CryENGINE 3 Free SDK

TwoOneOne

Administrator
As Crytek just recently announced, anyone can now download a full version of their Game Development Engine, for free and use it without charge for non-commercial game development and educational purposes.

“With the release of our SDK we encourage creators to try out CryENGINE 3 and hope it will lead to new companies being formed and using our engine. More importantly we expect to increase the talent pool for CryENGINE developers, as well as boosting our online community of users. This SDK contains more toys than we’ve ever released before – it empowers people to create whole new games from scratch, not just mod Crytek’s own games, so we encourage all aspiring and indie developers to try it out.” said Carl Jones, Director of Global Business Development CryENGINE.
4fce351c57872cdc71099b9ee48dea04.jpg 94d2a2ec6c0d15c2b8568c47e6f6ea07.jpg f02b2175fb94d0b490a0ba25248f2cd5.jpg 0e139943e8713b899816ddccb84f4167.jpg 9fc78eb6f788a9094574d51118917599.jpg 90dd8d1a272ae592e5d4bb1a586d9ab5.jpg

Links:
Announcement: CRYTEK RELEASES CRYENGINE®3 SDK FREE-OF-CHARGE | Crytek
Download: Crydev.net • Official Downloads •

Ah I've been waiting for this, now gives me a reason finally to buy Crysis 2. Would be also interesting to test my stuff in Cryengine3 :)

OldDog

Yes I bought Crysis 2 as soon as it got out, was disappointed when i didn't have the engine sandbox to play whit :D this is great

The programming language is hard. Compared to any other. Most need a few lines of code to do something. This needs 50+ to do one simple thing. the graphics are great, but it isn't all of what you think. You also NEED 3ds max or Maya to use it. *.Cry file format is needed. ;)

tom120934

Administrator
Which language is it ? A standard one or their own stuff ?

Is the .cry format documented ? If so, you'll probably see plugins for open 3D software shows up here and there.

Ah finally, now I can convert my scene and finish all the stuff Ive had to wait for. Lets hope their tools arent as buggy as before...

It also means tons of new work for me now.o_O

tom120934

Administrator
C++ isn't so hard, it just requires some serious attention. Once upon it was my job and I was a C++ expert. Dealing with distributed computing and shared memory on SMP systems was so fuuuuun :)

About the exporter, what I meant wasn't "is it available for many software" but "is the file format documented". That is, is there an exhaustive documentation about the file format (.pdf, .odt, .doc, .html whatever) to explain how to read a .cry file and how to write it. Once you have that doc, one can code a new exporter.

schaefft, I'm looking forward to see your job with it. Actually, your WIP here is my motivation to test that kind of engine :)

TwoOneOne

Administrator
I use this great news to warmly welcome TwoOneOne among the team. Thanks for your commitment and enjoy your work !
thanks.

i´m really looking forward seeing all your works.
If i have some time on my hand i might give it a try myself and use it for some realtime visualisation.

cheers