Midpoly Vehicle Contest: Pontiac Fiero

this model has really imporved since the very first post, i havent read any of the post, so sorry if this was said before, but are you planning changing the tail lights because those tubes in there are not very convincing

mpfive said:
this model has really imporved since the very first post, i havent read any of the post, so sorry if this was said before, but are you planning changing the tail lights because those tubes in there are not very convincing
Thanks and yes I think I'll maybe change them, but maybe I'll just change materials a little.

I've changed these lamps. Are these lookin' better 2 you? Plzz comment. I've also add keyhole :) and rendered in higher resolution.

Attachments

i'd suggest you find a picture of the rear lights from the back view, and cut out the lights, then you can use them as texture on that piece in your car, and all you have to do is make it slightly transparent...

i looked on google, but i didnt find any good shots, so i'd say you'd have better luck on cardomain.com
check it out there

Wow thanks mpfive for that link. This site is awesome! It has over than 3000 pic of Fiero's. Here is what I've found. If you have other advices how to make it look better then comment. I have selected visibility to 0,85.

Attachments

Thanks, man! I also think that it looks much better and real than before. In few days I'll add new textures for tyres, cos' today I haven't done pictures.

multimediaman

Traffic Car Connoisseur
I'd just assumed you wanted the thing to be slightly modded out there.

If you wanted it stock, I'd say ditch everything inside there, and don't make it transparent at all. Use the freed up geometery to put a tad of definition in the brake light surface to give it a bit more realism than just a flat surface.

Besides, in the real car, You'd be lucky to ever really see the lights inside, there's wayyy to much distortion in the red material.

And most pictures, you can't even tell there's much of anything going on there lol - the pic you used for textures is an absolute best-case-scenario picture.. I'm shocked there's anything that quality on the 'net lol

Thanks but I think that I won't change that, cos' after adding reflections it will be looking even better and I've got enough tris to spend on that lamps.

actually, i suggested transparency to begin with, its because i figured for a few final renders he can make the cylinders glow red, and if done correctly, it may give the impression as if the rear lights are on

D

DrumBoPing

i find this to be a rather ugly car but you have modeled it well. good job with it so far.

mpfive said:
actually, i suggested transparency to begin with, its because i figured for a few final renders he can make the cylinders glow red, and if done correctly, it may give the impression as if the rear lights are on
I've got a question. How can I do that in 3ds Max 8?

well, i don't know how its done with the regular scanline and mental ray renderer, but if you get vray, then you simply apply vraylightmtl so that it glows, choose the color and the intensity, thats it

mpfive said:
well, i don't know how its done with the regular scanline and mental ray renderer, but if you get vray, then you simply apply vraylightmtl so that it glows, choose the color and the intensity, thats it
And If I won't be using vray, is it better to delete these lamps and set visibility to 1,00 just like multimediaman said?