[AST] 2012 Audi RS5 Sportback Concept

Goldenfrog

TRK, this model is brilliant, but what fascinated me was the taillights, as I'm working on the 2009 A5 sportback, which has similar, if not identical, taillights. Could you please upload more pictures of the taillights? Thanks! :)

Duron

Super Moderator
Great ones mate.

Check the rear tires, they're to small for this huge car. Also the AA on the lights could be better. :)
I really like how accurate your model is. Well done as usual.

Great ones mate.

Check the rear tires, they're to small for this huge car. Also the AA on the lights could be better. :)
I really like how accurate your model is. Well done as usual.
thx man - i can do something for the rear tires for sure ;)
regarding AA for lights, i've seen that, but do you know a special setting for lights ? my AA settings in general are high, but i get this for both white or red illuminated materials...(vray light shader)

Great work, would love to see more tutorials from you, Alias tuts are quite rare, especially from top notch modelers.
if i'm starting a new car after this one (i'm currently thinking of which one), i could be doing some tut (video capture for example...). thx for kind words.

Thx duron, i'll show you this tonite.

he's the overnight render. I Like the angle and focal length... My only regret is that the RS5 emblem doesn't catch much light... will try to correct that...

Aliasing on lights is less visible in this view (i didn't change any param yet...)

Attachments

Duron

Super Moderator
Ok 3 things:

Why the reflection on the door doesn't match properly with the front Fender?
I would smaller the light plane on the side and move a bit down so you get better side reflections especially on the rear Fender :)
The Aliasing problem could also come up with to high intensity. Try to render only with a intensity of 1. If you still have this problem try turning on "sub-pixel mapping" (vray color mapping settings).
If you have "clamp output" turned on, turn it off.

Ralph123

Great render.

Side area is looking good, just check out the reflection that goes from door to fender like Duron already pointed out.

IMHO, the rear part of the car (trunk etc.) is way (!) too dark. It gets no attention at all. But that shouldn't be hard to fix. ;)

Ok 3 things:

Why the reflection on the door doesn't match properly with the front Fender?
I would smaller the light plane on the side and move a bit down so you get better side reflections especially on the rear Fender :)
The Aliasing problem could also come up with to high intensity. Try to render only with a intensity of 1. If you still have this problem try turning on "sub-pixel mapping" (vray color mapping settings).
If you have "clamp output" turned on, turn it off.
Great render.

Side area is looking good, just check out the reflection that goes from door to fender like Duron already pointed out.

IMHO, the rear part of the car (trunk etc.) is way (!) too dark. It gets no attention at all. But that shouldn't be hard to fix. ;)
Thanks guys for comments.

Atually the fender/door connection is the real thing. As you may know RS version have different fenders (larger ones) but front door panel is the same as on stock version.
Audi has been using the shut line to break curvature between the two surfaces and get a nice positive fender.
Thing is, is visible in this kind of view (tangent to the side) and, secondly, most of the beauty shots released in the press kits are photoshoped, and thus this break is not so much visible (even if man see clearly the difference with stock version). Anyway, if you check a real car, or even real photo, you will see this :

example 1 example 2 photoshop beauty shot showing continuity but not curvature.

in some cases (like my render or example 2) you even lose the connection...weird :p

enclosed are alias snapshot of the geometry i have. No disconnection, but not curvature :)

thanks for other advices. Yes clerlay the back is too dark - will work on this, on the light setup for the side
Thanks for the AA settings help. I'll let you know how it turns.

Thanks for your support.

Attachments

Kangal

Hi
Since this (awesome) work is done in NURBS, and i assume Alias works more or less like Rhino, to ''solve'' that discontinuity surfaces issue (if it's an issue ofc) , couldn't u untrim the fender's surfaces and match the single surface with the single door surface simply by tangency?
Anyway, looking at the shots 1, it doesn't seem disconnected at all (or G1 at least), i just don't understand the reason why it seems G0 by the reflecting light of the last render.
In the second shot, it seems a lil bit disconnected in the lower part looking at the reflection,just here where the light on the door is a bit higher than the one on the fender.
Your model is top notch by the way, and i really love the way u work :)

Attachments

it's not a (real) issue for me but i'm not getting why i get continuous reflection in alias and not in max' render. gonna look at it in Showcase too with the same environnement to see how light reacts.

Duron - i've a render on going. Light surfaces intensity set to 1 (instead of 50 lol) and sub pixel mapping seems to do the trick (even if subpixel mapping might be increasing render time a lot...)

Kangal

Yeah, i understand.
Anyway i assume u didn't match the fender with the door (seam apart which u've done after), this because of the trimmed surfaces, right? I'm interested and maybe i could learn something :)

Kangal,

there are no trimmed surfaces here. Only square surfaces

i used the door from my A5 Sportback and built a new fender for the RS version (see first post showing what i had to model especially for the RS)

here is a new render, with no AA on lights (intensity = 1 + sub-pixel mapping (X2 for render time :(...) and with a toshopped front fender :). Oh and more light on the rear.

Hope you like it like that.

Attachments

Kangal

Ok, so surfaces from edges and no trims, thx for the reply :)
I'm having some troubles to refine the sideskirts of my RS6 getting a very clean part, the design is different and more edgy, less modern i'd say.
P.S Great render the last one, and great 3D model as usual :) Only thing, maybe the exhausts looks a bit too wide, but it's a concept ;)

last render for this project. Reused the first backplate i rendertested with at the beginning. Like the atmosphere it has (sun flare has been post produced)

Moving to something new (with maybe some video tut :p)

Thanks for crits and advices along the way.

Attachments