PhotoModeling

there is demo version of photomodeler to download on their website (but it works only with photos shipped with it)
but you can get trial version there PhotoModeler - Trial - Use Your Own Photos

The main problem with the other modeling software as Imagemodeler and Insght3d is that they need images taken with the same camera.
they DONT need photos from the same camera..they can be taken each from differnent camera with different settings, believe me.
i have big expirience working with it, and taught many people to use it.

although photomodeler seems to have a lot of options for this kinda tasks too.

E

ettore

Nice! I didn't see that there are two different demos - I'm going to get the trial after finishing my present project. Maybe you could post a tutorial about using images from different sources with IM?

I got some weird problem when exporting from IM and importing to 3ds. On the export settings I select fbx, and I can't check ''markers''... When I import in 3ds max then, markers and locators aren't imported, and when I use it's camera and do a plane, I can't see it.. What am I doing wrong?

Maybe you could post a tutorial about using images from different sources with IM?
i have no time for making full tutorials at this moment..
but on first two pages all steps to work with IM
if you use photos from different sources - just ignore focal length parameter(and don't check "images share the same zoom checkbox) when loading images to IM
load them all to one camera and work as usual, IM will handle it without any problem

I got some weird problem when exporting from IM and importing to 3ds. On the export settings I select fbx, and I can't check ''markers''... When I import in 3ds max then, markers and locators aren't imported, and when I use it's camera and do a plane, I can't see it.. What am I doing wrong?
that is strange
if all locators and cameras are calibrated, then it should work fine
could you post some screenshots from im, or project with photos itself..i'll check it

you don't need markers :)
marker - is "mark" of LOCATOR on some picture

in other words couple of markers on couple of photos represent position of some locator on 3d space

FBX format can't store markers info..it can only be saved within rzi files

so just select locators and cameras (and 3d models if you create some)
export it to fbx..and then to max

Any tips on using the 'define worldspace' tool? Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I can't seem to get it to align correctly, it always seems to flip over and not respond as I would assume. Maybe thats the problem. ;)

I basically have locators setup on all four tire centers, and I thought using 3 of the points I should be able to align X and Y and get Zup. Please advise how to use...there are handles at the center, and at the ends of each of the bars for the axis.

Since I couldn't get it to properly align, I made a quick box using the same 4 locators, parented everything too it then aligned it to the world using that normal. Hack work around, for something I would think to be simple. I have read and re-read the first post in this thread and tried a couple different ways. Any advice appreciated. Its been interesting testing this way to setup a quick layout of a model.

You don't need to calibrate both sides of a car :)

Defining world space is pretty simple task.

On the picture attached you can see axis manipulator

blue spot in center used to position center of "world"

every other axis has two "spots" - start (the one closer to blue spot) and end spot (further from blue spot)

just drag "start" to position and "end" to set direction of axis

to define world space you need to set "center" and two of three axis (third depends on other two)
usually i place "center" to center of front logotype

X - on pair of symmetrical locators (for example corners of window)
Y - from center of front logo to center of rear logo (or any other two locators on symmetry plane)

Z - will be set automaticaly directing Upwards (if you use maya , you should switch Y and Z)

then click apply and that is it. world space is defined :)

after that you can use constraints to lock locators with each other

Attachments

EquiNOX

I finally had time to play with IM... But struggled on getting same locators on several images to turn green confirming that its proper aligned. Unless I am missing, how can I succeed getting locator aligned or turn into green from list?

VitaminD - Thanks for the info. Maybe what I wrote was confusing, I wasn't trying to calibrate both sides of the car, I just liked to have all four wheels located and used those to setup the world axis. You explanation solved it for me. I think it was the order that I had been trying it...AND...when I drag the outside or end handle of an axis, I was expecting it to stretch ALL the way to the locator I wanted to use. It goes part way then stops, but once I get to the locator it does snap. Just seems odd, and with my other errors I wasn't getting it. Now I do. THANKS!

