Carnifex - original 50s style car / ratrod

zapo

This Carnifex brutally and beautiflul! :eek: Ilike the 50-70's american wheels and this Carnifex concept is absolutely favourite!

I hope You will make some 50's "Mad Max" cars yet. :)

Decided I had better start on the textures. Had a few goes it making it look realistic and this is where im at. Could do with more tweaks but im happy for now with my setup. comments and crit welcome.

carnifex-wip-17.jpg carnifex-wip-18.jpg

WOW, man great to hear from you again, couldn't wait to see more. All those materials are procedural? Damn, I wish I had such skills with procedurals and mental ray. Looks cool, but I think the bonnet material has got bit too reflection/specular. Otherwise, keep going, it's gonna be awesome.

P.S. Your pixelcars made me want to try again, I'm making a base of Falcon XB.

the bonnet isnt all procedural, its high res bump, reflectivity, diffuse maps and combined with a procedural base using a blend material and mask. the black with speckles is the procedural, in theory I will be able to tweak the procedural instance to control the look of the final 'paintwork'.

also I only need to unwrap the basic surface of the panels, annoying details can be handled by procedural layer. Very handy for Max's craphouse UV tools. :p

Hey jayden , two words - Holy Crap! , man how long u been using 3dsmax or what ever 3d model program for? btw can u give me any tips for modeling a car and how u learn't?

Thanks , and I have the apocalyptic version as my wallpaper lol.

:)

Hey jayden , two words - Holy Crap! , man how long u been using 3dsmax or what ever 3d model program for? btw can u give me any tips for modeling a car and how u learn't?

Thanks , and I have the apocalyptic version as my wallpaper lol.

:)
I can give some basic tips:
look at heaps of inspiration, download as much 3ds max tutorials as you can, practice a lot, model from concept drawings etc if the cars original... quit having a real life and be insanely patient. lol. o_O

thanks for the comments. heres another material update hires render for your enjoyment. Ive decided to revise the rust distribution already, it will be better.

I have also done a rough photochop of a new rear end. I think I like the side profile more. I will have to leave it a bit see if I still like it enough to attempt to design it onto the model. any opinions would be good.

still to do:
chains, more interior. lots of texture maps, might try to model some rust flakes. probably buy even more ram :p

carnifex-wip-52.jpg carnifex-side-profile-concept-rough.jpg

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for fins on cars, but since you've shown how she looks without 'em, I'm sorry to say but she suits having sans fins more :grin:

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for fins on cars, but since you've shown how she looks without 'em, I'm sorry to say but she suits having sans fins more :grin:
yeah. I must have left the fins phase of my life and entered the 1950s gangster lead sled phase. Too bad it was in the middle of a project :p. ironically the concept I started modeling had a very curvy understated rear end, still quite different to this new concept though.

already started refining the side at the back: In my head the rear is now looking more menacing, should suit the front more as well.

carnifex-side-profile-concept-rough2.jpg

Wow, it looks cool and without the fins it gets even better, more agressive, faster, madder look. Can't wait for different angles. Oh, btw, your materials are way out of this world. Umm, did i already say this? Sorry, then. They are just plain damn great looking.

She looks a bit like a hard-top convertible with that particular roof now mate... Would be interesting to see a render without the roof and the interior showing ;)

Still, I'm madly in love with the design of this champ. Good job!!

This thing is Epic, I really love how you melded the styles of the 50's, 60's and 70's into one car.

Edit: Ahhh dammit just noticed the last comment was from last year.:uhh:

OldDog

well it is from the last year , and Jayden was here last time 3-4 months ago xD

But still It's a great car and an awesome model !

so... Had a break from it.

I did some big new renders, No longer with that old 4 core CPU and Mental Ray throwing a wobbly at 90% render completion over RAM, now it's Arnold with 8 cores so iterative look dev is a lot easier.

I'm doing some minor work on it for some more renders of alternate versions, but I won't be completely finishing off all the features I was once going to do.

Carnifex_Arnold-07.jpg Carnifex_Arnold-08.jpg Carnifex_Arnold-09.jpg

Must say, I'm impressed this site is still here and the old images are all working. I'm scared that I got my password correct first guess when I can't even remember family birthdays. :p