Ferrari F50

Discussion in 'WIP Critique: Advanced Video Game & Real-Time' started by Rob J., Jan 26, 2009.

1. Rob J.

Rob J. Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What you see was modeled in 2 days using Zmodeler 1.07b. These images are renders (i'm posting renders for my first time) made in Deep Exploration 5, so excuse the 'not-so-stunning' quality + i'm just a beginner at rendering...

Comments are appreciated, as they always been a fuel for my motivation;)

2. scw

scw Member

IT
    I must say, nice work there, but you should get rid of z-modeler and get your self more serious application.
    You have potential, but you also must have the tool to express it.

3. NightEye

NightEye VIP

ZM is a good application for lowpoly modeling. No need to spend big money on high-end programmes.
    I admit workflow in LightWave for example is much better for me than the workflow in ZM (I would never go back to ZM again), but it's not a bad programme at all.

Looking good. You might want to add another edge to that intake in the middle of the bumper, since the quality lacks compared to the rest. Keep it up :)

4. salim

salim Administrator

Senior 3D artist
    verry nice work brother i do really love your work in zmod ;)

5. Rob J.

Rob J. Member

That would suck if i didn't have ''potential'' after 5 years of modeling, lol.

@NightEye
    Right. Plus when you are modeling in Zmod1 you need to have a lot more skills than modeling in advanced/pro programs, since you have to model everything by hand, even the chamfers.

@salim
    Thanks, your models are not ''bad'' too:)

6. Rob J.

Rob J. Member

UPDATE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The side you see took me two days (just the manual chamfering took 4 hours, becuase Zmod1 doesn't have a chamfer tool). The progress is slow but speedmodeling was never my taste. Today (it's ~0:45 over here) i could model the roof (i'm modeling hard top first, roadster later) and start on the back of the car.
    As always, comments appreciated...:)
    P.S. Here's a render using same materials' properties, but using different diffuse and specular color for paint. It's just for those who don't like that Seashell paint :p
    [​IMG]

7. pimpshitty

pimpshitty New Member

Senior 3D Artist
    Its looking pretty nice so far, man. The bevels dont seem to be tight enough or deep enough, but you are on the right track. This is one hard car to do as a low-poly(ish) car!

8. Rob J.

Rob J. Member

UPDATE - 5th February '09

Thank you, though i'm not too much sure what you mean. Can you show me on a pic?:)

------------------------------------
    Modeled the hard top, windshield and rubber surrounding glass both in front and back (the rubber is fully 3D, it just isn't seen on the pics :()

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. 4yBaK

4yBaK Member

is ****
    looking good man :)

10. Rob J.

Rob J. Member

For some reason (well, the reason is Zmodeler) i can't import properly my newly modeled wheels into DE without losing materials OR f*cking up normals. So NO MORE RENDERS :( Well, until i'll find a way around.
    Oh well, here are some pics of current progress (Zmod shots):
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    front wheel:
    [​IMG]
    rear wheel:
    [​IMG]
    -14.700 polygons for whole body
    -4.250 polgons per wheel (17000 in total)

11. Silent1Unknown

Silent1Unknown Member

Student
    You even modeled the horse??? You sir, are a freak. :D

Though, I'd like to see the a closeup shot of the horse's wireframes. :p .........and the car ofcourse.

I'm also a ZM user. I wanna learn to model like you and Salim. ;) Any tips?

12. Rob J.

Rob J. Member

Thank you:)

I can show you my wires only through MSN, i don't post them on forums because of something that happened in the past... And we can talk there about modeling in Zmod as well. My MSN is bobby85(at)windowslive.com

-----------------------------------
    I figured out the Zmod/DE problem. Took me few hours, but here's the result:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also changed few materials, but i doubt you'll notice...:x

13. Rob J.

Rob J. Member

Finished the spoiler, put horse logo on the front and 'Ferrari' lettering on back + changed rim reflection map, now it doesn't do weird colored reflections:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for double post, but i do it to bump this topic, because there's an update.

14. rickyss

rickyss Member

why would you spend so many polygons on modeling the horse on the wheels when you are constraint by polycount

15. Rob J.

Rob J. Member

I don't have to hold myself all that much when modeling this model. Right now it's planned for NFS Most Wanted, World Racing 2 and Midtown Madness 2.
    NFSMW has unlimited count of polys (as much as your graphics card can handle), WR2 is 65k polys per object (so each wheel can have up to 65k) and MM2 is limited to ~60k vertices...

16. Catlin

Catlin VIP

There is quite a few innacuracies with the front like the front lip sectiong and the nose of the car where the horse is.

17. scw

scw Member

IT
    I just have to reply to some replys ;)

NightEye
    I didn't say z-mod isn't a good 3d application. I also worked in zmod, and all I can say, for a lowpoly begginer application it's a satisfactory. It's a 3d software made for game models and that's how they look in it.
    Btw, there is no need for paying big money to make good quality 3d modells, you have some excellent software and imagine, it's free.

RobJ
    I never said your work is bad, personally I like it very much, and I'm very glad to see more ferraries, especially good ones like yours. I just think your modell would look so much better in other program with more fatures.
    I disagree that it's heavier to do zmod then other programs just because of chamfers. Doing chamfers on lowpoly model is so much easier because you know how your model will react to your chamfers even before you add them. You just can't tell you have more skills by doing some lowpoly chamfers . After 5 years of modelling you should know that.

18. Silent1Unknown

Silent1Unknown Member

Student
    Dude! This is the video-game wip forum. You cant talk about better software here (though I'm very curious whats "good" and free). You have your favourites and he has his own. Maybe the cross-over to higher-end software wont be so good for him. Its a lot to adjust to when you're used to something else and for so long. Just appreciate the great amount of talent that is displayed with the lowest amount of resources.

BTW, is Deep Exploration or any other renderers free? I do admit the no-render option in ZM is a bit ........unfortunate.

19. salim

salim Administrator

Senior 3D artist
    verry nice work brother

@..... : well if some one don't like this work or want to complain ... well he should let us see what he can do !!

and btw this topic and this forum too is for GAme modeling so no need to talk about 3DS max or any other advanced programe , modeling is more than Renders

one note : don't call zmod modeler bigginers because they got alot of skills than any modeler using advanced programes. low poly modeling need alot of skills and expirience .
    personnaly i like to see Zmod works.

keep doing the great work brother ;)

Best Regards
    Salim Ljabli

20. scw

scw Member

IT
    My bad, :(, I didn't even noticed this is video game WIP, why the hell didn't you all warn me before.
    Sorry NighEye, sorry RobJ

Btw, I'm not usually like this, ready for fight and all, I guess I had a bad day yesterday. once agagin, I apologize. To everyone.

PS
    I did some lowpoly cars in my time, they were made for a few games and I know you need skills for lowpoly too
    I work in Blender3D and it is free and may I say very very good. For both, lowpoly and highpoly...