240Z project car

Hey guys,

A friend of mine just recently purchased a Datsun 240Z
Now hes going to do a engine swap, so he wants to know wich one would be best
He either wants to do a:

-2JZGTE
-RB26DETT
-7MGTE

Now i said he should go with the 7MGTE, mainly because it's lighter (atleast i think so, plz Zachary, tell me the weight of a RB26 :p) and it's cheaper

He was like: "I want the 2JZ, 'cause it's in the supra"
then i said: the 7MGTE is in a supra too dude....
Then he was looking at me like he saw water burning :p
Then I said: Well, that thing is HUGE, and i guess you want the V160 Getrag transmission instead of the R154 5-speed too huh? (bit sarcastic :p )

So what engine would you guys go with?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: the RB26 has adjustable AWD right?, Don't know for sure...

S

SlimyStrike

thought you might say that... :) ;)
Well it kinda depends on how heavy the Rb is, we don't want the front to be heavy
we aim for a 50/50 weight distibution

yes, the 2JZ is just a huge engine, so we discussed it and we think that one won't go in
We think about going with the 7MGTE, 'cause the aftermarket support of the RB26 is just small here in the Netherlands and teh 7MGTE is kinda cheap when tuning so....

Zachary

jalopy madness
Hey guys,

A friend of mine just recently purchased a Datsun 240Z
Now hes going to do a engine swap, so he wants to know wich one would be best
He either wants to do a:

-2JZGTE
-RB26DETT
-7MGTE

if he wants 50/50 weight ratio then its better to forget those straight sixes and gor for something like Nissan VH41DE, VH45DE or VG30DETT. ;)

btw. i have 240Z (1970 G-nose version) aswell, but its just rolling body though. (may be restored in near future)

If he wants stupid amount of power. He can do what i did to my 260z chevy 350 slides right into the hole no problem. Give nice drag times and alot of fun to drive.

Stupid Power?
7M-GTE not a good idea unless he wants to pour money into it because of weak engine head which almost always breaks if you have too much power
2JZ too heavy but plenty of power and stronger engine and oil system than RB
RB26 bad oil control and usually bad internals but great power and plenty of aftermarket support

What about an RB25?

or

VG30?

glad i could help:p