LCA Contest: 1961 Ferrari 250GT California - Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Hi,

Great looking project, of a really cool car.

It seems you have solved the issue on the grille surround, but if not here's one solution.

The "cleft" comes when you subsurf, and mirror the object. What I do to get rid of these is to Crease the 3 vertices on the very corner. Select the vert(EDIT should be all 3 verts selected at the same time), and ctrl-W (I think, I usually have transform properties shown and just write in the crease field) set the value to 1. Would have liked to illustrate but I am at work with no access to blender.

This should "straighten" :hmm: the corner to 90deg.

Also make sure the verts, in the middle, or the mirror line, of the model should be aligned to the center of the object (on mine this would be X =0.000). It seems you have a small artefact on the render, just on the middle of the grille surround that looks as if the two mirrored parts are overlapping just a little. There might be something on the top as well, but the body is clean as ever.

Great job, you learn faster then me - which might not be impressive to anyone but me :grin:. I'd love to see som wires though.

Jakob

Looking better and better each time Ben.

Agree you should leave your tyres. They look great!! Keep the updates coming...

53 f-100. Wow we can only dream of that sort of stuff over here in Australia.

Well guys, I tweaked my hood a bit near the scoop and the windshield frame so it would be smoother in both places, and am doing a render right now (it's movie time, so I'll upload the render in the morning).

Here is a wireframe, wasn't sure how to do it other than to grab a screenshot.

I was going to try to do my headlights tonight, but kinda hit a problem. How do I make an opening, or take my existing fender area, and duplicate it so I can modify and make it into a headlight? Are there any good tutorials on this? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm really enjoying doing this, and am quite proud of how good it is turning out! Thanks for the help as well, you guys are as much responsible for this as I am, I'm just following your instructions! :)

-Ben

Here is a wireframe, wasn't sure how to do it other than to grab a screenshot.

I was going to try to do my headlights tonight, but kinda hit a problem. How do I make an opening, or take my existing fender area, and duplicate it so I can modify and make it into a headlight? Are there any good tutorials on this? Thanks in advance!
You can "render" the current viewport with the little button to the right of the select mode buttons , the icon looks like the add picture icon used in most apps.

You can seperate part of a mesh to a new object by pressing "p", obvoiusly you can make a copy of the desired verts before, and then seperate those, if you wish to keep the original intact.

Btw: creasing is not ctrl-w as I thought the other day it's shift-e

Keep it up:)
/Jakob

Thanks guys, I didn't get a chance to work on this yesterday, but I rendered a new slightly cleaned up version Friday night, which is below. You can see the hood is more parallel with the bottom of the windshield frame, and the area around the hood scoop is smoother.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do the headlights, I'm thinking maybe I can somehow intersect the body with a cylinder, and merge the vertices, but I've only done that once before, so I'll have to find the tutorial on how to do it! :)

-Ben

No renders today, but thanks to a bunch of people on the forum, I think I have my headlight problems licked! I'm doing a new render right now, and I've decreased the mesh count, so I'm hoping it will render in significantly less time, but still look as good.

Thanks again for all the help, I'll have a render for you to check out in the morning!

-Ben

Here is the promised update with the headlight holes, and chrome trim! Looks like I still have some tweaking to do around the edges of the chrome, but I'm just happy to have my holes looking good! :)

-Ben

Great work Ben. Thats a massive update. Looks great!!!

When you start to seperate your panels have a look at the insert edge loop tool. I insert a couple of edge loops then delete the faces in between. Then you will have to add more edge loops and extrude those edges to get the little fold into the panel gaps. And before you know it you will have a whole mess of vertexs and edges and stuff so that it becomes completely confusiing but it will be worth it. Im thinking your at that stage now.

One other thing. You mention your renders are really slow. When I first started using Blender I didnt know the set smooth buton existed. (Feel free to laugh at me at this point) So I would bump up my subsurf setting to get a really smooth panel. Of course this was pretty dumb and my poor little machine would crash on rendering. I noticed on one of your previous posts with the wireframe that it looked like it wasnt smoothed. This may or may not be your problem. With what you have in your scene at the moment it doesnt look like it should be pushing your machine too hard.

Hope some of this waffelling helps.
Cheers

Hi guys,

Wow, alot more excellent tips! Thanks so much! :)

Yep, I got the mountain reflection taken care of... it was due to having too many triangles I think... I took care of alot of them (not all of course, but alot of them!).

Chris, I got my render times down alot... they are under an hour now... they were around 1.5 hours. I did this by going back to my original wheel that didn't have the spokes and rim joined into one object, and setting the render levels to six on the rim, and two on the spokes. Before, I had the spokes and everything set to six, which killed performance!

I'm sure I'm doing a ton of other stupid things, but I start my renders before going to bed, so it's not that bad. ;)

I should have an update in the morning with glass headlights, but I'm not very happy so far with how the glass is turning out... windshield included. Does anyone know of a good set of settings for glass, or a tutorial on how to set it up? I've been playing with the settings, but what I really need to do is sit down with the documentation and learn what each function does.

Anyways, thanks for the info guys, I'm off to bed!

-Ben

Howdy all!

I've been busy, then sick, then sick of being busy, so I haven't been working on this too much. Anyhow, I finally got back to it today (stayed home sick), and worked on my headlight covers, and the hood opening. I think the headlights are still not right. Let me know what you think, and if you have any pointers for me on the headlight covers (and window glass too!)... thanks!

-Ben

Amen Chris! LOTS of trial and (for me mostly) errors... ;)

I didn't have alot of time to work on it, but I added the fender vent thing... I really have no idea what it's for, none of the photos show it "open" or anything, any ideas? Also added the door handle, I think I did a really god job on that, and it was really fun! :) I'm about to go to bed (have to work on servers in the AM early) so I'm starting a new complete render. I'll post it in the morning.

-Ben

Looking really good...nice to see you figured out the headlights...I was worried about that!

You're getting nice renders from Blender...I started on blender back on version 2.00 or something like that...I'm on to Maya now(work....ppfff), but blender is awesome! Mt only crit is that the red seems bit desaturated...

Mt only crit is that the red seems bit desaturated...
Thanks much nosh! It means a ton coming from you, your Falcon is looking unbelievable!!

I'm not sure exactly what desaturated means... can you explain it to me? Thanks!

Oh, and my luck, Blender crashed on me after I walked away from the computer last night, so no new render this morning... :(

-Ben