Cyber Cheetah

Discussion in 'WIP Critique: Miscellaneous' started by Kangal, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Falango

Falango Active Member

3D Artist
    The map is gonna work well, but think about where the rust and scratches will most likely be on moving pieces. Right now, it's too even across the entire surface. The scratches are also too straight, too perfect, and probably a bit too deep. Also, when you finish your scratch bump, use the same map in your spec, so you get shiny spec hits where the scratches have cut through the surface. ;)

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/g...chain-vertical-blur-background-copy-space.jpg

Even though it's a bad resolution image, you can see here where the rust sows up more often. Also check out the angled swirling scratches and marks, that follow the way the piece moves. Reference like this will work out real good!

2. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    @Falango Hi. This time i'm not following u. I mean, the scrathes and rust could be everywhere, it's a random thing and it depends by lots of factors u can't measure. Also, speaking about scratches, the map is the same for bump and spec , and the leg has no contact with anything since the circled green part is detached.
    Anyway, i thank u as always for the feedback and suggestions. And, don't u forget this is a test only ;)

3. Falango

Falango Active Member

3D Artist
    Well the leg has to connect to something in order to move. Dirt and grime will usually collect where parts are very close together, and where parts touch. Scratches and rust could be anywhere, but you have to think of where they are more likely to be. You won't find rock chips or rust inside of the turbo, because it's not exposed, so you won't put them there. Rust mainly comes in two forms as well. The rust you are showing in your map is what will usually corrode from the inside out, which makes holes and weakens the metal, like the first 2 images I've attached. Surface rust is more uniform and covers a surface more evenly, like the last image. Even that rust shows up more in corners and crevices, and not so much on flat areas.

Check out the attached images, and see where the rust collects, and how weathering (water dripping, air and harmful sunlight) affects it.

I understand it's just a test, I'm just trying to help keep you on the right path!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kangal likes this.
  4. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    @ Falango
    Oh, u're doing great with your tips and suggestions mate, u're the texturing expert, not me, this is a new field for me, i'm learning right now and believe me i'm making treasure of the most of your suggestions. So, please, keep on teaching me since u're a gold mine :) Thank u !
    Just a thing: This is not so simple to texture, so i'm doing the best i can, so many new things to learn, hopefully to achieve something's decent .
    Anyway i just need to finish the pure modeling part, then i'll pass to the environment's modeling. Once finished, i'll dedicate all myself to the texturing part, and i'll need your help again m8. Thanks for your time and patience.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  5. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    The movement trasmission system for the rear legs is finished. As i've said, it doesn't mean to be functional and engineered, but a minimum should there be. So, if u ask why the bars have the same position although the legs are disaligned, it's because during the walking the system uses an internal gear system (invisible...lol) with 2 little differential gear on the bars ( where u see curvy bubble shapes) while during the running the legs work parallely so the bars stay parallel too, receiving the movement from the big centarl gear.
    Please don't u take it as technical because it's not technical at all, it's sci-fi only with a minimum (very minimum) of technical approach and credibility.
    Anyway...uffff...i'm bored to do this...maybe i'll start a new car...McLaren GTR long tail...?

Thanks for watching [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Jomar Machado likes this.
  6. Nairs

Nairs New Member

Student
    Nice..kangal i think u should cover some parts with metal sheet..:)Keep going

7. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Hi
    Yes, i should, u're right, but all that work to be covered...
    Anyway i'm on a break now, i still don't know if i'll keep on this since i'm starting to be bored by this project.

8. Falango

Falango Active Member

3D Artist
    Looking great! Don't stop now!
    No texturing expert here, just been learning more off of texture artists at work, haha. I'll be putting my texturing skills to work with some projects I have coming up though. :D

9. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    @ Falango
    Hi mate. Nah, i'm on a break only, i'll not abort it. Just i need something else right now, that's why i'm modeling a Ferrari 250 GTO (1963). Maybe i'll open a WIP thread :)
    Thanks for the support anyway, really appreciated .

10. Falango

Falango Active Member

3D Artist
    I hear ya. Always need breaks from projects. I've struggled to finish a project at home since I graduated, and that was over 3 years ago. I need to get an update on my BMW, but I've barely touched it the last few weeks. 80 hour work week last week didn't leave much time for modeling :(

11. yasickkk

yasickkk Active Member

Amazing work mate, you just never stop do you? Always modelling something.

12. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    @yasickkk
    Yeah, i just can't get enough modeling, i love it. I want to finish the Ferrari, then i'll back on it :)

13. yasickkk

yasickkk Active Member

You have an amazing drive mate, keep going. :) Wish i had the same, everytime i look at 3dsmax i just know im going to run into 1,000 problems that will take weeks to fix. :( So demotivating. But seeing people like you gives me hope :)

14. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Well mate, u have extraordinary skills, i've seen your works, i don't think so u have to face so many problems during your modeling. The secret i think is to never being discouraged whatever thing happens, go straight for your road, noises, rumors, every distractions will never be more important than the model we're doing. I've had so many problems at the beginning, i've thought several times to leave, but after some days i've understood i just can't stay far from modeling. Besides u have great technique and skills, u're among the ones who will do stunning things (u already did anyway).

Cheers

15. Oscar J

Oscar J Well-Known Member

I have a very urgent need to see some Nissan stuff yasick, don't you let me down! :)

Kangal likes this.
  16. Falango

Falango Active Member

3D Artist
    Even the best of us run into problems with our models. If you're not solving problems and challenging new hurdles, you're not pushing yourself hard enough.

17. dG'Cyanide

dG'Cyanide Member

Modeler
    Very amazing and unique model! You make this look easy to make haha. Great job, looking forward to more updates.

18. helicase

helicase Well-Known Member

awesome! U should 3D metal print that or something, that would be cool to have as a sculpture

19. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Finally i found the time to finish the geometry. Now i guess i should texturize it....lol

Cheetah  1.png Cheetah  2.png Cheetah  3.png Cheetah  4.png

Tshikhudo likes this.
  20. Tshikhudo

Tshikhudo Active Member

Great work mate love what you did with the eyes