KaiserWerft Baron 40.6 M/Y "CATWALK"

Discussion in 'WIP Critique: Advanced Video Game & Real-Time' started by OriK, Sep 7, 2011.

1. OriK

OriK Member

KaiserWerft Baron 40.6 "CATWALK"

Hey folks,
    I'm working on a semi commercial project which purpose I can't tell about yet. Well, it's not a car but it's moving ^^. The image shows the M/Y Catwalk, originally built by the german KaiserWerft. This beauty has been nominated as best yacht in 2007. Additionally I must say, I was able to model the yacht of my choice. I have seen this beauty first on TV in a "Making Of" documentation years ago and felt in love immediately. Actually I'm not a boat enthusiast but one single spark can cause fire :). In that case mainly because of it's sleek design. The Catwalk is not an "overcurved " thing with undefinable window shapes and so on... . I also love the vertical windows on the sun deck. This vintage style combined with the modern hull is just awesome. A very minimalist yacht.

Here you can watch a promotion video from the manufacturer. The song is "Angelique" by Mike Oldfield.

I have posted a rendered image instead of a real-time grab this time because I wanted to test the DOF Pro plugin for Photoshop ^^. Nonetheless the final result is supposed to get rendered in real-time. It's still WIP even when it looks complete. I haven't made an export setup yet because alot of things have to be optimized. Right now I'm at 39 render materials and try to reduce them to max 20 shader materials. I also noticed some issues on the geometry I need to fix. After all optimizations the rest is more technical work like exporting into the engine and making several things working (animations, lights etc). I rendered the Catwalk as miniature model but the final yacht is going to be a 40m long watercraft ;).

[​IMG]

More screenshots and renderings perhaps are coming later. The web link to the project will be revealed when some things are done.

Edit:
    I'm not sure about the correct sub forum since I can post in the advanced section. Perhaps I missed a note that admins move from standard to advanced forums. If so, feel free to move it back to the standard section.

Attached Files:

2. johnas

johnas VIP

I think this deserves to be at advanced forum :cool:

That thing looks quite hipoly or does it just have polies in right places? :)

3. OriK

OriK Member

I hope the polygons are at the right place :). Altogether the vessel is at 386.000 tris but there is no complex environment required. I know everybody says it everytime but compared with next gen games the Catwalk's polycount is actually not that high. Test environments acknowledged the tech specs already.
    An interior is not intended but I simulated black empty rooms to watch through the windows from one to the other side. Another reason for the polycount is to use as few textures as possible. So only the wooden materials are textured. All other structures like the plank joints, paintings (lower hull e.g.) etc are modelled in. That allows different material properties instead of using an endless count of textures and additional blend masks. That also means, single materials can be changed easily. Especially regarding the planks a texture solution would require an ultra high resolution map if you don't want to see pixels from human perspective. Now the planks are modelled with 26.000 tris.
    Some elements may look very high poly but imagine you stand directly in front of it. This relativises the density of polygons since the midpoly cars from this side would even look more complex if compared at right scale :).

The polycount itself is not the problem at todays computergames but the count and complexity of the shader, shadow casting, post effects etc.

[​IMG]

4. johnas

johnas VIP

That would be pain to UVW map also so shaders are better option hehe

Wires looks great, seems like polies are placed on right places :)

5. greenvampire

greenvampire Super Moderator

Vehicle Artist - Ubisoft Reflections
    looks like a good model, and a very nice effort :)

as for the polycount & shaders, it really depends on the intended use.
    300+k tris is frankly high poly, whichever way you look at it. The only difference is that if the model is only going to be in a scene with a few other items + small environment, the engine will handle it.
    However if you stuck this in a game with a large environment, and mass amounts of spawn items etc, it would not work.

Obviously you and your client know that the polycount is fine for the intended use, so im sure it wont be a problem :)

My only main concern is the number of shaders... again seems very high for realtime / game ready work. Hence the need to usually unwrap and add detail to texture maps keeping the number down to a minimum.

Not trying to discredit your work, as it is great, just have concerns that it aint Gameready / realtime, hopefully you will prove me wrong though :)

6. OriK

OriK Member

@greenvampire
    I really appreciate your concerns. This is the first time I make a real-time object this way. Any additional help in optimizing such a project is welcome.
    Fortunatly I only need decent shader which not even support normal maps. When I remember my Nissan Skyline, the complete ingame car has used more than 40 materials. Unoptimized of course but I was not that familiar with the background then. I try to merge down as many materials as possible. The more I think about it the more ideas I get to reduce them to less than 10. In the end you propably don't even notice slight differences on the glossy reflections or specular values.

@johnas
    thanks ^^

7. salim

salim Administrator

Senior 3D artist
    hey Orik nice to see you back bro .

nice work here ! and i completely agree with GV the number of shaders is very high , as you might know a lot of materials are close to each other the difference can be seen only on speculare , the thing wich probbaly will help you to gather those parts that are close and unwrap them and put them in 2 - 3 textures maps .
    anyway , look forward to see more bro !

keep it up
    cheers

8. greenvampire

greenvampire Super Moderator

Vehicle Artist - Ubisoft Reflections
    No problemo, glad you took my comment the right way :D

I checked out your website, and there is some fantastic work on there!
    In regards to optimizing the Kaiser, I would probably try to get the Mats down to maybe 5 if possible, and reduce general poly's where there not seen etc.
    Overall though, as long as the client is happy, then go ahead with it how it is.... sometimes us artists worry too much!

