Bmw 4 Series critique wanted

Discussion in 'WIP Critique: 3D Stills' started by 3Dmon, Jan 26, 2017.

1. 3Dmon

3Dmon New Member

Student
    bmw_pier_new_illum_001.jpg Hey guys,
    this is a render I did some time ago in Maya and vray. I struggeled a bit on weird mask edges, which turned it hard to do proper compositing.
    I like it, but for sure there's waaaay room for visual improvements. Not about the model itself, just visualization wise. Lighting, Shading etc.
    So give me your opinion, how to improve the image. Cheers folks ✌

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Mozz likes this.
  2. Mozz

Mozz Member

Business Student
    You're not far off, it's looking great so far. most noticeable things I would say is the wheels need to be lit a bit more. The paint looks great, but the bump is an issue, it's too much in scale and value. It really shouldn't be noticeable at this distance. In terms of composition and I think it's just personal preference, I would rotate the car to be parallel with the floor boards. This way the car isn't mostly in the shadows and might light up the wheels a bit too.
    gg

3. 3Dmon

3Dmon New Member

Student
    hey Mozz, thanks for your reply. Yeah the bump scale is definitely an issue, and I´ll fix that. I also noticed that I find it hard to give the rims and tires the correct appearance. BTW which software do you use for rendering?
    These days I saw some delicious rendering over here, but sadly nobody states which software was used. A nice rendering thread for sharing tips and hints would be sooo cool.

4. Mozz

Mozz Member

Business Student
    Look at how car photographers light up their scenes and try mimic what they do. That helps me quite a bit. I have the same issue, my scenes tend to be a bit dark.
    I use Vray with 3ds Max but I've started to use Maya for university and it would probably be best for me to make it my primary 3d app. I'm still looking for a good renderer though I probably will end up buying Vray for Maya too. I've tried Arnold and Renderman and you can pretty much get the same results once you get familiar with renderer but Vray is just awesome.