LCA Contest: 1961 Ferrari 250GT California - Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Ok, here's a compromise render I did before I left for work this morning. I turned off all of the layers that didn't show, and changed the camera to a 20mm wide angle (probably almost fish-eye)... it's not perfect, but it was fun to have a different view!

-Ben

Ok, I got a good render (and in only 25 minutes!) by tweaking a bunch of the mesh properties and render settings... Hopefully it looks decent to you guys!

-Ben

Ok, one more... I added inner fenders this morning quick. I love the short render times I'm getting now that I'm pulled me head out, and reduced the complexity of the meshes!! I also am proud that I figured out how to get softer shadows... that was a mind-bender, and then I found Sub-surface scattering! :)

-Ben

Headlights!! I finally figured out (one way anyways) how to make my headlight covers actually appear clear, and now they show what's inside the cover!

What I had to do, and again, there's probably a better way to do this, but I couldn't figure it out, was to add four lamps; two inside each headlight cover. One is on the layer of the car body, and lights the inside of the headlight opening, the other is on the layer of the headlamp (which needs more work yet) cylinder itself.

Anyways, I've proven that the concept works, and hopefully that'll help you guys out some! Again, thanks for the tips, the help, and the encouragement! I know my car can't compare to the rest of yours, the Gran Torino, Saleen Mustang, Blues Brothers car, etc. all blow this away, but I'm having a blast! :)

Take care!

-Ben

it turns out there is some question about whether an actual Ferrari was used in the movie, or if it was a replica. -Ben

There was absolutely a replica involved for the driving sequences and the destuction scene.

Shortly after the movie came out, by pure chance, I happened to meet the actual owner of the all-glass garage at a car show in Chicago and he confirmed for me that they had used a replica in the movie.

An actual 1961 Ferrari 250 GT Spider California was used for some close-up scenes while parked, but the giveaway for me while watching the movie was that the windshield appeared to me to be from a Fiat 124 Spider (I have one and it looked too familiar - though it was certainly a close choice for a different Italian convertible).

I've read that the replica was actually an MGB chassis underneath a fiberglass shell. Naturally the sounds were dubbed from a real V-12 Ferrari.

Thanks Jomar; Motorace, that's some luck! Pretty cool information, thanks for sharing!

Here's my latest update, I had about an hour to blow yesterday, so I got the front bumper done, and started on the parking lights/turn signals... the fender isn't too smooth there, so I still have some work to do.

-Ben

Here's a quick render... I changed my sky a little bit to make it more... "real" looking. Kinda. Sorta. Anyways, figured I'd toss it up and see what you think,

-Ben

Overall its not bad but the part thats really killing the car is 2 major points. You need more curve on the side towards the bottom, and you need to reform your front. I can see by the reflections its got some wierd areas. Anyhow the main thing is you need to lower your headlights it seems. If you look at the picture I posted you'll notice how close the front light is to the headlight. Your bumper also seems to curved, which is probably because you are trying to shape it to your existing car body.

1. curve towards the bottom at the sides

2. Work on or bring down the front headlight, Id recommend using a FFD type tool, (sorry not sure which program you are using, but I'm sure it has a tool similar to FFD)

3. Add a chamfer around the fenders , I see you sort of have one, but try and make it more defined so it sticks out more. It should dissapear into the front like in the picture.

Attachments

Overall its not bad but the part thats really killing the car is 2 major points. You need more curve on the side towards the bottom, and you need to reform your front. I can see by the reflections its got some wierd areas. Anyhow the main thing is you need to lower your headlights it seems. If you look at the picture I posted you'll notice how close the front light is to the headlight. Your bumper also seems to curved, which is probably because you are trying to shape it to your existing car body.