EquiNOX - I think it just requires the same locator being in the right position in 4 different photos. I did have a bunch of time the locator was in the right position, but they turned red. Not sure why, but sometimes it just wouldn't work. So I would delete that one and re-do it.

Also...learning the hotkeys makes this process really fast. I would have liked to have seen this product continued instead of 123catch.

EquiNOX

natec: +1 on hotkeys, it does make progress fast and easy. It'd also be nice to have snap features so locator on each indivual images can snap and aligns properly instead of constantly moving around wonder when its going to be aligned.

You know, I used Jpaagg attached example, and its been most struggle for me. Seem like more than 8 images is too much ?? What would be the better approach?

VITMIND: I am struggling with Defining worldspace, everytime I tries to move X or Y symmetrical It always end up back together, and flips upside down, I am getting Y-up when importing IM files in 3ds max... What am I missing here?

I finally had time to play with IM... But struggled on getting same locators on several images to turn green confirming that its proper aligned. Unless I am missing, how can I succeed getting locator aligned or turn into green from list?
First of all.
There High and Low residual settings in preferences, which determine "threshold" between marker position and Calculated marker position. If its lower then "low" - marker is red. Between - yellow, higher then "high" - green.
For images with resolution about 1600 in width and higher (or even 1200) i suggest to set residuals 3-5 instead of default 1-3. It will be enough.
If you later will calibrate photos with 640*480 res, then it should be lowered, because 1 pixel on such photo is about 1-2 cm of a car.

Residual for each locator is displayed on right panel when locator is selected.

If after setting 3-5 residuals you still have yellow-green locators, you should improve your calibration.

I can't tell you much about your calibration without screenshots or project.
I will post screenshots of some of my completed projects, so you could inspect it.

And, as natec said, some locators may spoil whole calibration, even if they are placed in right positions on photos. If you have one..delete it and try to calibrate again. Add it later.
I had such situation once. I was getting error about wrong camera matching because of one locator on antena on roof. Delete-calibrate-ok-add it back-calibrate-ok. :)
Now I do. THANKS!
You are welcome. :)

You know, I used Jpaagg attached example, and its been most struggle for me. Seem like more than 8 images is too much ?? What would be the better approach?
5 images (or even 4) is minimum required for good calibration.
8 is okay
11 is perfect. (front, 3/4front,side,3/4rear,rear * 2 heights; + top view)
But usually i use 7-10 photos, because not every specific view can be found in internet.

More photos - easier and better calibration. But over9000 is not helpful too.

VITMIND: I am struggling with Defining worldspace, everytime I tries to move X or Y symmetrical It always end up back together, and flips upside down, I am getting Y-up when importing IM files in 3ds max... What am I missing here?
Hard to tell..if you make every step that described in my earlier post about worldpace, then it should be fine

y - along car symmetry plane
x - across car, perpendicular to y (between symmetrical locators)
z - automaticaly up

*forgot to mention in previous post. With this axis setup after import to max car will be rotated 90 degrees (you'll see side of a car in front view)
Just select everithing in scene and rotate it 90 degrees CCW about World Pivot.

EquiNOX

Thanks VitaminD... Got green on locators, and it looks good. Importing IM into 3ds max and rotate it in 90 degree, its does good too. But scale is too small! It would even be too small to model it.. Would it work if I increase scales?

to set scale of your scene:

in IM after you succeeded calibration,
place two modeling locators in centers of wheels
then use Define reference distance tool
drag it between wheel centers and type in wheelbase length on toolbar
press apply

then it will be in correct scale

*set METERS as default length units in IM to make it import with proper scale to 3ds max with system units == cm

Jpaang

hey!

insight3d/blender tutorial is getting there, I've been scattering my projects around lately. So don't worry, I will be here soon!

E

ettore

Better luck this morning. I found that by moving one marker into a more correct position that all the locators turned green.

Attachments

E

ettore

I'm making a little progress, which is a relief. Now the Y axis (green line) is off. Does this mean the camera calibration is incorrect? All the locators are green.

Attachments