PhotoModeling

Jpaang

Just to let you guys know, there will probably be no images in the tutorials...instead I will be very descriptive in my words. All the tutorials will come with sample files, for Max/IM the .fbx file, .max file, .txt file with camera coordinates, and of course the images. Thank you so much guys for not pressuring me on this. I might even throw you guys a little extra treat!

ettore > Catch need more pictures to work properly

you need to move every 5~10° from the center of your object, turn around then with low-angle and high-angle shot.

your object need to be: not so reflective as well...
in the same environment
with a high depth of field (Catch had trouble with the blurry part of your photo =/ )
Catch hate windows (like all reflecting thing)
Set your camera on manual mode to keep the same exposure

for a human face you need around 30 pictures for a good result... imagine for a car !

you can zoom with your photo to catch details but I don't know if it will work with a weird angle with extreme close up( catch need to recognize the whole object ).

hope it will help you.

Jpaang, Hurry up first chance you get - I'm lost (as usual).
May I help? )))

Gather pictures with different view angles like front,3/4front,side,3/4 rear,rear, (if available from different height, e.g front from "badge level" and front from height of 3 meters.)
so totally 11 photos is sufficient set of photos to make a car using IM

Make sure that car looks the same way in all photos. If needed flip them. You will need to model only one side of a car, so there is no need to calibrate both of them.

Name files in order of camera movement around car from front to rear for easier navigation in IM.

Here my examples of photo sets which i used for modeling.

http://clip2net.com/clip/m32077/1335615180-clip-90kb.jpg
http://clip2net.com/clip/m32077/1335615208-clip-70kb.jpg
http://clip2net.com/clip/m32077/1335615230-clip-85kb.jpg

and then start placing markers from front to rear as i described on first page.

ps. angle constraint is useless in car calibration.

Falango

I wouldn't use the center of the headlights for markers either. Try to use hard corners, distinct parts, like body seam corners, door handles, corners of grills, corners of windows, etc. Don't use wheels either, because the wheels may not be in the same position in each photo.

Falango

Because IM can be very tempermental, I think you need to provide more details with what you do in IM. You should talk about what parts of a car are best to drop points on, what dropping points does, etc. Since this seems like a tutorial for people that haven't used IM before, you may want to talk about common troubleshooting, or errors that people could run into, and treat this tutorial as if someone hasn't opened the program before. You aren't very descriptive in your words, like you said you would be, considering there aren't any images.

Jpaang

Because IM can be very tempermental, I think you need to provide more details with what you do in IM. You should talk about what parts of a car are best to drop points on, what dropping points does, etc. Since this seems like a tutorial for people that haven't used IM before, you may want to talk about common troubleshooting, or errors that people could run into, and treat this tutorial as if someone hasn't opened the program before. You aren't very descriptive in your words, like you said you would be, considering there aren't any images.

Indeed, I just posted it as-is to see what ohter members thought I improve on...thanks for the feedback!

TomiL

The Land Cruiser Maniac
What about the Blender tutorial? Are you still going to do it?
The Max+imagemodeler tutorial looks simple but yet efective. I dont have those softwares but I still managed to understand.

Jpaang

The Blender tutorial will take some time to create, due to insight3d's process of placing locators for calibration. I've already started my Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 project, So stay tuned.

Falango

What about the Blender tutorial? Are you still going to do it?
The Max+imagemodeler tutorial looks simple but yet efective. I dont have those softwares but I still managed to understand.
If you don't have the programs, then you don't really understand how IM can easily give you inaccurate results, or not work at all if you don't follow steps very closely. It can either help you or hurt you.

photomodeler is good for creating terrains of rough models of some objects..
it uses photos to automaticaly determine shapes and textures of objects
basically...for car modeling its useless.

E

ettore

I think Photomodeler has real possibilities. I'm busy on a project now and don't want to get diverted from it until I'm finished in several weeks; then I'm going to get a pirated version (can't afford $1145) and play with it. The main problem with the other modeling software as Imagemodeler and Insght3d is that they need images taken with the same camera. Photomodeler uses what they call "inverse camera" in which you coordinate the same points from images taken from different sources. This is important to me because I take images from different sources on the web. And then, some cars don't exist now and new images are impossible to obtain. I welcome further comments and research about Photomodeler.