Don't worry Nox, miscellaneous projects like this have never been very popular on SMC, and it's quite obvious being it a car dedicated site, so no prob
Anyway, the turbocharger is exagerately big, i know, but i wanted it such to better give the feeling of power.
Progresses on the cinematic system.
I also did the intercooler and i've linked every tubes. i'll post some overall screenshots once i've linked the legs to the cinematic system, so be patient guys.
As i've said, it's not engineered clearly, but i'm quite sure looking it inside the whole cheetah could give the impression of something working looking at it in a overview way.
Here some gears, chains and belt.
This is an interesting feature of Rhino i think, the heightfield from image tool. Basically u need a displacement image with a scale of grey, then Rhino read the different brightness (from white to black) to give it depth. U can adjust the height and stuff and use it as texture too. I think it's interesting and i'm gonna use it as terrain for the cheetah. Not this one, but i've learned what it can do at least. This terrain i did is just an example, i need to find something else, more suitable for my cheetah anyway.
Ok guys, this is what i have so far. I absolutely need to anchor the gears to the spine, and, even if it willn't be good looking i just need to do it to avoid some floating impression. As u can see every tube has been linked to the proper path, the intercooler ones too (in and out). Now i have to link the legs to the cinematic system, and it will be a pain.
The Panhead engine has no radiator 'cause it's air cooled of course. The intercooler is for the turbocharger...
Then i'll pass to the neck and the head.
U have no idea the pain i have had modeling the tubes getting rid they to do not touch or merge any mechanical organs or the ribs!
Anyway i hope u like it so far. OK, ok, as i've said this isn't the most suitable place to post it, but SMC is ''my'' site and i'll always post here my works, cars or not cars.
Thanks for watching
P.S i don't want either to see how many polys this thing has to do not get a heart attack...lol
Little OT. A funny experiment with displacement map...Angelina Jolie, from terrain to her face...please look at the attachments in sequence. I always like to experiment, sometimes i fail like with the Mclaren P1's cuts, sometimes i get success, but i try anyway to find something's useful for my projects. This time i'll use displacement maps to create the walls of the palaces of the environment, and the ground.
For your terrain, I'm sure you can find topographical images of certain parts of the world, that have been converted to a displacement height map. Try to stick to 32 bit though, because 8 bit will start to step. 8 bit images don't have enough range to be smooth. Going from 0,0,0 on the RGB scale, to 1,1,1 will give you a sharp dropoff. If you can only find an 8 bit, you could convert it to 32 bit and blur it.
Thanks. The cheetah anyway will move on the tarmac, it has been just an experiment, so i think a bump map for the tarmac could be enough. Thank u for the tips anyway.
Anyway i have Crazy Bump who can convert every image in displacement map.
It can estimate, but it's not always the best result. If you are looking for a bump or displacement for tarmac, I'd try taking a color map into CrazyBump, and creating an occlusion from that. It should get all the cracks between the pebbles and make those black. You might have to take your result into Photoshop and crank the levels, but it should get you real close. Then just add cracks as well, and transfer those to an occlusion map as well.
Here's a test for the leg's texturing. Don't u look at the green part. Every legs will probabilly have a different texture to give the impression of a post assembled thing. I like to do it so rusty and aged.