LCA Contest: The bluesmobile - 74 Dodge Monaco

Thanks a lot everyone for the comments and encouragement. Much appreciated.

And i've got to say thanks Tom for your past tutorials and projects. The've all been really helpfull. Thanks.

I know some people think blender is a bit soft, for want of a better word. But it continues to amaze me what people do with it. its free and it seems like every other month there is a new update with more features.

As i've been tweaking my model i've been thinking about how im gunna texture this thing, so I thought I would do a bit of quick and nasty UV test. Oh **** I think my challange with this car has only just began!! Im gunna try to get that really filthy dirty look. But its going to take a lot of texture work.

Now that i've got a slightly shinny paint on it i can see more problems with the modelling also. Especially around the back pillar area. Will have to fix this.

Cheers

Attachments

tom120934

Administrator
What an incredibly cool update ! I'm looking forward to see it rendered with a couple of black-suited and black-hat men ;)

And i've got to say thanks Tom for your past tutorials and projects. The've all been really helpfull. Thanks.
You're welcome. Glad to be helpful.

I know some people think blender is a bit soft, for want of a better word. But it continues to amaze me what people do with it. its free and it seems like every other month there is a new update with more features.
You're right, it's IMHO the fastest evolving software around there. And that's good for us, blenderheads !

well I must be working too hard! I missed this one! but I am happy to see it. I have some reference images here on the site http://www.smcars.net/forums/picture-reference/26895-dodge-monaco-1974-a.html
one critique is the rear door is too small it comes up and wraps the rear wheel and then goes back to the window. you will see the shape of the rear door at the above link it also shows the front is not so flat. hope it helps. :) I got Blender and Zmod. but am having a time in getting into the modeling myself. worst part is time. and not enough now, but I won't give up.

Thanks again guys for all the comments.

Just a quick update.

Tom. The guys in black hats and sunnies will fit in somewhere!

Tiberius. Thanks heaps for those references. I can now see a lot of details like how the front windscreen works etc. Briliant!! You were absolutly right about the rear door and the pointiness of the front. I layed over your model shots, a photo from the film and a screen grab to sort out where I was going wrong. I ended up having to lift the roof line a little also. So I may have to redo some of the chrome strips but I think the shape is much better now. Also noticed that my door handles look a bit chunky too. Something I havnt fixed on this render.

I know what you mean about lack of time! And next month will only be worse!!

Olddog. When are we going to see some orange paint?

Cheers

Attachments

New update again trying to get the textures right. Still a lot to do. Have to add much more dirt. Everything is still way too clean and shiny.

Also added a text using yafray. Does anyone know why my glass is no longer transparent and my tyres and wheels have lost thier texture??? I've mucked around with heaps of settings but have never had heaps of success using this renderer. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

it's a pure beauty, you are doing a great job... i would just like to make some suggestions:...

imo carpaint is generaly to reflective and shiny while this car should look more beaten up,..

also... i dont know how things are done in the renderer you are using, but i would suggest using diferent mats, 1 for carpaint and other for dirt, ofc dirt should be bumpy and not reflective, that can probably be done in many different ways, i just hope you understand my idea...

anyway keep up good work, i'm looking forward for new pics

A small update with different textures and a few extra modelling tweaks. Any crits most wellcome.

Thanks for the comments guys.

andrijac. All suggestions are most appreciated. I understand what your saying, I've tried a heap a different options and think im now getting somewhere. At the moment i've got a base colour with a dirt texture over the top then another one for the reflectivity. It kind of working better I think but I still need to tweak things. Thanks again for your input.

Attachments

The IC

uses too many smileys
nice job so far chris20! texturing looks great...only thing that sticks out for me at the moment is the reflections, they just look like a generic noise map

looks much, much better now, but you still need a specular texture to make dirt less shiny then paint and bump map for dirt also...

oh, i just noticed, yor licence plate is way to blurry, but that shuldn't be to hard to fix...

keep up the good work

Thanks for the comments guys.

The IC. You were bang on with noise map which was over the top. I've changed this to an image which I think is much better. The bonnet shows up what I want. The sides are a little blown out cause of my lighting and I need to add it to the front panel and front of gaurds.

Andrijac. Thanks for pointing out the Number plate. Is fixed but now I need to give it a few dents. And have tried putting a slight bump on the lower down dirt which helps more. Thanks. I just need to be carefull, too much and it looks like thick mud.

schaefft. Yeah I just downloaded some files from cgtextures.com (grudge) and then layed them up in photoshop. Then just mucked around with the generic psd brushs. Muck around with scattering and pen pressure if you have wacom tablet. Then just adjusted opacity. Its a lot of mucking around. i wish I chose a shiny new car now.

Another update. Tried putting in the brothers and it will proably work. Still missing a lot of textures though.

Cheers

Attachments