Ferrari going Green?

Say it ain't so. Ferrari to go green with the FXX Millechili Concept

Apparently Ferrari is going to try to make their cars get better mileage and reduce CO2 emissions. I like the idea that they are trying to make their cars lighter, but if they try scaling back their performance, I won't be happy :x The Millechili looks like it might perform very well on the track, but I'm worried about future models.

yeah not a good sign.

there is no need for ferrari to go green. think about it, its not like they really mass produce many cars. i would put money on if you put all the toyota yaris togehter they would polluate more than the 400 enzo would ever pollute.

also its not like most ferrari owns use them as daily drivers so they are not goin to be used as much.

if any greens are whinging about them they should be shoot, i would say that them drving what ever car they diver would pollute more than 20 ferraris in there life time

its sad really.

yeah I would like to see this green ferrari to top 200 mph then it wont be too bad, but I bet the beautiful sound of the italian engines will disappear...
+1 tomsullivan

Zachary

jalopy madness
but I bet the beautiful sound of the italian engines will disappear...
i dont think so...

its possible to make powerful & durable engines, even if displacement is under 2liters. and with new technology emession standards should not be problem. ;)

anyways smaller engines does sound good aswell...
as example old 1.5 liter BRM V6
YouTube - BRM V16 Engine Sound

BRM V16 power curve: (pretty good for small engine huh?)
  • 100 bhp @ 5,000 rpm
  • 175 bhp @ 6,000 rpm
  • 250 bhp @ 7,000 rpm
  • 335 bhp @ 8,000 rpm
  • 412 bhp @ 9,000 rpm
  • 525 bhp @ 10,000 rpm
  • 585 bhp @ 11,000 rpm
  • 600 bhp @ 12,000 rpm

there is no need for ferrari to go green. think about it, its not like they really mass produce many cars. i would put money on if you put all the toyota yaris togehter they would polluate more than the 400 enzo would ever pollute.
this is exactly the most important fact most people/politicians simply ignore to see. these high performance cars are produced in 100s or 1000s. they will never be mass produced. also these cars rack up ~1000-2000km per year! whereas i drive my car ~15000 km a year.

i think it's got to put some effort in reducing CO2 emissions of 'popular' cars(meaning those that are bought a lot). especially SUVs are a really big problem imo.

that blows makes me want to hunt down some green peace members with a group of ferraris.... and shoot them with the most polluting gun i can find... but hopefully ferrari will use some genius and still make an awesome car ^^

yeah those green peace ppl are kinda stupid.

They went after Porsche,they where demostrating at there office. so Porsche put up banners saying that there cars produce the less carbon per BHP and crap like that.

you really get the feeling that they really dont know cars.

that why when ever green peace come to my door asking for donation, i tell them to piss off

the banners are in german i think mabye some one cna translate them for us

Attachments

The IC

uses too many smileys
youd think theyd at least go after Toyota, GM and Ford if they were going to whine about those sorts of things wouldnt you...

nah it's always the supercar/luxury that they aim for, not the cars/companies that are actually contributing to most of the CO2 output.

about the signs, here is a fast translation:

first pic:

Porsche is building "climatepigs"

second pic:

1st board
(it's quite ironic acutally :p )

Finally we've done it! (the "Geschafft!" can't be translated in one word)
Greenpeacae is demonstrating at Porsche.
Now we are somebody.
Welcome!

2nd board

Good to know: (like fun facts :grin: )

Porsche contributes only 0.1% to the CO2 emissions of the whole traffic
Porsche has the smallest CO2 output per PS
Porsche will reduce their output by 20% until 2012
Porsche will introduce a hybridmotor...ect.

3rd board

Dear freinds of Greenpeace:
Porsche is better than you think.
For you comfort:
David was underestimated too

i just love the last sentence :D so awesome!

Say it ain't so. Ferrari to go green with the FXX Millechili Concept

Apparently Ferrari is going to try to make their cars get better mileage and reduce CO2 emissions. I like the idea that they are trying to make their cars lighter, but if they try scaling back their performance, I won't be happy :x The Millechili looks like it might perform very well on the track, but I'm worried about future models.

