McLaren P1 (2013)

Kangal

Hi guys

This is my attempt to create the oncoming McLaren P1, who'll be officially showed in 2013, on March, that's why i wrote 2013 in the title.
The car is very difficult and i'm doing my best.
Here are some screen captures and the fifth pic shows the wires. I know 211 will dislike these wires because i've cut the surfaces, but believe me i didn't find a better way to get it as u see it once shaded.
This shape is a true nightmare, it's everything damnly curved, and many parts are hidden, other parts are difficult to get right because the carbon is very shining and it deceives the eye.
The upper vent on the door (the one in dark grey) needs the hole still ofc, just i've to understand how it is done exactly.
Anyway i hope u like my work so far. Thanks for watching :)

Attachments

Kangal

Thank u Rob , Oscar and Raven :)
I'm very slow so i think i'll update my progress weekly only. Besides the main shape i did needs some adjustements to get more nattiness.
Also i'm not sure about the upper doors vents i did, uhmmm...i'll see along the walk.
Anyway, being this one the only stock car fastest than the Veyron SS Supersport (not in max speed who's useless but in 1 mile) and the new benchmark as handling and time lap, i'm very enthusiast doing it. I love its ''organic'' shape too, this is the car i'd like to own if i'd belong to the Rotschild family. Since i don't, the only thing i can do is to get it a bit mine creating virtually my own P1 :) Silver of course, not that horrible orange pearl which for some reason is suitable on Lambos only, like acid green is good on 911 GT3 RS only and red on Ferrari. My opinions only, of course ;)

i think this car is way too heavy with details and that shape is taken a bit too far. to me the best looking car is still the mclaren f1. nevertheless, id love to see this one finished. watching this thread

Kangal

@ Oscar
This car should have no less than 900 hp and about 1.1 ton, so its weight/power ratio is much better than the Veyron. This is what the specialized magazines say :)

@ rickyss
Frankly isn't clear yet if this has the very definitive shape, because McLaren will show officially the P1 on March only. I think it's more like kind of ''concept'', i mean, probabilly some details will be different. I don't know either if this P1 showed at Paris is a working car, judging by the tires it isn't (thread is sculpted by the McLaren logo and the windows look too dark, probabilly to hide empty interiors).
The brake discs too are strange, they're too shining to be carbo-ceramic and without holes or creeks. I think they're fake.
Anyway, the true value of the McLaren F1 is its glorious engine in my opinion. This engine, considered probabilly the best sport engine of all times, has been developed by the legendary german engineer Paul Rosche. It's the famous S70/2 6.1 L V12 built by BMW Motorsport, initially with 627 hp, then with 680 into the McLaren F1 LM.

This car instead has a McLaren factory engine, it's a tuned version of the well known MP4-12C engine, a small and light 3.8 L V8 bi-turbo. The MP4-12C is a great car, maybe it lacks a bit of personality and isn't as cool as a 458 to drive because it's aseptic, too perfect, a few emotions it gives. But it's damnly fast, faster than all the contestants anyway.I mean, faster than the Lexus IF, Ferrari 458, Lambo Gallardo , Porsche 911 GT3/GT2/Turbo, Nissan GT-R and so on. And when i say faster, i also mean time laps, not only straight acceleration . The Aventador also is very closed in acceleration, probabilly because of the 4wd only.
So, try to think how much this P1 will run, knowing it will be at least 200 kg lighter than the MP4 with about 300 hp more :eek:

Oscar J

It's impressive if it's true - I've heard figures of 750 hp /1,3 ton - but I guess nobody really knows.

We mustn't forget that the Veyron has 4WD, a huge advantage in acceleration.

I think the Koenigsegg Agera R 1140hp/1330hp does the standing mile faster than the Veyron SS, at least it's faster at 0-300-0 km/h, 0-200-0 mph, 0-200 mph and 0-300 km/h.

But what's most interesting about a super car is how competent it is around a track. There's no doubt that the MC P1 will be right up there at the top.