9. rickyss

rickyss Member

however you look at this model its high poly, but it looks amazing. if it meets the requurements it doesnt really matter though. there are many areas where you could save polygons, but not significantly though.
    good job!!

10. OriK

OriK Member

I'm currently waiting for some Unity Code so the Dodge has to wait again for some days. I try to use this time expediently and bring the MY Catwalk into Unity, too.

Click for interactive 3D model viewer 17.1MB

Right now there is nothing optimized in the scene. But it's nice to see that the ship runs extremely smooth without all that post effect stuff. So the 370.000 tris and 18 materials don't really cost much. Additionally I have added soft shadows, real-time water reflection and screen space ambient occlusion. That is quite expensive. One important goal is to reduce the overall file size.

Now I'm going to optimize the tri-count. That may take a while. Additionally all meshes get mapped in the 2.uv chanel for baked ambient occlusion (I can drop the SSAO then). Perhaps I'm also going to bake the real-time shadows but that would limit me to that exact light position.

After the yacht is complete I'm goingt to add a scene around it. Something like a small bay but nothing spectacular.

The first shown image has been edited. The other ones are sharpened only and represent the model viewer.

Attached Files:

11. AndyCTDP

AndyCTDP New Member

Very cool details :). Especially the water is really nice!

12. OriK

OriK Member

The water is always a horrible but funny task though. It takes ages to setup a real looking water especially because I don't want to have ocean waves. However the Unity water looks great but I still need some shader enhancements ^^.

The current update is barely visible. I have reduced the yacht's tri-count down to 250.000 by removing over 130.000 tris. I could obtain a few more frames and the overall flickering is by far lower than before. There is still an issue with the shader so that very flat surfaces still cause aliasing artifacts. You extremely see that on the railing.

The sound has been fixed as well. I merged down 3 files to one and made a 36 seconds loopable ambient sound. Now I used a more calm water than before. The yacht has anchored near the coast (the coast is still missing) so wild open water doesn't really fit.

Optimzing the player ended up with a file size of 11.4MB. I saved nearly 6MB.

Perhaps anybody notice an improvement like faster rendering. So here is the new player.
    Click for interactive 3D model viewer 11.4MB

Next I'm going to unwrap this vessel for the ambient occlusion maps. Baking occlusion maps here is pain actually since the Catwalk is extremely large (because you can walk on board later). Avoiding visible render samples means to use rather high resolution occ maps. At least Unity has a real good compression rate. I'll see how it turns out.

13. OriK

OriK Member

It took alot of time to complete the lightmap generation. Baking GI into textures is heavyily time-consuming. A single map may render several days. I noticed, it's time to purchase a new working machine. However, all GI maps have been rendered and are basically done. There are still some minor issues which can be fixed in PS fortunately. Everything regarding the light has been baked. So it's pretty performance friendly but the light condition can't be changed anymore. You just can't get everything :). I could have used HDR for the different decks because the lower deck is kind of dark but I still wanted to keep things simple.

Click for interactive 3D model viewer 34.0MB

The app size increased alot since I've been adding background music and most GI maps have a texture resolution of 2048². To put all details of such a big object into some lighting maps requires alot of resolution unfortunately.

By pressing the single button in the upper middle of the viewer you can switch into first person mode and discover the yacht by feet. The water is still heavy in terms of performance so feedback regarding any performance issues would be really nice.

Right now I'm going to animate the flags with cloth simulations. Waving flags would be the cherry on top.

Please ignore the bluish chrome elements. Afterwards I can finally start off with the background scene. When the background is done, Im going to recreate all environment maps. Also the inner chrome elements get a propper map assigned then.

The images below are all "unedited" screenshots.

Attached Files:

14. OriK

OriK Member

Alright, to set up the cloth simulation for the waving flags worked faster than expected. The GI maps have been tweaked as well. Additionally I fixed a mistake with the texture compression. The viewer is 10MB smaller in file size now.

Watch the waving flags 24.7MB

15. OriK

OriK Member

I've been working on the layout of the bay. I tried to integrate small beaches, high rocks as well as rising hillsides. Since the Unity water shader offers some pretty cool features I'm also going to create an underwater scene (sand, corals and rocks only, nothing spectacular). The green areas already mark the density of the vegetation.

It's a nice feeling already to not only watch the blank ocean from the sun deck.

Reference for the environment is the Maya Bay in Thailand.

Attached Files:

16. OriK

OriK Member

I've been creating a basic rock texture with Filter Forge and started off with detailing the scene. Only the wired rocks on the second image are done already. The structures in general are kind of simple but good enough for the distance. Shapes become defined by smoothing groups, which have to be set up manually, unfortunately. Automatic smoothing groups end up with unsatisfying results.

The rock texture is not final yet. When all rocks are detailed, I try to combine the rock texture with foliage. I need to see, how the final result looks and feels. Later on, alpha meshes will be placed around the rocks to break even more the rocky surface. The hard edges between the vegetation, beaches and rocks will also be broken with vegetation meshes. Of course the green areas become textured as well.

Attached Files:

17. Martin Leps

Martin Leps New Member

3d graphic artist
    Mind-blowing quality stuff! :O