Car Paint

T-Shine said:
I think it's a material you can load directly into Max, and not a picture file.
T-Shine is correct, is is a Max material

materials are sets of parameters, cannot be stored as bitmaps, you must have confused materials / textures with "maps"

Would it be possible for somebody to slap this on a flat plane and snatch a snapshot that we could use for a bitmap texture? I could definitely use a good car paint texture for ZMod. :?

seriously , i think that no..
it will not look good if you apply it in zmodelr i think
the material look good only because of teh nice reflection and zmodeler doesnt do nice reflection..

can you make this material WOTHOUT brazil? cause i use vray :p its got a pain mat but it doesnt look as good. or tell me how you got that speckled effect and i can do it in vray.

Eat_Some_LSD said:
Would it be possible for somebody to slap this on a flat plane and snatch a snapshot that we could use for a bitmap texture? I could definitely use a good car paint texture for ZMod. :?
ya, i just want it like Eat_Som_LSD said, i dont really car how it looks, anything is better then nothing :wink:

I'm just looking for something with a good metalflake/pearlflake texture to it, anything that looks good as far as bitmap textures go. I've made a few in Photoshop, but they look like gunk. :(

i dont mind if they look bad, i just need some sort of texture that looks like a metalic paint in bitmap, im a n00b who wants a crappy bipmap for z-mod :wink: , what wrong with that? :D

Looks good but the reflections on the above material need some tweaking. Here's a tip I picked up from a tutorial for all those using Max (and you should be able to apply the idea to other programs).

The reflections on a car body change in reflectivity depending on the angle you are to the body (or surface). If you are looking straight on at the body the reflectivity will be less than if you looking at it down the plane of the body. Pic 1 shows this more clearly.

In order to simulate this, you can apply a Falloff map to the reflection channel, change the falloff type to fresnell and you've basically got it.

Now to explain the graph below. The x axis is the reflectivity where black is not reflective and white is highly reflective. The y axis is the angle at which you are to the surface with 0 being straight on and 1 being a very small angle to the surface. As a car body is never totally reflective I move the top left point down so that the paint is never totally reflective.

Any questions feel free to either post 'em or PM me.

On an additional note I am quite new to this so this method can probably be improved upon somewhat.

Attachments