1. curve towards the bottom at the sides

2. Work on or bring down the front headlight, Id recommend using a FFD type tool, (sorry not sure which program you are using, but I'm sure it has a tool similar to FFD)

3. Add a chamfer around the fenders , I see you sort of have one, but try and make it more defined so it sticks out more. It should dissapear into the front like in the picture.
Thanks for pointing out these problems! As hard as it is to hear criticism sometimes, you're absolutely right on all points. I've started tweaking the fender in front of the front wheel... that was very obviously wrong once I saw your reference photo. I think I'll have a better version later today. My bumper is really, really ugly compared to your reference photo. I think I see where I went wrong, that should be pretty easy to clean up.

Can you explain what an FFD tool is? I am using blender, does that help?

On the chamfer, I am pretty happy with the one I have. I have a few good reference photos and that's one area I think I did good on (as good as I can being new at this! :) ), but I absolutely need to blend it better in front of the front wheel.

I think you're right about curving the sides of the car in more above the weird black tube (are those the mufflers?)... I'll try to get that tweaked tonight as well. After I plow the driveway! :)

Thanks for the input, it is very appreciated!

-Ben

Here's a new render at an angle close to the angle of the reference photo you provided... I only tweaked the front fender a little bit, so the rest is as it was. Let me know if you see anything else that needs work... I've already found a few things! :)

-Ben

May I just say; I admire your courage to join a contest eventhough you're new to modeling. I respect you for that.

I like the latest render a lot, but it clearly shows some major bumps around your model. Don't worry though, only practise makes perfect :)

Hey, thanks for the kind words, NightEye! I'm learning and having fun, that's what counts! :)

I noticed that compared to the reference photo in the message above, my car was quite wide, so I just spent a few minutes narrowing it up. I blew away the front bumper completely, the more I looked at it, the worse it looked... :( Oh well, I'm learning!

Hopefully I'll have a new render with a couple cleanups later this evening, or in the morning.

-Ben

Ok, here's the new render. The car is a bit narrower, but otherwise, not much has changed. I think it looks a TON better proporitionally. What do you guys think?

If anyone has better reference photos, I'd appreciate them, I'm working with an assortment of 3/4 views, and a wide-angle front and rear photo (I think that's what screwed me up with the width).

-Ben

Wow. keeps getting better and better. I think the thing that is puting me off is the sills.( Is that what you guys call them in america?). Like icekid sugested they need to come down and in. That way its going to sit lower. Just my 2 cents worth. Mate you have got to be proud of it though. Cant believe its your first real go at modelling!!!

Wow. keeps getting better and better.
Thanks Chris!

I think the thing that is puting me off is the sills.( Is that what you guys call them in america?).
I agree with you... (we call them sills or rockers in my neck of the woods) especially from this angle, you can really see something is wrong. It almost looks like a 4x4 truck! :)

Mate you have got to be proud of it though. Cant believe its your first real go at modelling!!!
I am very proud, and probably more surprised at the results than you! Even though it's not perfect, it's been really fun, and quite the learning experience. I've been a computer programmer and web developer for about 10 years, but I'm really thinking about getting some formal schooling in this CG stuff, as it's the most fun I've had on a computer in a long time!

Hopefully I'll have the re-formed sills done before I head to work.

-Ben

Here's with the reformed sills... I keep finding more things wrong with my model, but I think I'm going to ignore the minor ones, and focus on the big things. I'm anxious (and nervous!) about doing the interior, and so if I'm going to have a chance of being done by the 31st, I'd best finish up the exterior, and work on that soon.

-Ben

Here's another render. I got very frustrated at my lack of skills when attempting to remedy the items Nighteye (and others) pointed out... I finally came to the conclusion that I've done a good job that I can be proud of even if it isn't 100% accurate. What with the lack of blueprints, the lack of photo reference, two (or more!) different types of cars to model off of (see original post), etc. it was a very big challenge for me for my first project (to say the least!). I've been having fun though, and learning a lot!

Anyways, here's the render, I tried doing an HDRI background, I think I messed something up though, what with the black horizon. Oh well... I'll probably do studio renders for the rest as they are MUCH quicker to render!

-Ben