Cord L29 (side)

Discussion in 'Cord' started by ssexton, Aug 20, 2006.

1. ssexton

ssexton VIP

Cord L29 Boattail Speedster (1931) (side)

Only a side unfortunately. L29 drawings are hard to come by. Sorry about the tight binding.

Attached Files:

2. ssexton

ssexton VIP

Cord L29 Elysee (Weyman Coachwork)

*>)

Attached Files:

3. nb

nb VIP

Here's a sideview without perspective. It's originating from a Chekoslovakian book from Soviet era. They've made a nice compilation of all sorts of images that were "borrowed" from other publications. Some of them were from "Sports cars" by Cyril Posthumus, but I have no idea where this Cord L-29 is coming from. Many of the images in the book are high quality and in color. This one unfortunately is not.

The radiator shell is descibed in two patents:
    C.W. Van Ranst: Des 82,462 Nov. 4, 1930
    E.G. Purdy: 1,984,546, Dec. 18, 1934

There are at least three more patents on the design of Cord L29, unfortunately they are just drawings made from photographs:
    A.H. Leamy: Des 82,269, Oct. 14, 1930
    A.H. Leamy: Des 82,428, Nov. 4, 1930
    A.H. Leamy: Des 82,437, Nov. 4, 1930

Attached Files:

4. nb

nb VIP

In fact the shape of the car is very simple and the radiator, side view and dimensions would be enough to model it. It is quite similar to a Duesenberg from the top, and is rather box-like.

Also, the original blueprint for this car is available from the ACD museum in Auburn for quite a modest price.
    See the information below:

http://www.acdmuseum.org/html/archive_store.html

Blueprint Drawings (reproduction)

Dimensional design renderings of auto bodies. Produced by the Auburn Automobile Co. & Duesenberg Co. engineering departments. 36 inches wide by 24 inches high.

1928 Auburn - Phaeton, Brougham & Speedster
    1929 Cord L-29 Sedan
    1929 Duesenberg Model J Chassis
    Duesenberg Model J Engine - Left side
    1935 Auburn Boattail Speedster - Dr. by Buehrig
    1936 Cord 810 Phaeton, Sedan & Carbiolet
    1931 Auburn 8-98 Brougham

$8.00 each

shipping extra

5. kosso_olli

kosso_olli Member

3D Artitst in the automotive business
    So, what would you say, if we (nb,ettore, ssexton, me and some others) spend like 2 dollars each and buy some of the prints. Than they can send it to a person living in America (Ettore or ssexton I think). And than we can scan them and post them a smcars.net, if it is possible.

6. nb

nb VIP

I have some of the Auburns, I'll post them here, because they are already on the net anyway.

Yes, it's a good idea to buy the blueprints, but I don't know what actions the museum would undertake if their blueprints appear here.

7. kosso_olli

kosso_olli Member

Maybe we can ask them, if we are allowed to post them here. Otherwise we can send the prints via email, and all participating persons swear not to post them anywhere.

8. ssexton

ssexton VIP

Cord L29 Convertible Roadster (another side)

Derham coachwork

Attached Files:

9. ettore

ettore VIP

I will order the L29 print and maybe some of you guys may want to redraw it. Ettore

10. kosso_olli

kosso_olli Member

Send them to Nico. I think he will redraw them.
    I am so excited. I am waiting for these prints for ages.

By the way: Have you moved to your new house already?

11. ettore

ettore VIP

Yes, I've moved, working on painting, refinishing wood floor, installing kitchen sink etc., etc. Completely disorganized. Ettore

12. kosso_olli

kosso_olli Member

Well, sounds like a lot of work. Good luck!

13. ettore

ettore VIP

Cord L29 prints on order, I hope they will get here this week. Ettore

14. kosso_olli

kosso_olli Member

Great. These prints are huge aren't they? I have seen some L29's at Pebble Beach ( I wasn't there, but there are lots pf pics on the net) with these beautyful Woodlite-headlamps. Look here for an example:
    http://www.supercars.net/Pics?viewPic=y&source=gal&uID=119513&gID=910&pgID=4&pID=416178&first=true
    I think these headlamps make the car even better.
    Damn, I think i have to go to Pebble Beach one day. How much does it cost? Is it free for everyone or can only rich people go there?

15. ettore

ettore VIP

I think it's $150 now. During the same weekend is the Concours Italiano, 3 days of vintage racing at Laguna Seca and the Blackhawk Museum is close, and many high class auctions. It's astounding the cars you can see. I went in 2000 and had a wonderful time. Haven't been able to go back since then. I've gone to Amelia Island Concours for the last 7 years. It's a 7 hour drive so much easier to get to. It is a much more relaxed show with more cars, therefore not as high a quality but Pebble Beach best of show cars are shown there. Several years ago there a PB best of show Bugatti Atlantic was beaten by a Figoni bodied Voisin, itself a PB best of show, as the Amelia Island best of show. Ettore

16. kosso_olli

kosso_olli Member

I have seen your Amelia Island Pics. They're beautyfull. I remember one picture where I could see your head and your white hair in the reflection of a door:
    http://public.fotki.com/Ettore/amelia_island_conco/amelia_island_2005_296.html

I just thought: "Damn, this guy must be really really old."
    This is a Bugatti, right?
    I think Amelia would be the better choice. Because if there are more cars than at Pebble Beach, there is no reason not to go there. And seems to be cheaper, too.

17. ssexton

ssexton VIP

At least he still has his hair! I've never been to Amelia but I've been to Pebble Beach many times. Like most events of this type, there are up years and down years. From the pics on the net 2006 was definitely an up year for Pebble, I least as far as my interests go. The price this year was $175.00 if you didn't pay in advance. I usually went up for a full week for the Monterey Historics and all the other things going on, but I was lucky enough to have a place to stay with friends.

18. kosso_olli

kosso_olli Member

"At least he still has his hair!"

Do you say that you have already lost your hair? :)
    I think that there have been a lot of really good cars at Pebble Beach this year. The Daimler Double Six is one of my favorites together with the Delahaye 165 by Figoni & Falaschi. But if I had the choice, I would go to Amelia Island because you can see much more cars, as ettore said.

19. ettore

ettore VIP

Actually, going to Pebble Beach would be a better deal, but more expensive, because of all the other activities happening at the same time, as: Concours Italiano, 3 days of historic racing at Laguna Seca, several high-end auctions, and the Blackhawk Museum is close. The Bug is the Dubos bodied T51, a fabulous car with an interesting history. I took many pics for digital or scratchbuilding modelers. I've been prematurely white for 20 years, am suppose to be 61, don't believe it. Ettore

20. kosso_olli

kosso_olli Member

I don't want to be offensive, but you're as old as my grandpa! But I do have respect for old persons with your knowledge and experience. And you know how to use a computer. I couldn't imagine my grandpa using a computer.