Drunk Homer

Discussion in 'WIP Critique: Miscellaneous' started by Kangal, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    This is my new WIP. In the attachments there's the image i'm taking inspiration from and what i've modeled so far.
    Feel free to comment and critique guys :) It doesn't mean to be a copy of the image anyway. The software is my beloved Rhino of course.
    I know just a very few people's amount will follow this,maybe none 'cause we are in an automotive site but don't worry i'll update it regularly, i hate not finished projects.

EDIT: I've moved it from the Fury's thread.

Attached Files:

2. Falango

Falango Active Member

3D Artist
    I think the mouth area needs some work. His mouth and beard are quite round, where yours pulls out too far in the top corners. The shape of the eyes need to be rounder as well. Even though he's looking up, the shape of the eyes don't change, just the lids moving over them. You might want to look up the episode where The Simpsons were done in 3D. It's hard to build a 3D model from cartoon 2D pictures that have been drawn to look good in a flat environment. It's hard to build shape from that. If you look at the 3D reference, you'll get a better idea of shape, especially for his lips, nose, and forehead.

Kangal likes this.
  3. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Hello
    Thank u for your feedback, u're precise and useful as always. I think the same about your remarks. So, outer corners of the mouth and eye's bulb. I'll see what i can do :)
    Anyway, damn, it's not simple at all, especially using a hard surfacing tool as Rhino.

4. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    I think it's fixed, anyway i'll not change it anymore since i like the result. I hope u too.
    With and without tongue.

Attached Files:

5. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Update and wires.
    I love doing this new project. I frankly don't care to receive ''likes'' , compliments and attention, i know this is an automotive site, but thanks God there's this little Miscellaneous forum to change subject sometimes, so i'm using it like i was in the main forums, trying to do a good job in this new field (for me at least). I'm quite satisfied of the result so far :)
    Thanks for watching anyway.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

6. Falango

Falango Active Member

3D Artist
    It's always good to branch out and do some other stuff! I'll post up some other stuff I've done soon. Working on one project that's winding down soon. I'll be building some environments to go along with the current car I'm modeling too.

7. Prykie

Prykie Well-Known Member

3D Artist
    Looks like a pretty cool start Kangal, cant wait to see him finished!

8. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    @ Falango
    Yep, can't wait to see something by u, i'm quite sure it will be great stuff.

@ Prykie
    Thank u so much mate :) U'll see it finished , don't worry, usually i finish my projects u know (apart from the GT-R and the RS6...lol)

9. Prykie

Prykie Well-Known Member

3D Artist
    Lol just like I'll finish my EH....one day :D

10. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Some updates more :)

Attached Files:

11. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Before SMC closes for maintenance , here are some updates, wires, clays and shades. No renders still.
    I hope u like as much as i'm enjoying to do this.
    The Duff's can is obviously opened.
    Rhino is so suitable for hard surfacing and so little for organic modeling!

Attached Files:

12. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Hi all.
    This is just a test render to give me and u an overall idea of the scene.
    Please read it:
    1) I've not adjusted lights and shadows yet.
    2) Many details will be added such as food and crushed cans above all.
    3) The slip's material is obviously provvisory
    4) The nipples too
    5) I don't seek for excuses, but as i've said, this is my first attempt to switch from automotive toward something's more interesting. My first attempt to do complex textures too.

So, please, don't u ''shot on the piano player'' and be patient with me. Why am i so worried by the others' judgment? Because this is visual ''art'' (mine probabilly isn't art at the moment) and what the observer thinks is everything for the auctor.
    Besides, instead of to learn a new more suitable software for characters (stylized or realistic doesn't matter) i've decided to put Rhino to its limits, so my next works into the organic modeling field will be realized inside Rhino again, we'll see what happens.

Thank u for reading, watching and following (if anyone)

[​IMG]

13. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    I'm a bit proud of it mainly due to 2 reasons, it's my first attempt to organic modeling and it's being pretty appreciated on CG Talk. Besides it lacks still lot of things , lights etc. so i'm satisfied of the work so far :)
    But it's not enough, i'd like to show it's possible to model realistic human or animal characters with NURBS which if have some clear disadvantages by some sides compared to Z Brush, Mudbox or Maya, they have some advantages in other aspects. So i have to profit of the advantages only.

14. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Uhmm, so no feedback? Nothing?

15. Prykie

Prykie Well-Known Member

3D Artist
    Hey Kangal, the image doesnt look too bad. It looks to me like Homer is too small, compared to the bottles and cans though

16. davecox

davecox Member

CGI Artist
    Haha!

This couldn't be more different! I like it man...keep going.

17. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    @ Prykie
    Well i've passed lot of time modeling the environment, cans and bottles checking when Homer handle them and i'm quite sure the proportions are right.

@
    davecox
    Thank u man, really appreciated.
    Please don't u forget this is a WIP , i'm re-modeling the fingers and adding stuff on the floor. Then i'll get rid of the slip and lights to do the final renders.

18. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Final product, adjustements on the fingers, shades, lights and details added.
    EDIT: I've uploaded this image using the Photobucket link since the attachment system told me the file was too large (1,54 MB)

[​IMG]

19. Falango

Falango Active Member

3D Artist
    I think all of the placement is too perfect. There is not much variation in the placement of the cans and bottles. There are no stray bottles or cans that have rolled away. The fries are perfectly placed in the box, like a McDonalds ad, and the cake still being intact around Homer, probably not, lol.

The shading looks good on the cans, and the bottles are almost there. I think the bottles need a bit more on the reflections, and a whiter hot spot too. I would have liked to see some crushed cans added, especially right around Homer. Everything looks strategically placed around him after he had fallen there.

Personally, I agree with Prykie on the scale.

Good on ya for branching out and trying something else! It's tough to build up the courage to try it without feeling like you're going to fail from the get go. You did great and kept at it! You chose a tough subject, in terms of bringing a 2D character into 3D space.

EDIT: Wasn't implying that you were expecting to fail :p

Kangal likes this.
  20. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    @ Falango
    Thank u for the nice and useful words mate.
    I agree with u at the most, but for the scale and the cake...he eated all the rest...lol
    I also think i had to put some crushed can here and there, but, as i've said , it's my first try to texturing and compositing something, never did it with cars even. I think i've understood the basis of texturing, i've learnt how to create bump map from scratch, i've learnt how to create an alpha channel from an image and other important things, so i think this little project has been a success for myself, who helped me alot to improve my skills.

My next projects willn't be cars again, i'd like to model
    1) a walking ''cyber/robot cheetah'', inspired by some concepts by Boston Dynamics and MIT, maybe giving it some Blade Runner mood scene. It's a fashinating and difficult project, and i'm going to model the whole environment too.
    2) A man touching a monolith on some outer Milky Way planet inspired by 2001 Space Odissey (Ok, in the movie it was on the Moon...) using E-ON Vue for the terrain, Rhino as CAD and Keyshot 4.