BMW E60 M5 (NURBS)

neutron1k

Hi guys,

I'm here with my next project of bmw e60 M5. I love this car and would be great to own one. Because I'm not that rich, I've decided to make a 3d model at least. On the pictures you can see my "modest beginning". It's not going too fast but I have a lot of time :) Right now I have a hard times with the front bumper. Still don't know how the ideal patch layout should looks like. C&C are welcomed of course :)

bmw e60 M5.jpg bmw e60 M5-2.jpg bmw e60 M5-3.jpg bmw e60 M5-4.jpg 6883863528_9ca4336f6b_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I'm not very familiar with NURBS, so for me your start looks perfect :) I think this will be as nice as your A5. Keep it up.

Kangal

Nice and clean start. NURBS are great for surfacing, but not as suitable as polys for intricated forms like for example BMWs M bumpers so you'll have your headaches but at the end you'll sort it ;)

helicase

Good start! I'm glad to see you start a new modeling project, did you ever look into rendering the other project, or no?

neutron1k

of course mate :)

bmw6.jpg bmw7.jpg bmw9.jpg bmw10.jpg

... the basic shape of the bumper is still not finished yet as you can see. I have to figure out how to manage one last part. Meanwhile I still work on existing parts to improve accuracy.

neutron1k

Hi everybody,

here is just a very small update of this beauty and the beast in one :D Finally I managed the rear part and I'm satisfied with the result for now, so I can focus to next part.

bmw11.jpg bmw12.jpg bmw13.jpg bmw14.jpg

neutron1k

another small update here ...

bmw35.jpg bmw32.jpg bmw40.jpg

the basic shape of side skirts is finished but a small adjustments are still needed ... I played also with cuttings just to see how the surfaces look with them.

neutron1k

back to the rear part ...

bmw41.jpg bmw42.jpg bmw43.jpg

now I have to make the trunk, the whole roof and the transition between them ... something is telling me that it would not be a easy job :D

neutron1k

the rim is jagged due to my display settings which I have in rhino ... the work is much faster and easier with this settings, especially when you have a lot of surfaces, and your cpu is slow :D

btw good point!

neutron1k

hi guys,

just a few shots with my actual progress. I had to rework some parts because I was not satisfied with the accuracy. This is a MUST before I'll start with detailing. In the meantime of course I also worked on some new parts :)

bmw80.jpg bmw82.jpg bmw83.jpg bmw85.jpg

Hi, I see you are entering a lot of effort, do you use the diagnostic shaders who tell you is surfaces is accurate
I ask this because I work on Audi A5 Coupe 2017 with alias and I must say that there are lots of places where it appears surface is correct but when turn on for example Iso angle i see a different story.
I am workin in alias I think now 10 years and I must say it is very difficult to get accurate surface ,with accurate reflections single span five degree G2-G3 on primary, secondary surfaces at least
I know you not use alias but Rhino and Shape Modeling Plugin I have experience with it, but I'm using alias it is easier for me to work in it.

Last edited:

neutron1k

Hi guys, thanks for your comments.

@OXYDO: Alias is great choise, has much better tools then Rhino imo, but I don't like that interface. When I started with 3D, I've decided for Rhino just because I found a great tutorial how to model Audi R8 in Rhino, but I still think that Alias is better. But I can't imagine that I would work without that plugins made by Autodesk and work only with Rhino's basic tools.
Back to your question, I use shaders, but not to check accuracy but to check continuity of my surfaces. I'm using only two - zebra and sky texture from Alias, which is my favourite. For accuracy I'm playing more with curves.
As a continuity I work only with G2, G3 is not necessary for my purposes.
Btw I've also worked on Audi but 2012 model. Do you have a WIP thread somewhere or some pictures? I would like to see it if you don't mind.

@BOJA: Thank you for your kind words :) ... but I'm still a beginner. When I see some other guys what they can do, I feel like I about to cry :D
And yes I'm using Rhino with a few Autodesk plugins.