With its rakish body of polished aluminium and usu- ally an outside exhaust system, the famous "duck's- back" 12/50 Alvis was one of the British classics. Simple in design, infinitely reliable and hard-wearing, it performed with great success in competition tor nearly a decade, a good power output being comple- mented by light weight. The 1,496 cc engine (68 x 103 mm) had pushrod-ohv in a detachable head, devel- oped about 60 bhp, and drove through a cone clutch (later models had a single-plate type) and excellent tour-speed gearbox with right-hand change. Chassis design was quite orthodox; when introduced in 1923 the 12/50 was braked only on the back wheels, but a four-wheel system soon followed. A top speed of about 75 mph was reached remarkably quickly.