60's Contest: Ford Mustang

Just added a few details. Need to sort out the indicator lens - bad material and placement.
Added the 289 badge & Ford bonnet lettering. Need to fine tune the placement of those.

Roughed out the tyre tread, but I will probably re-do it because I think that needs improvement, and I need to make some sort of sidewall.

Been playing with vraydisplacement on the license plate, made some progress on that but I'll get a better map for the final piece.

Attachments

Stripes! Man , what a complete pain it's been to get those done. And I'll still have to match them up on the other parts. Any way, this may or may not be the final colour. I like the red , but it could equally end up blue or black.
I'm definitely going to remodel the tyres , i'm not satisfied with them at all.

Attachments

Krystian

Lamborghini President
Very good! I'm not sure but I think those stripes should be white, not pink ;). About tires, it looks good, I don't know why You want to remodel it.

Cheers.

This Mustang has really progressed nicely. However something about it urks me.. If I were to put my finger on it, Id say its the front, Its almost like its too flat maybe. I'll have to compare to real pictures.

You thinking of taking this and making a Shelby 350 GT? Always loved the huge front mouth on that thing.

Thanks for the reply , yes I think the area between the headlight and the grille needs to be better shaped. I'll work on that.
The car itself is based an early 64/65 but as if it was modified slightly in the late 60's.
With a Shelby paint job it should look pretty nice. i'll do my best anyway.

Reworked the back fins completely as they were totally wrong. Just about finished the back end now. Still not finished side windows and door handles.

Attachments

tom120934

Administrator
Nice work, the model looks completely credible. IMHO the color doesn't suit the car at all. But it's up to you to decide which one to go with, of course.

Keep us updated !

Thanks.
no final decision on the colour yet. My preference would be red/white stripes but it could turn out blue/white stripes or black/grey stripes.
Shout up if anyone has a preference or alternative.

I must get on and finish the side windows and doors.
Just wanted to see what the front was looking like. I reshaped the nose but I still think it doesn't look quite right. I'll have a think and come back to it.

Edit - look at that weird reflection on the front wing - I'll check that.

Attachments

Yes there is something wrong with the front. I think the grille and the lights are to small . First I thought its the hight of the roof...:roll:
The lights have to be more inside and the grille have to be more outside (hope you understand what I want to say)... other point may be the wheels are a little to big and have to be more inside the wings.
Sorry, lots of crits... but the back looks good. Good luck to your work!

Attachments

I absolutely understand what you are saying. Later Mustangs had a much squarer grille so there are many model differences. But I'll re-study the front end and make some changes.
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks , some nice pics I didn't have. I am reworking the front end now.
About the back end - some have exhaust holes , some have lights , some have neither , some have both! You tell me which to model! :)

Attachments

Front end heavily reworked. Still some tweaks needed I think. Also someone mentioned it may need larger headlights and I think they might be right. It's coming along.

Attachments

Also another thing you might want to play around with is the size of your wheels/tires. They look way to big to be under that car. And from my own modeling thats one thing Ive learned is getting the tires/wheels correct sized can have a big affect on the overall appearance of the car. So work on that and a bit more on the front and I think you'll be closer to a winner.

what the hell am I doing - i should be getting the modelling finished but found myself reading about studio setups and started some render tests. Doesn't look too bad but I should be getting on with modelling. Aah well.
Oh - made the wheels smaller , it does look better - thanks Icekid

Attachments

lol indeed much better. Though you are not wasting your time. You are in a competition and presentation is everything so learning somethings on the side that have little todo with modeling the mustang are also part of the big picture. Look forward to more shots, hopefully angle of the front. I want to make sure you get that front right :)

[EDIT] http://www.autovia.com/extras/wallpaper/Ford_Mustang/Ford_Mustang_1964.jpg , this image has a great side view, I'm sure you already saw it, but I think replicating that front from the side angle will really help your car. Yours right now is like a guy with a tiny chin. You need to make that chin bigger lol.

tom120934

Administrator
It looks damn good. You should try to increase quality settings for your renderer, especially AA.

Keep it up, you're getting better and better.

Last post for a week while I am on holiday. Render settings still very low for testing.
Made the wheels smaller before and forgot to lower it so it looks like its floating.
Rear light cluster should be rounder at the corners so I'll fix that.
Door handles and wing mirrors done.
See y'all soon.

Attachments