Midpoly Vehicle Contest: Pontiac Fiero

After 4 days of modelling I've decided to show you this one. It now has 19920 tris and the contest limit is 20000. If you can see any major bumps please comment.

Attachments

I dont see why you would use mesh smooth on a car like this. In my opinion it would looks much hotter without mesh smooth and just close attention to smoothing the car out.

A little update (interior,tail lights and sign). It now has 19972 tris. About the meshsmooth, I think it looks better with some parts on. I'll try to texture a wheel.

Attachments

Really no reason to use meshsmooth besides doesn't the polycount go too high when you apply it? Could you show a pic with polycount in it?

multimediaman

Traffic Car Connoisseur
The shape of the front of the doors really needs more work - it looks like it's dented in about where the wheel well top arches are... , and the little bumper extrusions are way too rounded and/or small... They're more like chamfer cubes on the actual car, plus they extend further towards the outsides of the vehicle

multimediaman said:
The shape of the front of the doors really needs more work - it looks like it's dented in about where the wheel well top arches are...
Maybe it looks like this from this angle but after I've zoomed it I saw that there's nothing to worry about.From other angles it looks good.

I've added speedlimiter and small side and bumpers lights. I've also textured front brand sign and deleted some meshsmooths, so it now has 19970 tris.

Attachments

multimediaman

Traffic Car Connoisseur
I'm not sure why I didn't notice this earlier... but two things: The pontiac fiero's rear window is not placed at the end of the pillars as you have it there... it is actually placed inset some. In fact, it's inset so far that you'd see it through those rear side windows you've got there ... bringing up my next point of accuracy, the rear windows you have there are not supposed to be windows. They're just painted-up detailwork on the actual vehicle, for that year of vehicle.

The '87 or so models started having it more like the configuration you have though

Here's an image that should show what I'm talking about fairly well.

multimediaman

Traffic Car Connoisseur
LOST said:
Thanks man I'll try to change this window. It must have been poor blueprints. Thanks for ref.
:( good blueprints :p

I meant that the '87 or so fieros had windows in the rear like that... although they weren't really functional windows.

... the rear side windows were actually on the outside of the car though - how odd is that? lol

I have changed that rear window and then I've changed some interior panels so it is lined up now. Today I'll try to take pictures from my wheels and texture it.

If there are other bumps or errors let me know!

To multimediaman: I'm doing this older version (First ref.). And thanks again for pointing this one out. I've just done it too fast and I thought it is ok. Now I can see that on my blueprints to and sorry for calling that poor blueprints. THANX!

Attachments

Another update. I've remodeled whole wheels with rims and done rear spoiler. This reduced amount of tris to 18500, so I'm going to add some details. Plzz comment on what I have so far.

Attachments

Now I have 1200 "free tris" :) so I've decided to do engine and front trunk. Here is photo from wikipedia and quick render from my model. I know that it isn,t very good right know, but I need some advices so it can look perfect. 8)
I was also thinking about material to that engine hood(with vents) and I thought that maybe it would be better to assign windows material with little changes. What do you think about that?

Attachments

Fixed bumpers a little, thanks to multimediaman for pointing that out and rendered with reflections and car paint material. I've also created spare wheel in rear trunk but this will come with the next update.

Do you like it? I wonna see comments, dudes!

Attachments

multimediaman

Traffic Car Connoisseur
Okay... I've compared your model to the car closely and carefully, and here's my list of tweaks for you. (sorry bout the nit-pickiness) :p

first one... you're missing the little grille on the left-hand side. Not sure if you were going to put it on once you were sure the modeling was complete enough to loose symmetry, but that's one of the things that's missing...

This picture also brings to mind that you're missing the pontiac logo on the pillar above the door handle... and also it looks like your handles might be made funky for the car. The Fiero's handle is within the black stripe itself, and the mark on the body color is the indentation so you can pull the handle out - it's actually a pretty low-profile handle, not sticking out any further than the rest of the black trim... It's also hard to see, but your gas cap might be slightly too far forward on your car, and a little undersized, but again that's hard to tell.

Okay, now the front emblem... it looks like this... here's two images, the darker one is the most accurate due to the edge distortion of the lighter one, the lighter one just shows the details better. ... Oh good, also found a nice one to build from:

You had the emblem shaped like this for a while, then you went to the regular pontiac logo... so this one might have been by your design... just wanted to throw that out there though

And the rear trunk has some ridges in it where the inside is lower than the outsides, like this drawing shows:

don't forget the key hole on it too ;)

my last two nit-picks are:

the headlamp doors are flush with the car body, it's hard to tell from the pictures, but yours seem like they might be extruded up some. that might just be the bevel playing tricks on my eyes though...

and finally there's a body-line that you haven't modeled in yet at the front end. It extends down the sides of the hood at the front, and goes down to the body trim. The trim itself I believe is also split up here. The position of that line on my prints is correct, but the position of the turn signal isn't - it should be about an inch further back from the front of the car.

The car model is great so far as it is, I'm just listing these out for the sake of accuracy.

Thanks! Great advices. About the grill: I'll do that at the end. And those frontlights are extruded a little to more, cos' I wanted them to be openable. I'll try to change that all. I think that with Pontiac sign it is looking better so it's my design.

-This picture also brings to mind that you're missing the pontiac logo on the pillar above the door handle...
-your gas cap might be slightly too far forward on your car, and a little undersized, but again that's hard to tell.
-And the rear trunk has some ridges in it where the inside is lower than the outsides, like this drawing shows:
-the headlamp doors are flush with the car body, it's hard to tell from the pictures, but yours seem like they might be extruded up some. that might just be the bevel playing tricks on my eyes though...
-but the position of the turn signal isn't - it should be about an inch further back from the front of the car.
Thanks for pointing that out. It is fixed right now. 8)

The car model is great so far as it is, I'm just listing these out for the sake of accuracy.
Thanks for that. If you have other advices comment that so my Fiero can be almost perfect! :)

Attachments

Another renders with reflections. I have textured tyres with some textures from internet just to see how it looks like and tommorow I'll photograph my Michelin's and do my own textures. 8)

Attachments