Mercedes C63 AMG

Minde

Hello all,

Since I posted this one on cgcars decided to post here too. I slowly modeling C63 AMG model of Mercedes. Currently I started to model interior from photos matched to cameras, when I'll have some serious progress I'll post it, but for know been working on a steering wheel for about two days.
I'm mainly posting here with a hope that somewhere there is a person who has this vehicle and could help with reference and important details which of course most of photographers of cars are not interested in.
Attaching screens of wheel and some old exterior shots, which haven't changed since.

Attachments

Kangal

Wow man, i just can't find any critic about it, it seems just perfect, awesome work so far !!!
Maybe, the only thing is that the texture of the carbon part of the steer shouldn't have a discontinuity in the middle, bt it should flow with same orientation .

gorgeous so far man! you wouldnt happen to be sitting on blueprints for this car would you? I've been hunting for months for good C63 prints.

exidge

Administrator
Really good shapes!! The curves have an amzing flow! Would you mind also to show less diffused material with stronger highlight?

Cheers,
exidge

Minde

Mainly about the car, do not modeled it to that wire intensity, I just give basic shape and then added some smaller details. Of course spend a lot of time removing not needed edges and stuff like that.

@Knale:Thanks. Don't really understood question about blueprints.
@PBenjamim: Thanks.
@exidge: Thanks. Also attaching pics with higher specular level hope this is what you wanted, if you want more angles or some specific just say, there is nothing to hide, cause I know it has some bumps, but as for my second real attempt at modeling car I think its pretty good :D.
@salim: Thanks. Nice to see you too.:)

Attachments

exidge

Administrator
exidge said:
@exidge: Thanks. Also attaching pics with higher specular level hope this is what you wanted, if you want more angles or some specific just say, there is nothing to hide, cause I know it has some bumps, but as for my second real attempt at modeling car I think its pretty good :D.
Hey, I noticed the edges around the foglight seem to be a little too soft. I have attached an image to illustrate what I mean. Additionally, the oval shape is a little different in my opinion. Hope you don't mind the crit. Else it's really amazing.

Cheers,
exidge

Attachments

Minde

Yeah it's a bit too soft, probably fixed it. It's always the hardest part to get the edges right, they are to soft, to hard never good enough. Anyway could you also post a whole photo of that screen grab cause it looks like its modded, since stock c63 don't have fog light like that.

Also attaching picture of interior done only from photos and also cameras and photos setup. Which is a bit messy so I made script for managing cameras and their related planes with photos. I have a setup of 14 cameras. I have re-calibrated them about 3 times and have remodeled whole mesh twice that so about 6 times and this time I got pretty good and accurate result that is what I think :D, planing to do same thing not only with main panel but with other parts of interior too.

And a little about making of car itself since I started with exterior done also posting some screens how it looked in a basic shape how I call it. I made that shape then applied smoothed and started adding small details it seemed pretty good to me, but first I used it only on front bumper. But when I saw how good details can be added without loosing too much flow, I started to using this method on every part available on car. It does takes lots of polies but I also removed unnecessary ones just kept ones around different holes like for fog lights, door handles and stuff like that.

Attachments

dave_3d

Super Moderator
Mainly about the car, do not modeled it to that wire intensity, I just give basic shape and then added some smaller details. Of course spend a lot of time removing not needed edges and stuff .
Yes, your wire images are very dense, what density do you work with ... Are these now smoothed 1 iteration to add the details ? Just curious, as the outcome is excellent.

Cracking model. :)

Dave

exidge

Administrator
Yeah it's a bit too soft, probably fixed it. It's always the hardest part to get the edges right, they are to soft, to hard never good enough. Anyway could you also post a whole photo of that screen grab cause it looks like its modded, since stock c63 don't have fog light like that.
Hi. I was mainly talking about the shape, not the other modifications. THe oval shape is little different on yours, the curvature is not uniform, it's a little bit streched. Fillets are also always the same. Bigger, smaller, softer, sharper and on that foglight it's a little bigger IMO and more sharp. They are like half spheres with like 3 polyrows and a little sharping accent. Really if you get this well done it will add a lot. Even if you camera matched the parts with auto fov, I would not rely on it too much. If you want I could illustrate what I mean and model that hole.

Cheers,
exidge

Attachments

Minde

@dave_3d: I made a basic shape which is attached in earlier post that one with less edges and then that was turbosmoothed once, removed not needed edges and added turbosmooth of one iteration, the wires with high density is after one iteration. It actually looks good after one iteration but I prefer two.

@SySol: thanks.

@exidge: that's what you meant, ok i'll work on it. Thanks ;)

PBenjamim

Impeccable work Minde! Exterior looks pretty much perfect, so smooth and clean, damn! Interior looks pretty solid and accurate also. Excellent all around!

dave_3d

Super Moderator
@dave_3d: I made a basic shape which is attached in earlier post that one with less edges and then that was turbosmoothed once, removed not needed edges and added turbosmooth of one iteration, the wires with high density is after one iteration. It actually looks good after one iteration but I prefer two.
Thanks. Which picture is the one with less edges - they all look like the same density to me ?

Dave

Minde great work, fully deserves to be in the advanced section. Can you please share a non smoothed wire render of the steering wheel because i'm doing the one of the SLS AMG and I can't get the buttons right. Thanks ;)