NextGen Vehicle : 2+2 Cabrio

alexL

hey all, what im planning for my entry is a 2+2 cabrio, that is a 2 door car with 2 back seats only big enough for small children or luggage, and of course a soft top that folds back into the trunk

i sort of want to crossbreed elements from the mazda mx-6 and rx7 with this, hopefully i'll have something to show by 2morro!

alexL

heres something, im pretty much just fooling around with bodyshapes right now, getting something that i like.

i probably won't get any serious work done on this until after the weekend as im busy as a beaver finishing up my school projects and demoreel, plus i just bought a ford focus today so i haveta deal with all that fun stuff

i think for the exterior im going to model it high poly and then retopologize and bake it down to normal maps, i think ill probably get the best results that way.

Attachments

alexL

thanks for the comment, im super stoked on my focus, for a practical commuter car im amazed at how well it handles, and im not normally one to swoon over gizmos but the whole sync system is just brilliant

anyways more on topic, i've done and redone the front end a few times, after some frustration i think im on the right track now, ill fix the shape of the backend next and then start adding some detail to it

Attachments

alexL

small update, basically just started working on the wheel, i did one full on highpoly which is the rear wheel and baked down the normals to the front wheel, which is currently sitting at 1202 tris, gotta redo the uv layout to give the front of the wheel more space, and add tread and such

quick question tho, do brakes count as part of the wheels or can they be part of my body tricount?

Attachments

Ah didn't think of them at all but yea you can use them from body polycount :)

Care to show wireframe also, mesh looks smooth and nice

alexL

heres a few wires and an update, do note that the body and such are still high res, i'm probably going to redesign the windshield as i can't really figure how a folding roof would attach to it

im done school 2morro for the summer (or forever i haven't decided yet) so im going to put some serious time into this now, probably get the body finished so i know how many polies i have to play with for the interior and underside

Attachments

alexL

thanks guys, i am going to do a fully detailed interior but i thought it would be cool to have a folding roof i could animate as a little sideshow

anyways heres some progress, i've started on the interior, im hoping to get everything more or less in place by the middle of next week so i can begin retopologizing and texturing

did some renders with the new quicksilver thing in 2011, they're lousy quality but i can say that that thing is lightning fast for making previews and testing colors and lighting, and the scene is a bit of a mess but hopefully you can see what i've got done

Attachments

alexL

heres a bit of an update, im finding im having alot more issues then i thought i would doing the whole baking down the normal maps, but hopefully this will work out :) and don't mind the color scheme that i will definately change haha

Attachments

alexL

small update, have the interior pretty much ready to be unwrapped and normaled, some small things like pedals and a radio antenna, exhaust and front lights still need to be done

Attachments