[AST] 2012 Audi RS5 Sportback Concept

Hi guys,

some of you might have been following my A5 Sportback i just finished some weeks ago.

Now is some time for fun by transforming it into a RS5 Sportback Concept (cos today only the Coupe has an RS version), and at the same time giving it the 2012 new front face (and rear lights)

Here are some screengrabs of the current status (rough surfacing). Reflective surfaces are all new surfaces, blue wire show old model and surfaces that won't change.
New parts done : new hood, new front and rear bumpers, new front and rear fenders (and rear door at the same time...), new rocker panel, new front light, new rear light lens on body, new trunk with integrated/adjustable wing
Things to be done : new rims, and then detailling everything....

ps : i'm using and mixing A5 2012 and S5 2010 prints (+ reference images of course)

Attachments

Last edited:
X

xjamesx

Great work.. I read through your other build the other day. Nice idea of an RS variant of the 4 door. Both are looking spectacular.. Quick question, are all your surfaces single span or have you turned off the U & V isoparms in these shots? Thanks

-James-

Great work.. I read through your other build the other day. Nice idea of an RS variant of the 4 door. Both are looking spectacular.. Quick question, are all your surfaces single span or have you turned off the U & V isoparms in these shots? Thanks

-James-
Looking great so far :) Show your zebras
shots with u and v isoparms and zebra shot

enjoy !

no progress so far....

Attachments

EquiNOX

Nice workflow... just one question... On the front fender wheel arch flares... Why patch like surface instead of arch like surface. Please ask if you don't understand.

helicase

Nice workflow... just one question... On the front fender wheel arch flares... Why patch like surface instead of arch like surface. Please ask if you don't understand.
Yes, I would have done that with 1 surface probably, but i am not very good so....

A+ work Rain Knight, looks awesome!

you mean doing something like on the picture ? (surfaces done in 5 minutes to show the process)

it's simple isn't it ? because i've trimmed the square surface and it's getting impossible (and out of class A rules) to get curvature on the arch surface without having many isoparms (10 here !!)

i'm having more over much more control on the fender highlights with my solution, by playing with 3 curves.

last thing - to get the A5 fender highlight with this solution, i would need to get the upper edge of the arch surface way out of the square surface upper edge.... and then would not control this edge so well....

Take a look (again maybe :p) at my video on the A5 Sportback - i'm explaining and showing how to do it.

Attachments

helicase

you mean doing something like on the picture ? (surfaces done in 5 minutes to show the process)

it's simple isn't it ? because i've trimmed the square surface and it's getting impossible (and out of class A rules) to get curvature on the arch surface without having many isoparms (10 here !!)

i'm having more over much more control on the fender highlights with my solution, by playing with 3 curves.

last thing - to get the A5 fender highlight with this solution, i would need to get the upper edge of the arch surface way out of the square surface upper edge.... and then would not control this edge so well....

Take a look (again maybe :p) at my video on the A5 Sportback - i'm explaining and showing how to do it.
I will check out the video when i get home from work, but I see what you are saying about having more control to do the highlights. Usually i am just lazy and do 1 surface and just do that divide tool, so i have more math to get more detail (not as good as yours maybe). I want my alias2013 already... i wish they had a adjacent edge align, they only gave us across face i think. Alias - Industrial & Automotive Design Software - Autodesk

hey - smcars's finally back. Good for us !

some progress on my side : all body parts ready to export to max - still got headlights, rearlights and rims to do (though i don't know wich ones...the last RS ones are not so much of my taste...if you have any idea, let me know...)

and one test render (made today) as a bonus !

Attachments

looks good, your model seems to be very smooth and the program you are using has a nice wiewport rendering. i am just curious how u created the honeycomb grille in front...wondering if the program offers you any extra tools compared to max, because i see it being slightly curved inwards at the top and the best way i see me doing it in max is with 2x2x2 or 3x3x3 box. just wondering

Awesome...when can we have a good tutorial from you man ?
thanks man. I don't know. Don't have so much time...

looks good, your model seems to be very smooth and the program you are using has a nice wiewport rendering. i am just curious how u created the honeycomb grille in front...wondering if the program offers you any extra tools compared to max, because i see it being slightly curved inwards at the top and the best way i see me doing it in max is with 2x2x2 or 3x3x3 box. just wondering
thanks rickyss. I'm using Alias Automotive 2012 which is a Nurbs software. My grill is base on surface (which is bend in all direction, not only in the corners ;)) on which I projected the honey comb pattern (duplicated curves). Then it's trimmed (means that i can get rid off any areas i don't want to see, here the holes of the honeycomb pattern), and the edges are extruded in X direction.
If I had to do the same in max, clearly i would model it planar then conform it to the front of the car with a ffd 3x3x3 for example. Note that this kind of tool exists in Alias too, could be usefull if the grill is more complexe that a 2D pattern projected on a surface (which it is i guess actually from what i can see on close up reference pictures...)

another test render. Please note that at the moment i'm using the same scene set ups i made for the A5 (same camera angles, studio HDRis, shaders, and render settings). That's why it not necessary the best way to look at the car and not always the good highlights.

Attachments