C&J Contest: 1970 Trabant 601

rb-30s

Well i agree on that part :p but i think the lamp inside is metal and some other parts also but this isn't rust all over there :p seems like graffiti and the plastic has turned yellowish

Edit: Added the hood update, the end there is a bit dented and it has some small dents in the front area also

Attachments

Tol@te

Good choice!
I'm a big or almost huge fan of this car.
My dad had one,my grandpa had two and I had three when I was 13-16.I tried to rebuild them but only got one running.
I got books and old manuals of this car from 1957-80s.I even collected rare parts like engine parts of it.
Man I love this car.Its a legend.

Tol@te were they really made of pressed carton? i know this about a car but im not sure is this one though..
i wonder if it had anything over 15 hp with that small engine...one piston? i have a friend who's dad owned one long time age and, as all german engineering, lasted enough to have the on board mileage roll over about 3 times :d

Well,I wouldn't call it carton.It was made of cotton mixed with phenol-kresol-resin and then put in a 6000 tons press with heater for 10 -20 minutes per part and then it was ready to mount.
The cotton was like 20 cm thik before it came into the press,after the pressing it was 3-6 mm thin and extremly solid.

Pic shows 10 parts made of "Duroplast" used from 1964-I don't know exactly,maybe 1977.

BTW:My Messenger only makes trouble.Won't work.

EDIT: I found a awsome gallery on Flickr

>>>LINK<<<

Well,I wouldn't call it carton.It was made of cotton mixed with phenol-kresol-resin and then put in a 6000 tons press with heater for 10 -20 minutes per part and then it was ready to mount.
The cotton was like 20 cm thik before it came into the press,after the pressing it was 3-6 mm thin and extremly solid.

Pic shows 10 parts made of "Duroplast" used from 1964-I don't know exactly,maybe 1977.

BTW:My Messenger only makes trouble.Won't work.

EDIT: I found a awsome gallery on Flickr

>>>LINK<<<
So it was a cotton-reinforced composite. Quite clever I would say. I was really wondering what you guys meant by "plastic".