If the mileage is neede to be improved the weight of the it should be reduced and you cannot expect the same perfomance.If there is a gain there you should copmromise on something.Any way hearty welcom to ferrai with fxx millechili concept

sky^sp

you may want to lash out at me, but i think it's a good idea. i've been pissed at their cars growing heavier with every new iteration over the last few years. thus they had to up the power a lot to just keep up with the performance of their older cars or, as in most cases, top it somewhat. simple example:
in 1988 the entry level ferrari was a 328 gtb with 270hp, the top end was the testarossa with 390hp and the limited edition was the f40 with 478hp.
compare that to the entry level f430 today - around 500hp, a 599/612 being close to 600hp. entry level now having more power than the limited edition super car of 20 yrs ago... loco

i'd like to quote colin chapman here, if a bit paraphrased. "add more power to make a car go faster on a straight, reduce the weight to make it go faster everywhere."

and that's my argument. why are these supposedly sports cars this heavy? >1.6 tons wtf. that's not a sports car, that's a 4 seater sedan weight. my, not really lightfooted, 156 weighs 1.3 tons and it accommodates 4 people, has a considerable boot (and pathetic performance :p), which none of those cars can or have. so where's all the weight come from. after all they're supposedly built using lightweight and hightech materials... yet a simple 2 seater car with no boot weighs a quarter or more % more than my sedan?

oh and another thing... lotus has built a biofuel powered exige that is basically just a standard exige with very small, if any, modifications to the engine to allow for the biofuel to be used. it is FASTER and MORE POWERFUL than the regular exige. and it's emissions are greener than the regular one - which given it's performance is already quite a green car ;) anyway - at least compared to some of the other so-called sports cars.

just because a car doesn't use regular petrol doesn't mean it isn't a proper sports car. any one claiming that is... well... you'll figure it out i guess... think audi r10... not a sports car because it uses a diesel engine? .. yea, right. less is more...

just my 2 cts

You deserve to be shot :p You do however make a good point, an exige does not hit 200mph+ however and so technically ferraris do have high top speeds therefore Biofuel may be good at medium speed 100-140mph but after that i have my doubts about it managing to propell the car at the 180 - 220+ range

multimediaman

Traffic Car Connoisseur
getting a car to weigh less and still have performance can only go so far.

Look at the 1993 chevrolet Lumina... 3,442 pounds...

and now look at the 1993 chevrolet lumina nascar... 3,500 pounds. And there aren't any interior luxuries, comforts, airconditioning, sound system, trunk... in fact, it's a pretty bare bones vehicle. the doors and bodywork aren't even real bodywork, they're just a shell slapped on there for aerodynamics.

but all in all... when it comes down to it, if it's sheer speed and performance that you want, there's a lot better options out there than ferrari... some of them are probably a lot cheaper options too.

you have to think who are these super cars being marketed to, not me or you, but ppl with lost of money, who just want to tell ppl "hey, see my car its got 1000bhp" and to make it safe for the ppl who drive them, they have to add weight to slow them down.

The IC

uses too many smileys
Look at the 1993 chevrolet Lumina... 3,442 pounds...

and now look at the 1993 chevrolet lumina nascar... 3,500 pounds. And there aren't any interior luxuries, comforts, airconditioning, sound system, trunk... in fact, it's a pretty bare bones vehicle. the doors and bodywork aren't even real bodywork, they're just a shell slapped on there for aerodynamics.
...eh? im a bit confused as to what point youre trying to get across here...GT cars such as the C6R are usually around 300-400kg lighter than their road going counterparts, and could be even lighter if it werent for the mimimum weight limit...nascars are bricks in terms of racing cars

and the latest koenigsegg CCXR runs on biofuel...makes 1018hp, weighs around 1100kg...im sure ferrari could do the same

multimediaman

Traffic Car Connoisseur
well, my point was that getting a vehicle to look a certain way can really make it hard to lighten it up... like if you want a race car to look like an every day passenger sedan, it might end up being awkwardly heavy... it's a tricky science trying to get a vehicle that's not only light enough for racing, but powerful and safe enough for it as well.

And my point was also that there are vehicles built for racing, and ferrari isn't one of them. In fact, most vehicles you buy aren't. Ferrari is mostly for the people who have money to burn, and want to show others just how much money they can burn. It's like someone (a ferrari owner) said once... "Sure, I may be beaten by cheap cars people put a little money into, but in the end, it doesn't matter if you're ahead of me... I still have the Ferrari"

With attitudes like that buying their car, no wonder they don't emphasize any more agility than they do. That being said though, they still want to pack a fairly enjoyable vehicle to drive, so people don't feel like they just wasted $270,000

900hp whattttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Multimediaman is wrong if thats true because surely 900hp will easily beat any cheap suped up car esp if its a ferrari