Everything solved?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Kangal, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    @ EquiNOX
    Nice post, i agree on all the line.
    I like above all the part about the effort , time , sweat and blood to reach a nice modeling level. It's easier to take a model done by someone else (like i did in the past...Mercedes CLS...lol) rather than to get crazy with polyflow, surface continuity, accuracy and so on. I know in first person what it means, when i came here for the first time i completely ignored CG (apart to create primitives in Sketch Up) but i've passed days, weeks, months and years to study trying to reach a decent level and maybe something more.
    People generally think it's too much complicated and it requires lot of time, dedication, humility and talent, but when u see something u've created and it's good and people says it's a nice work, there's nothing better for us who are ''modeling addict'' !
    No matter if we are a dying breed, maybe it's even better, the less people is able to do a thing, the more value it acquires.

2. Falango

Falango Active Member

3D Artist
    I'll have to disagree. Social Media (like Facebook) are not a replacement for forums. Forums provide you with several tools that Facebook wouldn't be able to do, like searching for certain posts based on content or author, and the resolution of attachments is limited, where here, it is quite sufficient. Social media can't hold a library of blueprints or textures like this forum can.

I do agree with you when you say the forum isn't as busy as it used to be, and I think the attacks and sense of insecurity are main contributors. I'm seeing less activity from moderators, and admin, which includes the absence of contests etc. I applaud those that keep this community alive, but it does seem to be a quieter place than it used to be.

3. Prykie

Prykie Well-Known Member

3D Artist
    I have to say, I havent been on since the attack as Im still getting AVG warnings of a bad html script on the site. I'm probably not the only one either.

4. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Look, after almost 1 month of staying here my PC is absolutely clean, and my Norton Internet Security doesn't give me any warning. Mozilla does the same. Google too. If the PC had to be infected, it would be already infected by now. I 'm quite sure the site is clean guys.

5. Oscar J

Oscar J Well-Known Member

AVG warns me too, when I boot my computer in Windows instead of Mac. So there's still something going on here, and I'm not sure why we aren't getting updated by the admins.

6. exidge

exidge Administrator

Hi,

we scanned and cleaned the root directory. It doesn't show anything left on the server. I tried on different places and nowhere it is giving me a message. Maybe it's on users PC ? I recommend to check your end,too.

I think the whole moderation team is on summer holidays.^^ Besides that, I think if you guys want some more activity, you can organize something yourself and we will try to support you.

Edit: Try to clean your temp internet files, cookies, etc. maybe it can help!

Cheers,
    exidge

7. EquiNOX

EquiNOX Active Member

Freelance
    Hi Exidge, Long time no hear.... Kangal? Wanna start with organizing activities?

8. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    @ EquiNOX
    Hi my friend.
    I think it would be better maybe to wait the end of the summer holidays. Yes, it's true that people could have more free time, but is also true they'll not spend so much time in front of a screen like they to during the whole year , giving rightly their preference to nature, sports, unbearable dancing and so on.
    Unless u live in Italy of course, a country where, because of the crisis, nobody will do holidays til the Sun will stop to shine...

9. exidge

exidge Administrator

Hi EquiNox. :)
    We might update the forum software , but this style/look will go with it. The new software should be more secure than this. There are few .js scripts throwing a warning message as I tested today. I hope we ged rid of this.

Cheers

10. smootheagle

smootheagle Administrator

We are still working on a major upgrade for smcars. There are still a few issues from the hack we are working on. Life will come back as things improve.

11. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Maybe we'll have the homepage again?

12. beacon1

beacon1 Active Member

freelance GA
    Nice, i guess its the reason why the gallery is not updating anymore. Looking forward to it.

13. OldDog

OldDog Active Member

Mostly life, Girlfriend and friends on the first p
    how are things ?
    edit:( my NOD32 is going crazy when i start loading the forum :/ )

14. smootheagle

After much research and effort, it is clear that VBulletin forum software is a no longer a viable option for us. VBulletin lost its core programmers about three year ago. Since then it has been downhill for them. The developers went out and started their own company called XenForo. Then a long and dirty legal battle took place between the two companies, and a settlement was just reached a few months ago. This really hurt XenForo as they had to stop all development until the case was resolved.

Having spent money purchasing VBulletin 5.0 and testing it out over the past few weeks, it is not an option. I must have wasted at least ten days on it. It has so many bugs and is extremely slow, about 20X slower then the current vBulletin we have. With the type of traffic we get, about half a million hits a day, there is no way even a dedicated server as our can handle it.

We have to upgrade as the last hack really hurt us. All malware and virus scans come up clean when we run them on the server. Too many files have been compromised, and upgrading it to 4.2.1 was just not working.

So, as many of the bigger forum have done, we will also have to move to XenForo. It is the best option at the moment. Most of the migration is done and the skin is almost finished. The redirects are taken care of as well.

We will be shutting down the forum this weekend. We should be back up by Sunday night. Please be patient with us, as big forum migrations are never easy or fast.

Kangal likes this.
  15. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Thanks for keping us updated.
    So, the site will be down from Saturday to Saturday, right?

16. smootheagle

yes, we will be taking the site down early Saturday morning.

17. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    The site is online now, the layout is very different but i like it so far. Let's hope to have a nice homepage again.
    Good job guys so far ;)

18. Gilani

Gilani Administrator

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated.
    We should have a homepage working by the end of this week!

19. Oscar J

Oscar J Well-Known Member

Whoa, I hope this layout is only temporary?

20. Gilani

Gilani Administrator

yes, this layout is temporary. We had to migrate, without delay, because of the malware and viruses on the old forum. You will see a lot of changes in the month or so.

Oscar J likes this.