Kangal

Yep, the Agera R is an impressive car, no doubts, a true hypercar, as the SS-C Ultimate Aero . But what i mean, and as u've said, they've not been concepted basically for the time laps and tracks, they're more an exercise of pure power. That's why Mclaren and Ferrari won the most of the world championships on the tracks, together with Porsche and Lotus, in different categories. Power is useless without control, for example, a ''normal'' Nissan GT-R Mk1 of 2008 is almost as fast as a Veyron in the Top Gear track.

End of OFF TOPIC :) ...i mean...feel free to reply, just i don't want to get the thread confused ;)

Oscar J

I think you're wrong about the Agera - Koenigsegg CCR and CCX have held the lap record at Nürburg and Top Gear's track respectively - so I think Agera is rather good around a track as well. I'm waiting for some official numbers to confirm that though. I'm very into Koenigsegg; the factory is very close to where I live. I've even visited and been inside it once.

I do agree that SSC seems like a kit-car; built with only top speed in mind. That's a bit pointless IMO.

Kangal

Hi Oscar.
Well, this is the last OT made by myself because i don't want to create confusion on the thread, anyway this is the complete official list of the sport cars who run at the Ring, as u can see the CCX and CCR are at the 29th and 30th place, so, not so fast. Pay attention that this list is reserved to road car only, and yeah, Radicals are road cars even if they're so extreme. A normal Porsche 911 GT3 or a Nissan GT-R (2012) are faster there than the 2 Koenigsegg at the Ring, as u can see. And they cost less than 1/10. And if they run this way in the Nordschliefe, they'll have more or less the same results everywhere else, because the Green Hell is the most significant, important and trustable test for every car.

If u want, we can discuss about that privately :)

Very end of the OT, i ask sorry guys .

Attachments

Kangal

What do u think mods to move these last 4-5 post in a new thread named ''Nordschliefe'' lap times? This way we could discuss about that without to generate confusion going off topic.

@ Edward It's not so sure, the Ring is a nightmare and u know how fast it will go only after a severe test. In my opinion both the Aventador both the F12 are too big to get great times. In fact the Nissan GT-R is faster than Lambo with 150 hp less (and 1/3 of the price)

Kangal

Backing on the topic, i want to say i'm adjusting the main shape u see in the first post to get it as accurate as possible. I was meant to do it while i built it. For this, i'm using the ''CAGE EDIT'' tool, choosing the ''bounding box''_ ''CPlane'' option, and setting X=30 ;Y=12 ;Z=6 degree=5. Cage edit tool allows me to modify the shape without to destroy the mesh and the degree 5 keeps a very good curvature flow.
I'm now satisfied about the shape i've obtained after these adjustements, so i can proceed . The shape u see in the first post, as i've said, hasn't been adjusted yet.
I'll post the updates and other stuff at the end of the week :)

TwoOneOne

Administrator
Hi guys
I know 211 will dislike these wires because i've cut the surfaces, but believe me i didn't find a better way to get it as u see it once shaded.
true!
i still do not get it why you would split all the surfaces the way you did here.
you will end up with a model that will be too heavy and most of the stuff will be impossible to tweak or fix later on.

Kangal

Hi
Nope, cutting the single span surfaces i did (because they were all single span before the cuts), it doesn't increase the polycount as i've previously thought. It increases the polycount only if u detach them after, generating a new surface for each cut u did. Anyway, if just u want to delete the cuts, u need to detach every little surface clicking on the ''detach tool'', then u have to delete the multiple detached surfaces. It's a thing which's always possible to do, just u need to keep the edges of the original shape otherwise u'll get a formless mass.
But i don't want to do it after i've discovered cuts don't increases polycount allowing me to get a better meshflow with no microgaps among the surfaces.

Anyway, i've replied to u with every details by PM ;)

Kangal

Anyway, a litte update. I've added the rough shape of the windshield, roof and rear hood (very rough still both of them too) plus i've adjusted as i've said the whole body shape and some minor stuff. I'm doing everything very slowly.
I hope u like how's coming out so far :)

Attachments

Oscar J

Looks really bumpy, better start all over again. ;)

I wonder why the fillets around the front outtakes doesn't seem to line up perfectly with the area surrounding. Maybe it has something to do with the resolution of the model, I've been playing around with Rhino, and I think I remember a slider for that? Anyway, great work as usual.