

I've modelled this car in low-poly. So many variations .... I took some reference photos at the last Le Mans Classic. I'll see if I still have them.

Dave

Attachments