BMW 325i

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosalis

small update

another small update ... it's going quite a bit slower than I though it would :-/

what do you think about the topology? .. is it ok or does it seem way to heavy ??

the way I model highpoly is trying to use all quads and 3 edges for a corner / edge .. which is of course resulting to quite a dense meshes .. but I'm not sure if there's another / better way ?

Attachments

nosalis

WIP on the bonnet

hey there guys,

any way to cheat these? make it simple? ... I don't want to be running them all the way down :( .. what would be the approach you would take?

I don't think I have many options though .. especially If I want to have clean mesh and no triangles :-/

I'm sure that some of you must have been doing it before .. what was the trick?

Attachments

naMReg

I can only suggest you what RedStar said in his Top Gear Contest thread :

Oh yeah dude it would move just fine.

Well here is my technique. I tried doing that whole smoothing groups stuff, but I hate how you cannot edit anything without a big hassle.

So I do this. I try to model it as much as possible, For areas that are tough with a certain amount of polies, I would deatach enough and mesh smooth it and be able have enough edges to model with.
Then I attach the detailed area to my previous mesh.

Not sure if it makes sence. But yeah... Its a blend between smoothing groups technique and just modeling poly by poly.
I've been using his method to do my R5 :D

nosalis

so yeah.. I don't have other choice then .. but this method is interesting :)

I was planining on manualy creating the loops and then "move them" to desired shape ... but yeah.. I can pre-smooth it :) thanks for the tip .. I'll give it a go :)

anubis

napisu to cesky todle delaj az uplne na zaver az si budes jistej ze kapota ma spravnej tvar tak na to nahod Turbosmooth 1 nebo 2 interations pak bych to tam dodelal a na to dal posledni Turbosmooth

nosalis

man.. this is annoying :( ... I was spening quite some time on the bonnet..but just can't get it to work nice and smooth :(

thinking if I shouldn't do those vents with alpha :-/
it's annoying how things that look easy might be really hard :(

I smoothed out that inside part of the bonnet and "connect" it to the rest of the mesh .. but it's now doing these weird seams :( ... any chance of having some tool to clean that up? .. Or do I have to rebuilt it?

man.. so disappointing :(

edit: well.. I've decided to fake it a bit .. so what I did was go back to my original smooth bonnet .. and cut a one big hole for the vents.. and then add additional pieces inside.. and tried to blend them as much to the bonnet as possible :)

and I'm happy with the result .. plus the polycount doesn't come out of the roof .. and as you can see on the detail picture.. you can't really spot it .. might show in reflections though .. but i can always create some carbon fiber cap for those vents (I've seen it on lots of cars)

Attachments

nosalis

update

well... some progress.. unfortunately not as much progress as I was hoping for ... guess will have to crank up the gears up a bit to make it on time

did some more tweaking on the bonnet, added the front bumper (fender?) and added a rim :) .. unfortunately I still don't know what brand are those, so it will be hard to provide link for them .. but I've seen them on e36 (and also on E46 and Lotus Elise)

this week I will try to finish up the main body, but it will be hard since I work on it maybe 1-2 hr/day during the week, which is not a lot :(

Attachments

nosalis

update

so I've spent some more time on it ... but I'm already starting to worry that I won't be able to make the deadline ... well.. I'll give it my best and see how it goes

especially If I want to do interior .. but will see how it goes .. to finish the body it shouldn't be too bad, .. but yeah, what will take quite some time is the interior side of panels ..

I took some shortcuts here and there (like not modeling holes where you can't see them .. but at the same time I want to keep it as detailed (and accurate) as possible

Attachments

naMReg

I'm not modeling holes that can't be seen either..... at least now :p I'd suggest you to finally submit it, It's just too much work done, remember that you are doing this model for this contest in particular, if not, maybe you'd be doing something else :D

Finish the exterior and when you begin doing the interior, start with the pieces that most likely would be seen from the exterior, such as the interior mirror, the top pieces of the seats, steering wheel, etc.... for the interior doors, maybe, you could create a map with a real picture of the interior (or similar) and paste it :D..hihihiii :p

Still 10 days left, c'mon!!!

nosalis

well i will finish the car non the less .. its just the submission for the contest might not have it done completly.. but yeah.. at least I will try to finish the exterior .. 10 days might sound like a lot, but as I said many times, I usually work 2 hrs a day on it .. plus this weekend I might not be able to work at all :)

but yeah.. will do my best :)

nosalis

wrong rotors

haha.. you're right!

I was using this picture as a reference.. but now I'm realizing that it's dirt and not actual indentations

unfortunately .. I'm out of the competition .. There's no chance to finish the car, .. but as I said, I will continue with it anyway .. so if this forum closes, I will probably just create another one in wip :)

but thanks to all the support!

If I had joing the lowpoly I guess I would finish on time, but then again, this was at least way bigger challenge for me and I'm glad I did it!

Attachments

nosalis

and now the question... since the challenge is over now..
If I want to continue working on the car.. shall I continue in this thread? .. or will some nice admin move it to some other Work-in-progress location? .. I really like to finish this one :) (and I don't want to start new thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.