New Michelin Wheel

This is the next generation of tires. They had a pair at the Philadelphia car show. Attached are pictures of the new Michelin tires. These tires are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon. The bad news for law enforcement is that spike strips will not work on these tires. This is what great R&D will do and just think of the impact on existing technology:

a.. no more air valves
b.. no more air compressors at gas stations
c.. no more repair kits

Attachments

not that new, they wont be making it i dont think, that news is.. really old actually, way over a year ago, possibly 2 years ago

Those are neat but they are probably pricey. They look better in motion than sitting still. if someone were to model a car with these, I wonder what would be a good car?

it came out when i was in my sophemore year, so 3 years ago...and they proposed it but mentioned that the selling of it would probally not happen, becuase then they would lose sales in the long run.

carenthusiast said:
Those are neat but they are probably pricey. They look better in motion than sitting still. if someone were to model a car with these, I wonder what would be a good car?
how would they be pricey, i cant remember where i saw it, i cant remember if it was motor trend (i think it was) or popular science.. but.. seeing as though there is no sidewall, nothing advanced like carbon fiber in it.. its simple (simple is ALWAYS good) and therefore its extremely cheap
duno why you say it looks better in motion .. any tire is, all tires flex..
heres the best picture i could find.. http://www.auto.cz/base/2005-21/tecic122_4291b7817b9e0.jpg

XCNuse said:
how would they be pricey, i cant remember where i saw it, i cant remember if it was motor trend (i think it was) or popular science.. but.. seeing as though there is no sidewall, nothing advanced like carbon fiber in it.. its simple (simple is ALWAYS good) and therefore its extremely cheap
duno why you say it looks better in motion .. any tire is, all tires flex..
heres the best picture i could find.. http://www.auto.cz/base/2005-21/tecic122_4291b7817b9e0.jpg

no but carenthusiast is correct they really look weird standing stiill like there are 2 rims alltogether, somehow these may be a good concept but won't work on car's appearence.

regds
rahul

well...it's good for a GTA fan that some day will want to play like that in real life xD
- WHATCH OUT! A spike strip!!
- Oh don't worry grandpa, i have my new super rims!!

this is an interesting concept. hadn't heard of them yet.
though it doesn't looks very promising to me as it is really ugly :p and besides the tire really flattens out. of course normal tires do too, but imo not that extreme as shown in the closeup.

it would be nice to know if the concept would work in racing.

wouldnt doubt it, no idea why it wont go into production, probably because there is no way of stiffening the sidewall unless they .. well.. put something there

it does look soft, but they could easily stiffen it up (but then .. that would stiffen up everything) so.. interesting concept nonetheleast

as cold as ice said, they would lose sales, but if someone else started a company that only made this tire than they could posibly change the industy...

Cold As Ice10129 said:
it came out when i was in my sophemore year, so 3 years ago...and they proposed it but mentioned that the selling of it would probally not happen, becuase then they would lose sales in the long run.
cattrain said:
as cold as ice said, they would lose sales, but if someone else started a company that only made this tire than they could posibly change the industy...
The Rain Knight said:
if you don't run on flat tyre anymore, you don't buy new tires....so that's the point...
I gues this was the point =)

Zachary

jalopy madness
The Rain Knight said:
if you don't run on flat tyre anymore, you don't buy new tires....so that's the point...
maybe...

but eventually those tyres does wear out, so you need to buy set of new tires anyways. :roll: