Cadillac Seville HT 4100 Elegance (1982)

Discussion in 'Cadillac' started by multimediaman, Jul 12, 2008.

1. multimediaman

multimediaman Traffic Car Connoisseur

GUI Artist
    it's a pity this thing was parked in a manner that I couldn't get to the front or back :(

The car was in darn near showroom condition from what I could see from the pictures ... I wonder if he'd be willing to sell it to me?:D

*edit*

Go and look below for the front and rear blueprints! :pacman:

Attached Files:

2. schaefft

schaefft VIP

Vehicle Artist at Ubisoft Reflections
    Oh nice one. I started this car for someone more than 1 year ago, using a simple sideview photo. He wanted to finish it. I would like to know how it looks now.

Wierd rear, isnt it?^^

3. multimediaman

GUI Artist
    Oh yeah... me loves odd american car shapes... part of the reason I also like the cars in the same family as the 1974-6 and possibly even 1977, Buick Riviera, the pontiac fiero, and the buick reatta

4. Xavier

Xavier New Member

Don't be tempted. The 4100 V8 was almost as bad as the Oldsmobile Diesel and the V-8-6-4.

These cars were always better to look at than to actually drive.

5. multimediaman

GUI Artist
    are you talking bad as in reliability, or bad as in sluggish? Because sluggish I couldn't care less about... that's actually an appealing part of traffic cars to me :uhh:

And I'm sure with the right replacement parts, it would be somewhat reliable... one would hope

6. Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood VIP Retiree

Virtual Reality 3D Modeler
    Ha... I was actually looking at one of these to buy. Bummer is that Caddy parts are hard to come by over here in Australialand, so I quite happily settled for my Ford 8)

I remember something else though that turned me off this Caddy... Is it FWD?? I can't quite remember.

It looks the shiz though, and I love the back. Yankees take the sweet sweet cake for car design once again ;)

7. Xavier

Xavier New Member

A 1982 Cadillac Seville HT4100 was bad from nearly every standpoint - reliability, build quality, performance, handling, etc. The early HT4100 V8 itself was only slightly less disastrous than the Oldsmobile Diesel. All of Cadillac's iron head/aluminum block V8s (4.1/4.5/4.9) were fundamentally flawed, but the 1982 units were especially bad. At least with the previous year's V8-6-4, you could deactivate the cylinder deactivation, leaving you with a reasonably reliable 6.0 liter V8.

Of course, there was far more wrong with the E-body Seville than just the engines. These cars had spectacularly poor handling, even by the standards of the early 1980s. Most traditional rear-drive, body-on-frame, live-rear-axle American cars will handle reasonably well with decent suspension tuning and tires. The E-bodies are hopeless. The oddball torsion bar/trailing arm independent rear suspension is phenomenally bad in design and geometry. Combine that with the horribly nose heavy weight distribution, and the E-body cars are exceptionally clumsy in handling. The further downsized 1986 models at least offered an improvement in handling, but that isn't much to brag about.

In any case, the 1980 to 1985 Seville is very distinctive, and arguably, even attractive. They even sold reasonably well at the time. Still, they weren't very good cars when they were new and any 26 year old car will have a multitude of problems stemming from age. In reality, Cadillacs from the late 60s were far better cars than the Cadillacs from the early 1980s. If you ever feel the urge to buy a square 1980s Cadillac, avoid all of the front-wheel drive and HT4100 cars and look for a Fleetwood Brougham with an Olds 307 or Chevy 350. If you really want front wheel drive, look for a later Northstar Caddy. Better yet, look at real classics, with real Cadillac engines, or even the first generation Seville that was a Chevy Nova with an Olds 350. Just don't be tempted by a 1982 Seville with the HT4100.

ranger64 likes this.
  8. tiberius

tiberius VIP

Bank Operations
    The cars have available parts where most other makes do not, for example my 78 Mercury Grand Marquis is a tough one to get most parts for, the Caddys have replacement fenders floor pans etc, I have a Olds Diesel Caddy Fleetwood and the car was ok, I did not have the issues that others had with the Olds Engine. just Lucky I guess. I too looked at one of these but the upkeep of the car was a turnoff.

9. multimediaman

GUI Artist
    yay! finally got around to making the front and rear views, which I couldn't take previously when I got the side views! :uhh::D:cyclop:

... can't wait to make this one in 3d

10. Nik

Nik New Member

Train Industry.
    :uhh:

How can you like this one...

11. schaefft

schaefft VIP

Vehicle Artist at Ubisoft Reflections
    I think it looks not bad, its kinda special^^ Thanks for the blueprints, now they are complete.