Alias Rolls Royce Wraith

reef

Ok Don't get excited, I'm a beginner in Alias.

I wanted to start with something simple so I thought yeah the Wraith seems easy, large and clean surfaces.. but I have underestimated it big time.

Please keep in mind that accuracy to the design is not my highest priority for the this project. I'd like to get comfortable with the software first. Apart from the headlight area, I have only been modeling manually using the Nurbs Plane, and extruding edges using the Multi Surface Draft tool.

Alias RR Wraith Capture01.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture01.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture02.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture03.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture04.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture05.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture06.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture07.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture01.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture02.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture03.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture04.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture05.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture06.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture07.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture08.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture09.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture10.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture11.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture12.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture13.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture14.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture15.JPG

Another update later tonight/tomorrow. By the time the model is done you will be drowning in screenshots.

reef

Thanks BOJA.

Alias RR Wraith Capture16.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture17.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture18.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture19.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture20.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture21.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture22.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture23.JPG

The zebras look nice and horizontal in side/eye level views, however from extreme angles the reflections break :(. Is it the dip in the curvature comb that's causing it? Is that a good strategy to to model the side of the car?

Try to finish the project,and then you can concentrate on making the the surface cleaner ! And I think the zebra represents the continuity of the surface :)

reef

Damn every time I create a surface I feel like I'm setting up a trap for myself a little further down the line. It's like snooker where the players have to think 10 shots in advance.

I will try to improve the rear again later, I don't have better ideas right now.

Alias RR Wraith Capture24.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture25.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture26.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture27.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture28.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture29.JPG

Thank you for looking.

helicase

Damn every time I create a surface I feel like I'm setting up a trap for myself a little further down the line. It's like snooker where the players have to think 10 shots in advance.

I will try to improve the rear again later, I don't have better ideas right now.

View attachment 153491 View attachment 153492 View attachment 153493 View attachment 153494 View attachment 153495 View attachment 153496

Thank you for looking.
wow you are making some fast progress on it! I <3 Nurbs

View attachment 153491 View attachment 153492 View attachment 153493 View attachment 153494 View attachment 153495 View attachment 153496

Thank you for looking.
Hi reef, really nice stuff for a beginning, like helicase said i think you gonna make fast progress with this project. If i can give you an advice ("if you want to think 10 shots in advance" ;) ).. Before to create my curves and create my patchs, i always make a patches layout on a photo (like the photo below). It helps me a lot.
Ferrari-FF-1.jpg

Last edited:

reef

I bow my head in shame as I show my progress, look at all those spans! Getting there.

Alias RR Wraith Capture30.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture31.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture32.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture33.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture34.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture35.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture36.JPG

You're right blackleo, I should just finish the project and collect my experience points. It was never going to be true to the design or look pretty.

J8ight I wouldn't know how to break up the surfaces to begin with, but I do use that method with poly modeling. I think in time I will be able to understand surfaces better.

Thanks Helicase.

reef

I was kind of half joking with that comment, and this is my third car in alias but also the furthest I've progressed with. The first two were done around this time last year, but I dropped it because it was too challenging. A decision I regret and won't be repeating again for sure.

helicase

Hi reef, really nice stuff for a beginning, like helicase said i think you gonna make fast progress with this project. If i can give you an advice ("if you want to think 10 shots in advance" ;) ).. Before to create my curves and create my patchs, i always make a patches layout on a photo (like the photo below). It helps me a lot.
View attachment 153506
I thought i was the only person who did this! Lets just say for me, it never goes to plan lol. Does it usually match your plan J8ight?

reef

Slow progress. I've been trying to build a decent wheel arch blend for nearly 2 days now, I've tested so many variations but I still can't blend the rear fender to the wheel arch smoothly. There is a little continuity break near the tail light.

Alias RR Wraith Capture37.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture38.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture39.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture40.JPG Alias RR Wraith Capture41.JPG

the way you built your wheel arch on post #10 was not so bad. But use Explicit control when building your squares. Usually you can still get curvature and if you're not getting it you can still tweak the cvs and get it. But yes do not keep surfaces with 20 spans !!
Another advice even if i think you corrected it yet : don't build your roof and rear window with only one surface. Look at the way the hull was not regular at all - you should try to keep cv spacing regular at all times. Even if the result was good you would maybe have some problem later when connecting other surfaces on this one.
keep it up ! nice choice of car, rather easy for nurbs modelling (like boxy range rovers for example) !

I haven't modeled anything for a week. Being nearly 27 years old and still live at home with the parents can sometimes be depressing and a creativity killer, I couldn't even force myself to open the software. I'm feeling really dispirited these days.
I will force myself to post another update on Monday, promise!

Thank you for the advice Rain Knight, I realized my mistake about the roof rather quickly.. I thought I was being clever that way haha. I will keep it up till the end.