Low poly car contest

How will the contest be judged? Will it be on the model or the model and textures. Im decent at medeling but not so hot at textures, at this point I just use squares of color. Im thinking of entering to get back into 3d.

Well, a part of lowpoly modeling is texturing. If the textures aren't going to be judged, you can't judge anything really :roll:
At least, that's my opinion..

Well yes, ofcourse. But with 5k as a limit, you just can't make everything the way you want, so you really do need textures. Even if they are simple ones, or just photos taken from the net.
If you think you can get nice results without baking textures, go ahead, nothing wrong with it. In fact, that's even better (lol, I'm contradiciting myself now). Because: if you can make a car without textures look as good as one with, with the same polycount, you're the man 8)
So it's up to you whether you use them or not :) I only recommend to use them, because with this polylimit you can't do too much without textures..

Anyway, FlashG will decide how it will be judged, but in my opinion, the texturing should be judged too :)

yeah thats true, Im just used to making cars w/o textures because I can't make them.

Also does the car have to be stock or can it be modified?

and I may have missed this but when does this competiton end?

NightEye said:
Anyway, FlashG will decide how it will be judged, but in my opinion, the texturing should be judged too :)
Yes textures will be part of it too. By golly my 2D-skills are bad too but it doesn't stop me trying :)

This is gonna sound way too much like a business letter but here goes...

I regret to inform you that I am temporarily withdrawing myself from the competition. I am already involved in 2 other contests at another forum, one of which I haven't even started on yet. If I have enough time, I will certainly get back into it and finish my Lancia Beta but as of right now, I'm out.

Sad to hear SSJ3_V hopefully you'll get back to it :)

Black240SX said:
Does the car have to be stock? How do you submit the car when your finished?
you can tune it if you want. When the car is finished show some wip pics and final renders or something. Let see how that render thingie would manage.

@mr.mean: Welcome to the show! :grin: Great car choice.

@NightEye & FlashG: Well, unfortunatelly I'm also a lame renderer, I can't even use renderiong tools :(

@SSJ3_Vegeta: Sad, but come on, the deadline is 2 months away, hope you'll join back ;)

@All: Since mine is done, i'm adding the link to my topic here (actually it's be useful if other competitors would post such links when they get done with their cars)

DONE: 1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme

Grungy Harry said:
@SSJ3_Vegeta: Sad, but come on, the deadline is 2 months away, hope you'll join back ;)
Trust me, if there's two months till the deadline I will. I just can't work on the car right now, I have other contests with much sooner deadlines that I have to attend to :p

It's a great idea to have this competition. Low polygon modelling is a real art.

It might be worth setting some more challenging limitations though ypur suggestion of 5000 tris is not really low polygon, I would suggest something more like -1800 tri's and only one 256x256 texture map, to include interior and wheels. That's more of a real-world low-polygon spec for current-gen console hardware.

Here's one I made earlier :) Approx 2000 tri model, opening doors etc.

Attachments

That is some lowpolylovely car :D Brilliant work!

Well 5k is still lowpoly but next lowpoly contest could be then with 2k polies etc. :)

Although todays games can use more polies and bigger textures ;)

SiliconDreemz said:
That's more of a real-world low-polygon spec for current-gen console hardware.
lol, not at all :p
5k is already very low, actually :roll: Though it's a great polycount to work with for contests :)
I'd suggest make this contest every few months, and add a 2k contest :)
I think most people would be interested in 5k, since not everyone is as good in texturing..

But yes, lovely model 8)