Lowpoly Car Contest - Opel Ascona B - Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigga

New Member
#1
Well...

started this yesterday. I'm aiming for around 2,5k for the body and the rest I will be spending on the interior and the wheels... might have to cut some polies later, but well...

I'm going for a look like this...


 
#2
Re: Lowpoly Car Contest - Opel Ascona B

i like your clean wire
nice poly placement
but there is some places, where you can save some polies ;)
 

Tigga

New Member
#3
Re: Lowpoly Car Contest - Opel Ascona B

revelli said:
i like your clean wire
nice poly placement
but there is some places, where you can save some polies ;)
Yeah, I know... I'll cut them out. But glad that you like it. :)
 
#4
Re: Lowpoly Car Contest - Opel Ascona B

I hope you stay within the 5k limit, since this surely doesn't look like a 5k model :roll:
Looks nice though :) Keep it up!
 

Tigga

New Member
#6
Re: Lowpoly Car Contest - Opel Ascona B

An update \o/

I'm not too sure if I should leave that edge there in the smoothing on the rear, since on the real one it's relatively smooth there. But I couldn't find a good way to make that rounded and still have the smoothing of the trunk look good, since that is supposed to have the hard edge... well...

 

Tigga

New Member
#9
Re: Lowpoly Car Contest - Opel Ascona B

I slapped on the wheels of my Suzuki Jimny, just to see how it would look with some wheels.

Thanks, Nighteye for the tip about how I could make the rear end smoothing... :)



 

Tigga

New Member
#10
Re: Lowpoly Car Contest - Opel Ascona B

I just built the wheels. They are Borbet A.

322 polygons per wheel.
The whole model is at 3548 polies now.


 

Tigga

New Member
#11
Re: Lowpoly Car Contest - Opel Ascona B

Modelling is finished... well, almost, I just noticed that I'm missing an interior mirror... Anyway, here are new pics.






 

nosalis

Active Member
#12
Re: Lowpoly Car Contest - Opel Ascona B - Modelling done!

well done on the mesh.. it seems interesting to me.. that you have so many detailes and interior .. and you`re still below 5k triangles :)
 

clix101

Active Member
#13
Re: Lowpoly Car Contest - Opel Ascona B - Modelling done!

Looks like u could save quite alot of polies ( well, u dunno really. ive never done a low poly car ) if u make some ngons, instead of just tringles and quads. Then again it depends on what program u use :)
 

Tigga

New Member
#14
Re: Lowpoly Car Contest - Opel Ascona B - Modelling done!

clix101 said:
Looks like u could save quite alot of polies ( well, u dunno really. ive never done a low poly car ) if u make some ngons, instead of just tringles and quads. Then again it depends on what program u use :)
The polycount is counted in Triangles. Technically, if I were to count the 4 sided Polygons, I would have less polygons. But the contest rules strictly state that the polycount has to be counted in triangles.
 

nosalis

Active Member
#15
Re: Lowpoly Car Contest - Opel Ascona B - Modelling done!

exaactly.. if you`re creating a game model .. and that`s what`s Low poly modelling all about .. the everyengine I`ve known so far is using TRIANGLES for rendering.. no matter if you`re using N-Gons or even NURBS ... so that`s why we are counting triangles not polygons :)

edit: but you definitly can save some tris with optimizing the steering wheel :D
 

Tigga

New Member
#16
Re: Lowpoly Car Contest - Opel Ascona B - Modelling done!

nosalis said:
exaactly.. if you`re creating a game model .. and that`s what`s Low poly modelling all about .. the everyengine I`ve known so far is using TRIANGLES for rendering.. no matter if you`re using N-Gons or even NURBS ... so that`s why we are counting triangles not polygons :)

edit: but you definitly can save some tris with optimizing the steering wheel  :D
Yeah, I know. But on the real one the steering wheel is really noticeable if you look in from the side. I'll just tone down the steps in it a bit.
 

nosalis

Active Member
#17
Re: Lowpoly Car Contest - Opel Ascona B - Modelling done!

no I wasn`t thining about removing it, .. but create it a way that the shape in the cross section is rectange :) .. and the lower face can be deleted if not visible :) ... if you`re using plain black colour.. you cannot see that the steering wheel will be that flat :)

but you`ll see :) I was tryiing to find similar swheel as I`ve written.. but I haven`t found... the only one I found was as well square corss section :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.